Epi 335 Dot---Nice! $250 New

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Platefire, Nov 6, 2018.

1. Platefire

Platefire Friend of Leo's

Was in GC in Shreveport last week and tried out a Epi 335 Dot they had sitting out on a stand. Man did that thing feel good. I didn't plug it in an amp but just acoustically had a nice tone and the action a great feel.
    Then I looked at the price tag---on sale for $250.

I was truly tempted but I already have a nice Aria 335 copy with SD 59 pickups--so that brought me back to reality. Looked the Epi over pretty good and could see no flaws. Pretty impressive! Platefire

howardlo likes this.
  2. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Friend of Leo's

Its a pretty fun rhythm guitar, @Platefire. But sorta generic sounding and nondescript in the long run. It doesn't feel or behave like a semi-hollow body guitar. I had one and sold it to a guy who wanted it more. He was gigging out with friends and I wasn't so I was happy to see it go to a good home. But I've had no desire to get another one. To me, that's telling.

3. Platefire

Maybe that's why it was on sale, the golden carrage that turns into a pumpkin at midnight

4. JuneauMike

Ha, right. But like I said it is a fun guitar. The guy I sold mine to seemed to bond with it pretty well. That's not much guidance. But if you liked playing it, I'd say $250 is a steal.

5. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I’ll probably get one of these someday - I’ve played my friend’s a lot and like the way it sounds clean through a Twin.

$250 does sound like a good price!

6. JuneauMike

I'd bet at that price it would make an excellent modding platform too.

7. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Yep, my buddy has a set of SD antiquities he’s been meaning to install for about 5 years. But he wants to change the pots too, and it’s kind of an intimidating job.

8. Platefire

What Epi pickups do they put in those? what they call Classic Alnico V? If so I got a set in my Epi LP Studio and like them much. Platefire

9. JuneauMike

It's not a bad job once you get into it. This is probably my favorite video on that process.

Of course StewMac sells a tool for the job if you just can't help but throw your money at them. ;)

StrangerNY, dkmw and BorderRadio like this.
  10. Platefire

I wouldn't want to discourage anybody but must tell the truth about my experience rewiring my Aria TA-50. Got a set of SD 59's Humbuckers, a high end wiring Harness and did a lot prep studying watching videos/instructions how to do it. I had a terrible time with my installation. I ended up pulling my wiring harness back out the bottom F hole two or three times. Was frustrated beyond belief! I'm usually pretty good with this kind of stuff.

I finally got everything installed but as a final result my
    pickup switch will not work in the middle position, only the neck and bridge positions work. Since I don't use the middle position very much, I left it as is but I still wish I had that middle position.

So I've considered taking it to someone to get straightened out but haven't yet. Haven't got the heart to go back into that again. Knowing what I know now, for my purposes wish I had taken it to someone with experience for the installation.

As word of encouragement, I haven't heard anybody else say they had as much trouble as me on their installation--so maybe my head is a little thicker than most? So that's my story. The improvement in sound quality it worth getting it done no matter by whom. Platefire

Aria TA-50 002.JPG

11. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

On Sunday I did a set of humbucker sized SD Phat Cat P90's in my Ibanez Artist AS100. It's pretty much a perfect knockoff of an ES335.

I've done the pickup swaps on this guitar 5 or 6 times since I've owned it and the difficulty factor hasn't really changed in all that time. It's a tricky guitar to work on. You just have to take your time, clear a good protected work table and if you get frustrated, walk away for 15 - 20 minutes.

Some guys use surgical tubing around the volume & tone shafts to help manoeuvre them into place. I think that's a good approach. The wiring on them is dead easy so I'd give it another go. I'll bet it sounds great with those SD 59's Humbuckers. That's around what I would have in mine if I didn't have these awesome P90's.

12. JuneauMike

Yep, you just have to have patience and treat it as if its a live bomb and its your job to defuse it. It sounds like you maybe jerked a wire out while trying to install it. Also, you should test it while its outside the guitar first.

I used waxed twine for mine. My process was pretty easy. In my case the pickups were installed already so I used the "F" hole. It would be even easier if you used the pickup hole instead.

1. I made a tracing of the guitar electronics layout and the "F" hole, transferred it over to a piece of rigid cardboard. Drew in and punched the holes. Sketched out the "F" hole.
    2. Attached the pots, input jack and switch to the cardboard.
    3. Wired it up as best I could to avoid wires showing in the "F" hole. (Should be wired generally in a horseshoe shape.)
    4. Plugged in, turned the amp on and tested that I was getting sound from the correct pickups. Powered down when that was confirmed.
    5. Tied up everything to the guide string that had been threaded through the guitar in advance.
    6. Carefully worked it all into the "F" hole then gingerly arranged it in generally the shape it needs to be in.
    7. Very very carefully, began pulling on the twine, back ones first, front ones last, and sorta made it inchworm into place.
    8. Then, two at a time, carefully raised the shafts into the corresponding holes. I messed up a couple of times, but I did as was mentioned above, took a break and walked away for a while.
    But using tubing from a fish store, or surgical tubing looks like it would be a lot easier, especially for that last little bit of jostling it takes to get the shaft to line up properly.

13. Platefire

Yes, totally happy with the sound. I've never owned a Gibson 335 but have played on other folks 335's over the years and knew what I wanted. The build quality on the Aria I find no flaws, everything is solid. Neck and action is great. It sounds and works just like a 335 should except for a certain mid position of the switch:>)

I seen a picture of your Ibanez on an earlier post and love that sunburst finish. Bet it sounds awesome with the P-90s. You need to take a pic and post it. Also love that Goldtop LP. Platefire

14. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

After doing this over a dozen times and losing the plug even more, I found the SM tool is actually worth it.

15. Platefire

I used surgical tubing. I well documented the whole process with pictures that I have somewhere.
    I didn't anticipate all the problems sense I prepared so thural, it kind of caught me off guard. I was surprised it worked at all when I finally got it together because I had so stressed the Harness with all the un-installs and re-instralls. So what I intended to be a well planned out journey turned out to be a nightmare. I guess I need to revisit the issues to dispel my fear of 335 wiring. Platefire

16. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Thanks. Now that I've got the Phat Cat's in it, I just can't put it down.

Here are a couple of photos with the new pickups. The black OEM pickup rings were falling apart and the ones that came with the Phat Cats don't line up with the holes so I opted for a set of ivory rings I had. It's starting to grow on me. The AS200 had gold pickups and ivory rings so it doesn't look too bad in my opinion.

IMG_4062.jpg IMG_4066.jpg

Zepfan likes this.
  17. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I bought a TVJ harness for a stripped Gretsch Chet Atkins a few years ago.

The aquarium tubing is a cool idea and it works pretty well. That said, it still took me nearly 6 hours to get that sucker installed. I was close to just smashing the guitar, but thankfully a cooler head prevailed.

- D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.