1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Epi jr @ CL

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Deeve, Apr 24, 2020.

1. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

nojazzhere likes this.
  2. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's

If you like the PRS SE One why not keep looking for one of those? They show up on Reverb I’m sure. And there’s a Europe-only reissue came out at end of last year (this time with a korina body) so you can buy one new from Anderton’s or Thomann’s or look to see if any of those start showing up on Reverb or eBay.

Deeve likes this.
  3. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

The price is kind of high, but it was a limited run in red. I like it.

dented, Deeve, Dan R and 1 other person like this.
  4. Ess Eff

Ess Eff Tele-Afflicted

Bolt-on neck... yuk.

5. Bangdapoontwang

Bangdapoontwang Tele-Meister

Too much $ for a bolt on Epi. Pass

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BorderRadio, Deeve, naveed211 and 2 others like this.
  6. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

That's a bottom of the line bolt-on model, without even a proper p90. I wouldn't bother, unless you really like the colour.

neilybob100, Deeve and naveed211 like this.
  7. Dan R

Dan R Poster Extraordinaire

Price is too high, IMO.

Deeve, naveed211 and radiocaster like this.
  8. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Nice guitar in great shape.

They punch way above their price but they originally sold between $100 and $150 with sales on some color combos dipping to $80 around holidays (TV Yellow P90 sold like that over the year end holidays two years in a row). These specific models have been discontinued by Gibson and the replacement models are selling at $400 new/$200 used and that is likely where the seller is setting the price from. So I feel at $175 is too high if you were to buy and resell.

This is my favorite player guitar for several years, and I have the usual top end suspect brands too that get no where near the play time this does, is an Epiphone Special Junior humbucker. I bought it used for $15 about eight years ago and have about another $15 in replacement parts. A fret level converts these into great players (that's the main functional weakness) and they only weigh 6 and a half pounds. They used to regularly sell used for $30 to $75. But now that they are gone and "may be collectible" they could be any price. Back in the 90s or maybe early 2000s there was a version of these as a set neck which sold for a premium new and on the used market (memory put them around the $400/$200 range).

[​IMG]

You can also look for Epiphone Special II models as those are more plentiful and then pull the neck pickup and put a Junior pickguard on it plus a P90 (humbucker shaped) pickup in it. The extra switch hole you could use to mount a kill switch, different tone caps on a rotary dial, or other mods. This humbucker I have I split to single coil with a push/pull tone pot and due to the high 16kohm humbucker in this, the single coil is just about the same output as a P90, especially since I rotated the pickup so the screw bobbins are on the neck side for more growly bass).

Last edited: Apr 24, 2020
    Treehouse, Deeve and ce24 like this.
  9. superbadj

superbadj Poster Extraordinaire

lol I love how people say "bolt on neck, yuk," thinking this is just some sort of toy because the neck isn't set, even as we celebrate the BOLT-ON-NECK TELECASTER on these pages.

Come on. Really?

RodeoTex, dented, Treehouse and 14 others like this.
  10. radiocaster

Maybe it was my imagination, but I was under the impression that it was listed at $150 when I first clicked on it. At $150 you could probably haggle down to a more reasonable $125-140, at $175 you probably can't unless the guy is super desperate to buy horse or something, so I say pass.

Deeve likes this.
  11. davenumber2

davenumber2 Friend of Leo's

Wait for one with a real p90. I have an SG Junior bolt on with p90 I got for $75.

dented, BorderRadio and Deeve like this.
  12. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

Hard to escape the sense that it’s a hundred dollar guitar. Not your fault that the seller paid extra to put in a P90 of unknown specs - or why wouldn’t you just name the brand?
    I bought one of these new as a $90 GC sale, single humbucker. I like that pickup.

The tuners, IMO, didn’t seem to work well, so I replaced them. Otherwise, lot of bang for the buck.

Deeve likes this.
  13. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

See how flexible the seller is on price. It sure looks nice, and I'm not as skeptical as some about that P-90....it looks to me like some model that was made to "retro-fit" from a humbucker.....may be a great p/up. I, too, am not bothered by the bolt on neck.....both my Teles have 'em.

Deeve likes this.
  14. Rbert0005

Rbert0005 TDPRI Member

My nephew has an SE One for sale.
    He is looking to get $340 for it. We are in Mass.

Bob

neilybob100 and Deeve like this.
  15. Ess Eff

Ess Eff Tele-Afflicted

Ahhhhh... it's trying to be something it's not. Missing one of the most important ingredients.

No prob if it was trying to be a Tele.

Realy!

Deeve likes this.
  16. radiocaster

Actually it looks like a Kent Armstrong to me, those are pretty good.

Deeve likes this.
  17. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

Itll need tuners too....too much $$$.....i got my burst for 70$....but i do like it...i also have an SE1.....i like it more.

Deeve likes this.
  18. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Afflicted

My wife bought the bolt on Epi Junior a few years ago when she was going to learn guitar (didn’t stick with it). It was pretty dead sounding. Had a big chunky neck. Pickup was cheap but passable. Tuners were crap. Would’ve needed some work had we kept it, thought about it for a backup/slide guitar but didn’t like it enough.

Personally, I’d save up the couple extra hundred bucks and get the PRS SE which is a far superior guitar.

AAT65 and Deeve like this.
  19. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

hundred dollar pickup in a hundred dollar guitar? Ok.

you can tell from the picture it’s a Kent Armstrong and not a $25 Chinese? You must have a great eye for details.

Deeve likes this.
  20. radiocaster

Most of the Chinese ones have that metal frame, well I did find a GFS that looks like that, so it could be a cheap pickup.

Deeve likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.