1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Enough Gibson bashing!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by jhundt, Dec 4, 2020.

1. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

I've always heard it was because Les hated the body style when they changed to the SG body type.

2. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

I own two Gibsons and at 73 I can remember when they were the end all be all. But that was then and this is now.

3. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

I think the first examples of reissue models would be the Les Pauls of 1968. Unless Gibson beat themselves to the starting line with the first Flying V reissue. There may have been some one-off Flying V and Explorer examples, perhaps using leftover body blanks, earlier than that too (circa 1963-ish?).

4. ben smith

ben smith Tele-Afflicted

my very early 2000's sg custom, they perfect guitars back then. full.jpg

stratoman1 and TeleinTX like this.
  5. Toast

Toast Tele-Afflicted

I'm getting tired of all the Gibson love in this thread. Can somebody direct me to a Gibson bashing thread? I want to read the robo tuner, set neck, bridge lifting, knob disintegration, body warping, price gouging, what-was-I-thinking . . . horror stories.

TeleinTX and bigbean like this.
  6. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

the title "Enough Gibson Bashing" was an admonishment to myself. In another post regarding Les Paul guitars, a I had made a somewhat disparaging comment concerning Gibson's quality of build. Some other respondents took me to task, which led me to do some research. I learned that Gibson does indeed build some very fine guitars these days. Since I had had my eyes opened, I felt that it was only fair to admit that I was wrong and to give credit where it was due.

The stories about my own experience with Gibson guitars were simply that (and nothing more) - stories; telling stories is fun, and I thought I would share a few. Nothing deeper than that.

I am not a big fan of Gibson Les Paul guitars. But that's just me. I find them too heavy; I don't like humbuckers; the tuneomatic bridge does not satisfy me. That's just my experience and opinion.

But one day, in Leo's Music, I saw a Gibson without all the fancy arched-top, humbuckers, and tuneomatic bridge. I saw a beautiful cherry-red LP Special with a flat mahogany body, a simple, single stop-bar bridge/tailpiece, and single-coil pickups. I bought it. I love it. I used it as a backup live guitar for many years. I have never been able to use it as my 'number 1', because I just can't get the same rich sound I can find in my Fender guitars.

That it now resides in the attic isn't as bad as all that. That's my music room. All of my guitars live there (or they did until my wife died, a few months ago - now they are slowly moving downstairs). But I have many guitars, and I only play some of them rarely these days.

Did you ever have a relationship with a truly lovely and attractive person, but somehow it just didn't work, and you never really knew why? That's my experience with my own Gibson. That guitar is still just as attractive and lovely as it was the first time I saw it. And I still love it. So I'm OK with the relationship we have now.

Bill and Randypttt like this.
  7. stratoman1

stratoman1 Friend of Leo's

I have four Gibsons and two Fenders. My next guitar is likely to be a 335. I haven't had any problems with the Gibsons worse than getting a nut filed. And thats not a problem

20200527_130909.jpg

nicknklv and Obsessed like this.
  8. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

The best guitar I ever tried was a Gibson, but as with any musical instrument made out of wood, there are going to be the possibility of issues regardless of brand. What I don't like about Gibson bashing is the "high cost". I look at how much a bolt-on neck, solid slab body guitar can fetch ... puts things back in perspective.

stnmtthw and stratoman1 like this.
  9. superjam144

superjam144 Tele-Afflicted

I like where you put the tele... It deserves to be the center of attention.

10. carpenter

carpenter Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Robo Tuner's I forgot all about those. They are in a box somewhere in the garage. They stopped
    working after 2 years. Body warp only slightly in a good way.

11. Mr. St. Paul

Mr. St. Paul Tele-Meister

Les wasn't crazy about the SG shape, but that didn't stop him and Mary from posing for promotional photos with them!

Even before the re-design, Les rarely (if ever) played a stock Gibson that wasn't tweaked to his liking. Check out the neck pickup, vibrato, bridge and knobs on the gold top in the second photo. He even moved the jack from the side to the top of the body.

lpmf.jpg

lp2.jpg

BobbyZ likes this.
  12. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Tele-Holic

I've still got all 4 Gibsons I purchased.
    !966 ES-330 TDC bought new while in high school.
    1980 Les Paul Deluxe bought new.
    1979 The Paul bought used.
    1969 B25-12 acoustic 12 string bought used.
    Those and 2 Martins were all I owned until 2019 when I purchased 3 Squiers, 2 Fenders and 7 Gretsch.
    I enjoy all my guitars.

