1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Enough Gibson bashing!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by jhundt, Dec 4, 2020.

1. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

Of course other headstock designs can break...you can get anything to break if you try hard enough. But there is a verifiable reason why Gibson headstock design is seen as problematic. It's a design issue pure and simple. I worked with a very well known vintage guitar restorer for six years. I've seen my share of old Gibsons and Fenders (in fact I've had my hands on two '59 bursts) and I would say that well over 50% had headstock repairs. I've seen a '62 Strat headstock that was broken as a result of it being smashed on stage...that's the only Fender headstock problem I encountered in probably a couple hundred gutiars) I personally know several people who's Gibsons have fallen over and snapped at the headstock. These aren't exaggerated urban myths.....:) This typically does not happen with a design that incorporates a volute at the transition from neck to headstock or in a Fender style design. Just the facts.

2. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

My avatar guitar's neck was Mahogany and I put it against the wall while I answered natures call. Meanwhile my 3 year old daughter wandered in and started playing it against the wall. It fell over and snapped the headstock off at the nut. I was surprised at how brittle the wood was inside and trying to glue it back was a disaster.
    I agree that the main issue is a design flaw and that the Volute is a great idea. Personally, if I were in charge at Gibson, all the guitars with Mahogany necks would get a trussrod adjustment wheel at the heel of the neck. And I would offer more Maple neck/Mahogany body guitar options.
    I had a used Gibson LP Studio back in the 90's, it didn't have a Volute. Also didn't have a neck repair or need one when I had to sell it on. I know it happened on Gibson guitars, just also think the issue is overblown like the all popular "All Harley's leak oil" comments.

Bill likes this.
  3. El Famoso

El Famoso Tele-Meister

The “its” in the above sentence should have an apostrophe.

Sorry, couldn’t resist.:)

JuneauMike likes this.
  4. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Poster Extraordinaire

Is that what you want to be doing when Jesus comes back? Correcting summon's grammar?

joe.jpg

El Famoso likes this.
  5. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

Can't get enough Gibson bashing...

[​IMG]

P-Nutz, Deeve and beyer160 like this.
  6. El Famoso

El Famoso Tele-Meister

It was a grammar post. That’s like dangling a steak in front of a hungry man. Lord help me, I just couldn’t resist.

JuneauMike likes this.
  7. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Friend of Leo's

I've heard that a Gibson is good enough.

Deeve likes this.
  8. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Poster Extraordinaire

Like most everyone else, when I read someone's opinion of an instrument on the internet the first thing I want to know is what kind of hair style do they have. There's no room in Rock and Roll for bad hair. And so as far as I'm concerned, if its good enough for this hunk of a guitar hero, it's good enough for me.

peter.jpg

When the man and his leisure suit meets the perfect guitar, it really is "hard to say I'm sorry." Thank you, Gibson. You keep making weird stuff and we'll keep paying too much for it.

beyer160 likes this.
  9. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

I look around and I just don't see near as many threads bashing other brands as I do Gibson. Not by a long shot. To me that says a lot about Gibson and I'm just not buying the notion that it's all some sort of deep state guitar conspiracy.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2020
  10. bigbean

bigbean Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I ccaaaaan't resiiiiiiiiiiiiiiissssttt the impulse to BASH Gibson!

Deeve and JuneauMike like this.
  11. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Friend of Leo's

I broke the headstock off of a Gretsch Tenneseean at a gig. Got knocked over.....on it's guitar stand.

12. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

One day I walked into Boyd Music. On a tripod stand in the middle of the floor there were two guitars - a '60s Gretsch Nashville, and a cheap Japanese Epiphone flattop. I picked up the Gretsch, and immediately the now-unbalanced tripod stand went over. The Epiphone faceplanted on the floor, and the bridge came off.

I was just standing there, paralyzed, with the Gretsch dangling from my right hand, not knowing what to do. Luckily Mr. Boyd saw the whole thing and knew it wasn't my fault.

I never did get around to trying out that Gretsch.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  13. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

lol. Almost had that happen with my 65 330 {eek} at a gig, but caught it on the way down. It would have been the second neck break in its lifetime. I still use a double stand, but put the heavier instrument on the side with the single leg, and I tether the head stock on the idle instrument, which will slow down its velocity, should the whole stand start to go over. I've got a triple that's more stable, but overkill on stage.

14. BlackJazz

BlackJazz TDPRI Member

I spent "A lot" of money on my Gibson Explorer, it was way more than i should have spent on a guitar considering my financial means at the time.

It turned out to be 100% worth it and i could not have been happier with my purchase.

It feels great, it plays great, it looks great.

I'm not looking forward to breaking off the headstock at some point but luthiers have had a lot of practice fixing those so i should be fine if it ever comes to that.

15. tele_savales

tele_savales Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

There's so many things that happen when I walk to the gym every morning that inflame my generalized sense of hatred, that I don't really have to time to bother hating Gibson. Mark Agnesi is kind of a fish-eyed fool tho.

BlackJazz and Deeve like this.
  16. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Actually a Bash rarely required for a Gibson - sometimes just a harsh word (or even an indifferent look) will be enough to bring that head-stock to the floor.
    :rolleyes: ;)

Peace - Deeve

17. BlackJazz

BlackJazz TDPRI Member

It's kind of ironic that Mark Agnesi works for Gibson since he's responsible for consistently making some of the worst sounding demos of Gibson guitars on the internet.

Every time i watch any of his clips it cures my GAS briefly.

If i want to become afflicted again i watch a Greg Koch video.

18. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

I like Gibson guitars.
    I am considering selling my amps and a; guitars to buy a really good Gibson J-45 as I live in a village now.

northernguitar likes this.
  19. NWinther

NWinther Friend of Leo's

Son of a Gib......
    Bash bash...into the fire place you go ;)

20. northernguitar

northernguitar Tele-Holic

Love my 2012 Gibson Les Paul Special Junior. Take it from my cold, dead hands.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.