Enterprise ... Is it worth the effort?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 7171551, Sep 17, 2019.

1. 7171551

7171551 Tele-Afflicted

A Star Trek offshoot that I just never got into, so I thought I might give it another try.

Well, I've struggled through the first three episodes of season one- and I now certainly recall why I never got into it originally! :eek::lol::rolleyes:

Reviews online for the entire show are "pretty mixed". What's the consensus here? o_O

Greggorios likes this.
  2. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

is this the new one that's on CBS all access? I tried it and didn't like it at all. but the entire Star Trek premise burned out for me several years ago.

Greggorios likes this.
  3. CalebAaron666

CalebAaron666 Tele-Meister

I really enjoy Enterprise. It’s definitely flawed, but it was the last official Star Trek worth watching.

It definitely gets better during season 2. If we’re honest with ourselves, most Star Trek series (with the exception of the original series) take a season or two to get their footing. TNG got cooking midway thru S3. I didn’t really get hooked on DS9 until S4.

The worst part of Enterprise was the theme song.

Nowadays, the closest thing to real Trek is The Orville.

I’m trying not to get my hopes up for the new Picard series. If it’s good, I’ll be happy. If it’s NOT good, I won’t be surprised. I have NO love for Discovery.

Seasicksailor, 7171551 and Greggorios like this.
  4. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

I stuck with it... it gets better.

Tried twice with Discovery... not grabbed me to get past first couple of episodes.

I liked Voyager a lot and TNG was good.

7171551, Greggorios and CalebAaron666 like this.
  5. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I liked Discovery but was disappointed by last season's final episode (it wrapped everything into too tidy a bundle).

So there you have it. People have differing opinions.

Oh yes, Star Trek Enterprise... Jolene Blalock (IRL) ... yummy!

Seasicksailor, 7171551 and Greggorios like this.
  6. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

There are good and bad episodes of every ST series, including the original with Shatner and Nimoy. A couple of my favorites from the newer series are the episode where Picard lives a whole other life spanning decades in just a few minutes, a highly original and perfectly executed story, and the Voyager episode where 7 befriends an indigenous girl on a planet where she and Chakotay have crash landed. The Voyager episode where Chakotay assists a group of warriors fighting their evil nemesis is also extremely well written, with a surprising twist ending. TNG and Voyager were superior to DS9 and Enterprise overall IMO, but there are great episodes of them all. And, I love the way all the series mixed very compelling serious stories with light hearted comedic ones, something inherited from the original ST, which kept things interesting and entertaining.

bromdenlong and 7171551 like this.
  7. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

Never really got into Star Trek after TNG ended. I don't think they've been successful in building story arcs into the show structure although there are a few very good standalone and homage episodes here and there.

If you have Amazon Prime, try The Expanse. IMO, it's far superior to any Star Trek, especially in terms of character development and story arcs. The science/physics, with a few exceptions, is more realistic. No sanitized language either.

If you have Netflix, avoid Another Life like the plague even though it stars Katee Sackhoff. It's a grab bag of science fiction tropes and cliches thrown in a blender with bad writing, bad science, awful characters and mediocre acting. Ugh! Awful!!!

8. Brian J.

Brian J. Tele-Afflicted

didn't care for it, way to preachy for me

Verne Bunsen and 7171551 like this.
  9. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

Didn't think it would be good at all, not being a fan of Scott Bakula, but boy was that a mistaken assumption. And once it gets cooking, holy cow. It goes to some really unexpected and surprising places. It was surprising to find out Scott Bakula is a far better actor than I'd credited him for.

Didn't care for the most recent ST iteration AT ALL, and didn't dig the one with Janeway. But Enterprise is actually quite good, it just takes a bit to get going.

