1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Enough Gibson bashing!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by jhundt, Dec 4, 2020.

1. P-Nutz

P-Nutz Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I have owned 29 Gibsons (out of 150 guitars over the years) of all models: various styles of LPs, 335s, a Firebird, Explorer, Midtown, Vegas Standard, all of the Hawk series, MMs and others, along with various Epiphones. Currently I own three Gibsons: a '14 ES 137, a '96 Nighthawk and an '07 Studio Lite.

Quality has varied, but I've mostly bought used, and nothing has ever been egregious. That being said, looks don't mean much to me as I've always played in bands and chit happens. I rarely "lean" any guitars, preferring stands (and straplocks!). I've had a few hit the floor, banged a couple into things (including ceilings) and had a couple slip from my hands that I've caught. I have only seen one headstock break in 50 years, and that was an Epiphone Nighthawk that broke in shipping.

YMMV.

Peace.

northernguitar likes this.
  2. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I think folks are in a conundrum:

They want a traditional Les Paul with a 17-degree headstock pitch and mahogany neck but don’t want to put up with the higher risk of breakage that entails.

Meanwhile, there are Gibsons like my ES-175 and ES-347 that have maple necks, volutes, and a 14-degree headstock pitch, all of which help prevent breaks. But those aren’t traditional enough and are junk...so I was told when I went on the internet.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2021
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.