Epi Elitist '57 GoldTop LP

EMan

Tele-Holic
I have one of the "Elite" '63 DOT 335s...I got it about 4 years ago....before they changed to "Elitist".
Excellent guitar, and I have absolutely zero issues with it.

I bought a Gibson Historic R7 GT with the Braz fretboard (2002), and although the guitar was a fine unit, I hated the way it played...mainly because of the big, very big neck. Sold it pretty soon thereafter. Make no mistake, the R7 was a really nice unit.

I love GoldTops, and saw Epi's new(?) version. Epi's usually have smaller necks, which suites me fine. Have any of youse guys got a chance to play one, or have any rumors to report about this model?

Colo Springs E

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I haven't personally played one.....

.....but most all of the Elites/Elitists I've picked up were very nice instruments.

jumpnblues

Friend of Leo's
E-Man,

This may not be a lot of help to you but I bought an Epi '56 Les Paul Goldtop. It's as nice as any of a number of Gibson Les Pauls I've owned. I did replace the electronics and the P-90 p.u.s with Lollars. But it sounded very good stock. It sounds killer now. The craftsmanship is very respectable...better than some Gibsons I've owned. And, since I have small hands, the "average" sized neck is just right. I would like to someday own a Gibson Historic '54 Les Paul Goldtop. However, I fear I could end up disappointed after owning this (now) excellent Epi. Hope that helps. :cool: :cool:

Tom

dobrodoc

Tele-Holic
I've got one of the '56 Goldtops, too. I've kept the stock pickups, 'cause they sound pretty good to me, and I don't want to spend anymore money :oops: ...
But I have big hands, and it feels fine. I love that little axe!

maestrovert

Poster Extraordinaire
I bought a Gibson Historic R7 GT with the Braz fretboard (2002), and although the guitar was a fine unit, I hated the way it played...mainly because of the big, very big neck. Sold it pretty soon thereafter. Make no mistake, the R7 was a really nice unit.

i see this from guys here quite alot, and i must be dumber than a box o' rocks, cause i don't quite understand....
Q: how/why did you purchase a guitar you hated ?

no flame(s) intended Bro'....honestly, i'm jes' curious is all.....

Thanx !

Poster Extraordinaire
i see this from guys here quite alot, and i must be dumber than a box o' rocks, cause i don't quite understand....
Q: how/why did you purchase a guitar you hated ?

no flame(s) intended Bro'....honestly, i'm jes' curious is all.....

Thanx !

It's lust.

I fell in love with a '57 LP Jr VOS I saw at a local store. The guitar radiated tone. It was the sweetest guitar I've ever played. The fat 50's neck was just too big for me. It took a lot of will power to talk myself out of that one.

FMA

Poster Extraordinaire
Maestrovert,
I'm sure this happens to a lot of us. We fall in love with the idea of the guitar or its tone and we think we can adjust and when we can't, well, we move on and learn nothing from the experience the next time we fall in love with a guitar that just might not work for us.
Happens all the time.
And it's much less harmful than falling into the same pattern with, say, significant others...

EMan

Tele-Holic
Good point Maestrvert - and as mentioned, I just love GT's and found one on the net (LP Forum) in new condition for a great price. I never owned one before, and figgered that the neck would be a non-issue. Mind you, I play a '94 AS and a newish MW Tele most of the time.

I did make an honest effort to bond with the thing...just never happened. It's kinda funny, I sold it to a co-worker for exactly what I paid for it...and now, he'd rather cut off his arm than part with it!

In any event, thanks for the info and comments.

maestrovert

Poster Extraordinaire
Ah, i see.....a sight unseen/unplayed purchase.....
i guess you can chalk it up to a live & learn experience, eh ?
.....at least you didn't have to absorb a financial lo$$ when you dumped it !

Thanx for the replies to my query guys !

detuned

Tele-Holic
We fall in love with the idea of the guitar or its tone and we think we can adjust and when we can't, well, we move on and learn nothing from the experience the next time we fall in love with a guitar that just might not work for us.
Happens all the time.

I have a tele like that!

I love that thing until I play it with the band. There's nothing *wrong* with it specifically, in fact it sounds pretty darn good. I love the CS Texas Specials I put in it.

Still, I just don't get along with it...

Weird.

OaklandA

Friend of Leo's
Platinum Supporter
I got a 57 Goldtop VOS last month and the neck is baseball bat+. I love the look and tone though but I can't see playing it all day and night. I may have to get another in a 60's neck or something similar...which gets to the Epi Elitists. Awesome guitars. I have a Riviera Elitist and it is such a phenomenal playing/sounding/looking guitar. Best Gibson that's not a gibson.