CalebAaron666 and 7171551 like this.
  10. edvard

edvard Tele-Afflicted

If you're adventurous and a Trek fan, try watching Star Trek Continues. It's fan-made (which will always result in a mixed bag of terrible and impressive chosen at random), and the premise is that because the original was supposed to be a five-year mission, but the show only lasted 3 years, they wanted to "finish the Mission" and produced 2 years worth of show (11 episodes, actually).
    They do an impressive job preserving the 'vibe' of the original series, so much so that seeing different faces on the characters is jarring at times. While I have to admit the actors are no match for the originals, James Doohan's son Chris fills Scotty's shoes pretty well, and Roddenderry's son Gene Jr. considers it 'canon'. They do have a few entertaining moments and even managed to rope in quite the stack of B-listers as guest stars for many of the episodes, which catches you off-guard a few times (Erin Gray? Beau Billingslea? Lou Ferrigno? Did I mention Erin Gray yet?).

https://www.startrekcontinues.com/index.html

uriah1 and 7171551 like this.
  11. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Friend of Leo's

its okay, but there's hardly any tele's in it. I kept waiting to see Scott Bakula in a dress.

Many people think its the series that killed the Star Trek franchise on TV. I think they are waiting for people to forget before they try another one.

if you have anything else to do with your time, I would suggest your pursue that instead. its the opposite of memorable....

7171551 likes this.
  12. urbandefault

urbandefault Tele-Meister

Enterprise is better than Voyager. Trust me. ;)

The first couple of episodes are a little shaky, but it grows on ya. If you binge it, you kinda forget that it's not the original show. The Mirror Universe episode is pretty well done, IMO.

edvard and 7171551 like this.
  13. Gaz_

Gaz_ Tele-Meister

A few years ago Netflix in the uk got every star trek episode, I've always loved star trek (especially tng) so I decided to watch every single episode in chronological order (lots of series swapping for tng/ds9)

Enterprise was first, and parts of it took the wind out of my sails BUT I stuck with it, and all in all i enjoyed it. It turns into proper sci fi, decent moral episodes and some great ideas.

That's whats missing in every series since, Star Trek isn't action, it's morality. The next gen still has the best life lessons. "It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life." And of course "Darmok, and Jalad, at tanagra."

14. 7171551

7171551 Tele-Afflicted

If you have Amazon Prime, try The Expanse. IMO, it's far superior to any Star Trek, especially in terms of character development and story arcs. The science/physics, with a few exceptions, is more realistic. No sanitized language either.

If you have Netflix, avoid Another Life like the plague even though it stars Katee Sackhoff. It's a grab bag of science fiction tropes and cliches thrown in a blender with bad writing, bad science, awful characters and mediocre acting. Ugh! Awful!!![/QUOTE]

No Amazon- Netflix... Sorry, anything starring Katee will get my attention, so I've already watched ep 1 of Another Life and I will probably keep going :D

15. 7171551

7171551 Tele-Afflicted

OK, there's obviously some affection for the show here... I'll try to hang on in a little longer. o_O

Orville has been mentioned- I've enjoyed it and look forward to the next season. A really affectionate nod to the original Star Trek!

I've just finished bingeing through both seasons of Discovery over the course of the past couple of weeks and ended up surprising myself with how much I enjoyed the show... Actually, it was this that prompted me to look again at Enterprise.

I've seen most of DS9 and Voyager, but doubt I will sit through those again...:p

Thanks everyone.

CalebAaron666 likes this.
  16. aging_rocker

aging_rocker Tele-Meister

I have to second that! I've been watching/reading sci-fi since the '60s, and I honestly think that The Expanse is the best tv series ever. And the original source books (by James SA Corey) are pretty good too. The tv series actually stays reasonably close to the source material too.

Series 4 is due in December, so you have time to catch up before then :)

bgmacaw and 7171551 like this.
  17. sonicsmitty

sonicsmitty Tele-Holic

I got very tired of the self-righteousness of the characters in TNG.

18. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

I think the producers thought that having her in the show would save it from total disaster. It doesn't, although she tries hard to chew her way through bad scripts.

7171551 likes this.
  19. stratoman1

stratoman1 Friend of Leo's

They lost me with DS9. An hour of that is like 5 regular hours

20. 7171551

7171551 Tele-Afflicted

^^^
    temporal anomaly?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.