Enter the shred....advice needed

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by grim83, Dec 18, 2018.

1. grim83

grim83 Tele-Holic

Im gassing for a shred machine atm and the wife has given me a budget to buy myself a christmas present. The main two contenders currently are a used LTD mh400nt (through neck, emg 81/85, hard tail) or a new LTD M200 (bolt neck, generic pickups, licensed floyd rose) both are close to the same price and screaming deals but both are online and i cant try before i buy. Im leaning twords the mh400nt as ive never had actives or a through neck and they seem like fun, plus its so cheap if i dont dig it I can sell it for more than I paid. But I also feel like it needs to have a floyd to be right....plus i dont have trems on anything but my cheap strat knock off. My last time down this road i had an ibanez rg with their floyd knock off and i hated it, and swore i wouldnt do it again....but some of us never learn.

So short recap, I want a shredder and need help deciding between the mh400nt and a m200 for the same price. Also feel free to give advice for a better option under $250

2. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

A used Ibanez.

3. grim83

grim83 Tele-Holic

Ive had a few (and one i really wish i had back) everytime i get gas for something like this i seem to buy an ibanez so i want to try something else. Im traditionally an lp guy and prefer thicker necks so I have a hard time warming up to the super skinny necks on ibanez guitars. The few ltd guitars ive played seemed to be a tad more comfortable in that regard.

4. cntry666

cntry666 Friend of Leo's

Check out some of the Jacksons. I was looking for a shredder too but ended up with a tele. I did dig the new Ibanez necks because they were too thick but Jackson’s felt good.
    Between those ESP models I’d go with the LTD M200. Even the GL Kamikaze model would be cool.

5. grim83

grim83 Tele-Holic

I looked a bit at the rr v as im a sucker for a v, but couldnt find one that felt like a deal. I would prefer to try before i buy but being in a small town in the south pointy guitars are fairly slim pickins outside of ibanez or going new at a gc.

As for the m200 i keep getting drawn back to it because its in the neon pink which is beyond obnoxious and looks like fun.

cntry666 likes this.
  6. BluesGuitarMart

BluesGuitarMart Tele-Meister

If you hated the Floyd last time, you'll hate the Floyd this time. The Floyd is a beautiful piece of engineering and effectively eliminated a problem that many guitarists suffered from, but these days there are alternatives that don't require so much upkeep and don't cause headaches at set up!

I sold my JS1000 recently just because I'm finally sick of Floyds and will never go back. Of course, the alternative is to buy a Tremol No at the same time which helps a ton!

https://www.tremol-no.com/default.asp

eallen likes this.
  7. supersoldier71

supersoldier71 Tele-Holic

Floyd Rose bridges haven't changed.

What is it that you disliked about them?

8. fendertx

fendertx Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I had that EMG pick up combo, while it was nice it wasn't head over heals better than non active buckers.
    Get the Neon Pink M200 with the Floyd. If you bond with the guitar you can add EMG's later

9. grim83

grim83 Tele-Holic

I think it was mainly that guitar, according to the guy i traded it to he had to do a bunch of work to get it right so it probably wasnt set up properly. Ive played others and liked it, but thats the only one ive owned. They do seem to be an extra hassle but its also not going to be my primary.
    Thats another issue, while i want to go that route i know the other one will be easier to return / flip (possibly for a profit) if i dont bond with it. The price on the m200 new is about the same as a used one, but I have no idea how returns would work with where im buying it so its a bigger gamble if i get it and hate it.

10. grim83

grim83 Tele-Holic

11. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Back in the early days, a lot of guys used SG's for fast guitar because of their thinner necks. A thin neck is supposed to help for faster play.
    The ESP LTD brand is a good guitar for most any need.

12. supersoldier71

supersoldier71 Tele-Holic

I liked Floyd Roses, and I have two guitars so-equipped, but they're relatively complicated machines, and quality matters.

My first Floyd Rose equipped guitar was a modern Kramer (Gibson Family of Brands) and if I'd used that as my only reference, I'd hate them too. But I played a PRS SE Torero and realized that a lot of my gripes with FRs were actually with poorly made examples with low-quality components.

Cheap pot metal saddles, knife edges and low-density sustain blocks are the likely culprits when people talk about "robbing tone" although that expression has always bothered me since to know that with reasonable certainty, one would've had to have played both a hardtail and a FR version of the exact same guitar to make that conclusion.

Anyway, I currently own a PRS SE Custom 24 Floyd, which is just an awesome guitar, and if you can find one used, jump on it.

And I also own a Charvel San Dimas, which might be the most tightly constructed guitar I've ever played. And the neck is satin-finished with a compound radius that's incredibly comfortable and fast. The PRS is supposed to have a Floyd Rose 1000, while the San Dimas is said to have a Floyd Rose 02000. They look and feel exactly the same, the locking nuts look and operate exactly the same, so I'm not sure if the information I got is accurate.

And both of them will stay in tune for weeks at a time before I need to unclamp the locking nut and use the tuning pegs.

Both guitars will do WAY more than shred, if you're so inclined. A Neon Yellow San Dimas looks out of place at a blues jam, but it won't sound out of place, depending on the player.

Wildcard_35 likes this.
  13. grim83

grim83 Tele-Holic

Thats kind of what I was starting to think. The Ibanez was used when i got it and I had no reference for a floydish guitar sp ot may have just been totally screwed up. Since getting rid of it Ive played a few others and enjoyed it but those were quick plays and not having to live with it. Well see how it goes, the allure of a Neon Pink guitar was too much to pass up. Granted now im waiting for the guitar and Im already trying to mod it....

BluesGuitarMart likes this.
  14. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

I've had a few of the lower end ESP's over the years and the guitars themselves are well built and put together, but the ESP designed pickups are kind of lacking IMHO. Easy fix if you don't like them though.

Congrats! Enjoy that neon shredder! I fully expect to see spandex and hair spray stocks rising in the near future! :lol::lol:

15. grim83

grim83 Tele-Holic

Ill just borrow the wifes yoga pants.... lmao. I have a feeling it wont stay stock long, a buddy had an extra set of emg 81/60s he was going to give me a while back...need to call and see if he still has them.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2018
    Chud likes this.
  16. grim83

grim83 Tele-Holic

Annnnd scratch that.... kinda aggravated at the moment. I sent an offer and the seller made a counter offer which i accepted. So i paid up, and then nothing. The purchase kept saying awaiting shipping, so i sent a message asking when i could expect shipment being christmas and all i figured it may be a few days. This afternoon i got an email telling me my money was being refunded with no explanation and the listing is still up.... Ive sent a message asking why they refunded but still have the listing up, so ill wait to see what they say but its annoying. So now i have to wait for the refund to hit and the other guitar i wanted is gone.....

The search begins again

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.