13. fretWalkr

fretWalkr Tele-Meister

I've owned many Gibsons and Fenders over the years. I've owned a couple of Les Pauls, a 335, a Byrdland. I never really bonded with Les Pauls but love the look. These days I seem to prefer single coils. In my younger days I loved the double coil power and fullness. At retirement age I now prefer the subtleties of the single coils.

I only remember one problem and that was with '69 335 that wouldn't stay in tune. I replaced tuners, worked on the nut, replaced the tune-o-matic bridge, had the trapeze replaced with a stud and still had a problem. It ended up being the thin screws that were used at that time to support the bridge. Gibson later replaced these with thick posts like the stud. Once I realized the bridge was rocking enough to throw it out of tune I added another thumb wheel to each screw and shimmed it with pieces cut from a credit card. It never had a problem again. It's an ugly hack but I never touched it again since it became a miracle guitar that never goes out of tune, has a ton of sustain, and tone for days.

The 335's tuning is so stable it's almost freakish. Once I flew with it in cargo where it went thru many pressure and temp changes. When I arrived and got on stage voila - still in tune.

14. TG

TG Doctor of Teleocity

Using the Rickenbacker company as a comparison, which, I believe, has stayed much as it was in the 1950s, I'm not pleased with companies like Gibson and Fender turning into such corporate monsters and using advertising to convince us they are a 'lifestyle choice' and all that stuff. Makes me feel like I'm being tricked and manipulated, somehow.
    Earlier this year I had, frankly, vile responses to posting here that I prefer to avoid the Gibson company if possible for that reason which, as well as causing me to block those forum members, made me even less inclined to have Gibson on my headstock. I'm a Canadian living in Ireland....'made in USA' has no resonance for me, particularly after that incident.

But the Gibson boss Henry is gone now and I'm feeling more mellow in general so you never know....

carpenter likes this.
  15. Fuelish

Fuelish Tele-Holic

foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains, east TN
    I don't really have a dog in this fight.....I don't own a Gibson (although I do own a Epi LP, a perfectly fine playing guitar, really). I've played a few over the years, all were really nice, but then again, I didn't pay for them...I can understand if someone spent a few grand on an instrument that they would nitpick over blemishes, whatever...My Epi LP suits my purposes, well built, looks great, plays great, can't see a new Gibson being any less so. Although, yeah, the whole RoboTuner thing, they should've made it a dealer installed option, or something...am perfectly capable of tuning my own damn guitar :) My Asian made guitars are all unbelievably well made. You want to see some bashing, check out QC issues on custom built guitars from EchoPark .....talk about a ****show...

16. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I have no issues with Gibson. I’ve owned a J185, a Southern Jumbo, a 93 Les Paul, a 2012 R8 and a 61 reissue SG. All have been excellent.
    Fenders, Rickenbackers, Gretsches, PRS, Martin, Taylor etc all have the QC issues of mass production.

17. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Friend of Leo's

I've owned a total of 12 Gibson guitars since 1961. Eleven of the 12 were excellent guitars. Of the eleven 2 were exemplary Custom Shop guitars (ES 5-Switchmaster with three P90s and a '54 LPGT Historic).

One of the eleven was a disaster. Fresh out of the case the tailpiece was mounted off center and it fretted out on two frets. Keep in mind this was a brand new Gibson Custom Shop guitar...an L5CES jazz archtop!! It was also the most expensive guitar I've owned, by far. But, over all, I've had good luck with Gibsons.

18. BobbyZ

In a fire, Fenders burn just like Gibsons.

Catawompus likes this.
  19. BobbyZ

Yeah I've seen footage of Les and Mary both playing white SG Les Pauls. And yeah he almost never played a stock Gibson, seemed to be the only one that liked the recording model too.

20. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Bashing bashers for their bashing just adds to the worlds bashing problems.

Better to drown them in pity!
    Oh you poor consumers who just can't be satisfied, how can we help you feel better?
    Shall we join in your bashy pity party?
    Yes those Murican guitars suck!
    My Squier Affinity is way way better!

Maybe a nice gofundme page?
    You need some money and then all your quality control quibbles will seem so small they won't hurt a bit!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.