I have yet to see the 57 Elitist but if it has the typically thin Elitist neck I imagine it'd be a whale of a guitar.

ac15

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free Member
E-Man,

This may not be a lot of help to you but I bought an Epi '56 Les Paul Goldtop. It's as nice as any of a number of Gibson Les Pauls I've owned. I did replace the electronics and the P-90 p.u.s with Lollars. But it sounded very good stock. It sounds killer now. The craftsmanship is very respectable...better than some Gibsons I've owned. And, since I have small hands, the "average" sized neck is just right. I would like to someday own a Gibson Historic '54 Les Paul Goldtop. However, I fear I could end up disappointed after owning this (now) excellent Epi. Hope that helps. :cool: :cool:

Tom

I once owned the Epi 56 goldtop, and it did indeed sound pretty good. I now own a Historic 54 gold top and it's leagues better than the Epi in every way I can think of (except price). A very "un-disappointing" guitar.

jumpnblues

Friend of Leo's
"I once owned the Epi 56 goldtop, and it did indeed sound pretty good. I now own a Historic 54 gold top and it's leagues better than the Epi in every way I can think of (except price). A very "un-disappointing" guitar."

Darn you ac15. I was trying to convince myself I didn't need a '54 L.P. Goldtop. Now I'll probably have to have one. ;) :rolleyes: :cool:

Tom

bender-freak

Friend of Leo's
got one, too...

I've got one of the '56 Goldtops, too. I've kept the stock pickups, 'cause they sound pretty good to me, and I don't want to spend anymore money :oops: ...
But I have big hands, and it feels fine. I love that little axe!

great guitar, no matter it ain't a real Gibson...i like it better than any of the real LP's i've owned...i did change the pups out for some GFS Filtertron/PAF thingies and liked it even better after that...ended up with a Stetsbar trem on it and like it even better, still........reminds me...i haven't had that thing out of it's case in a long time; am becoming more of a tele man for everything as time goes on, currently playing my Hiway1 and my thinline RI....

EMan

Tele-Holic
"I once owned the Epi 56 goldtop, and it did indeed sound pretty good. I now own a Historic 54 gold top and it's leagues better than the Epi in every way I can think of (except price). A very "un-disappointing" guitar."

ac15 - If you're talking about one of the 'standard' Epi LP clones...I can agree 100%. I've played them, and was disappointed by the workmanship in general. Although, the prices on them guitars are pretty reasonable.

ac15

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free Member

Darn you ac15. I was trying to convince myself I didn't need a '54 L.P. Goldtop. Now I'll probably have to have one. ;) :rolleyes: :cool:

Tom

Tom, just to let you know, the neck is very chunky and huge on it (almost like a Nocaster, but probably a bit smaller). I happen to love that type of neck but I think you mentioned earlier that you may not be looking for a large neck. The tone is incredible though - knocked my Tele out of the #1 spot.

ac15

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free Member

ac15 - If you're talking about one of the 'standard' Epi LP clones...I can agree 100%. I've played them, and was disappointed by the workmanship in general. Although, the prices on them guitars are pretty reasonable.

Eman, I'm talking about the standard Epi 56 Goldtop, not an Elitist or anything. Sounded fine, but the neck was tiny and I've come to really like chunky baseball bat-like necks like my R4 or the Nocaster (don't yet have a Nocaster, but I may eventually get one.)

ddhr

Tele-Holic
I have an Elitist '57 Goldtop that I bought last year around Thanksgiving:

Epiphone_Elitist_Goldtop.jpg

I've always been a single coil guy, but this guitar turned me around on humbuckers. To me the neck doesn't feel as chunky as a 50's profile; just nice and full. Great build quality, nice sounding pups, looks sharp. I can't find anything to change.

Doug

Grin'n'pick

Friend of Leo's
I'm in the market for a Les Paul and I'm seriously giving consideration to importing an Elitist from the US. Maybe only the neck size is putting me off, I want a bigger neck so maybe these aren't the way to go for me. Otherwise they look like a real bang for the buck. Are they nitro finished like the real thing?

As an aside, I just saw this one on fleabay, is it just me or does it look like there's been a headstock break and repair on this example: http://cgi.ebay.com/Les-Paul-Goldto...ryZ33037QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem ? Have a look at the headstock close up, it may just be a reflection but the line looks suspiciously like where the headstock cracks if you drop 'em, and this one looks to have been dropped or something with the big dings and all.

150c_12.jpg

I don't mean to cast aspersions as the seller has good feedback, but if I was buying that I'd like to know.