1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Enough Gibson bashing!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by jhundt, Dec 4, 2020.

1. Randypttt

Randypttt Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Sorry but I for one don't really understand the OPs...whole post. I've read more Fender bashing than anything else here.

The odd flirtations with LPs he sited I couldn't tell if he really hates them or...what?

And ending with a LP that he 'loves' but can't stand to hear so it's chucked to the attic...what is that? Love? Idk.

Ya lost me but good luck keeping anyone from bashing anything. Some editions of even the most prized guitars of any manufacture can come up short.

Sorry for the mood

Cheers

jhundt likes this.
  2. bftfender

bftfender Poster Extraordinaire

yup & and i am cool with it.... ! .? # @ % 7^

backporchmusic likes this.
  3. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

You expect them to be used properly, when most these days don't even know the difference between to, too, and two, or between your and you're, or between there, their, and they're, or between sight, site, and cite? I could go on with many more examples, but you get my point.

Richie Cunningham likes this.
  4. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

I do, but the inconsistency in this case was raised to an art, and I love art. It obeyed no laws, and everyone loves an outlaw.

E5RSY and El Famoso like this.
  5. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

I love teles and had owned two. I have a MIM C50s that is amazing

I have owned a ’60 GT that was a beater (bought it in ‘68 as my first real electric), a ‘70 Deluxe that weighed 12 pounds, 6 SGs over the years, a ‘74 LP Special (74/55), and will purchase a new LP Standard 50s GT with P90s soon

I’ve had issues with some of my Gibson guitars and they were either resolved (customer service ++) or fixed by a great luthier that understood Gibsons

My first SG fell off a strap and snapped the neck. Had it fixed and ALL of my guitars (Fenders too) have had strap locks and a dedicated strap for each guitar. My 74/55 has a repaired neck. No big deal

Gibson has had QC issues over the years. But everything I’ve read, heard, & talked to folks that have new Gibsons say pretty much the same thing. Gibson as upped their game and a lot of the garbage involved with Henry’s years is a thing of the past

Gibson bashing is a thing (real or imagined) that happens just like Fender bashing

6. Toast

Toast Tele-Afflicted

I have to believe at this point that Gibson has got the quality control message and corrected their manufacturing process. I don't know though because I have never actually picked up a Gibson electric guitar and played it. I had a DeArmond M75T that was probably as heavy as a Les Paul. It was a fun guitar, but I sold it. I'd like to try an SG one of these days when it's possible to go into a guitar store again. I do wonder about the neck dive issue. Anyway, I'm hoping Gibson has gotten their production issues ironed out.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2020
  7. bigbean

bigbean Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Yeah right, the Gibson brand should be bashed with a BFH once and hour for fifty years just for Robo tuners.

The current CEO should be made carry a set from one of those barrels of discarded robo tuners in his pocket everywhere he goes along with the pots on a circuit board in the other pocket.

Shessh what a bunch of maroons.

8. superjam144

superjam144 Tele-Afflicted

Something so blasphemous I had not yet seen. And thus, the war continues.

Band together Tele fanatics and thrash that muddy Gibson tone!!!!!!

giphy.gif

9. superjam144

I love how quickly you ran to the frontlines of this battle sir. You will be commended for your efforts in the form of "likes".

:p

10. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

I own four Gibsons: Two guitars and two basses. They’re all great. And, the basses - both USA - were only $400, brand new on close out. How can you beat that?

studio1087 likes this.
  11. superjam144

Do not forget to continue the assault on Gibson Les Paul forum members.

:lol:

12. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

I worked at a Gibson dealer during the dreaded Robo-tuner years, and I really don't understand all the hate. They worked perfectly if you bothered to RTFM! We had none come back with problems. It was a slight PITA to change strings, but if you were a Joni Mitchell type who uses dozens of alternate tunings, they could be a Godsend. And, they were one piece, and took only a few minutes to remove and replace with a set of Grovers, if you were so inclined.
    The thing I didn't like about those guitars was the metal nut and stupid wide fingerboard. I had no problem with the tuners.

El Famoso likes this.
  13. gionnio

gionnio Tele-Meister

Telelester?

14. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

I had two of the Les Paul 55s and they were great guitars. They were basically a "player's Special" with a mix of old and modern features and weren't a re-issue or replica of anything. They had good, lightweight wood in them, a 50s neck profile that Norlin didn't put a volute on, and did most everything right.

Give those pickups another try. The LP55 was marketed as having SSL-1 pickups, that stood for Super Single Coil-1, but they were just P-90s. Turn the guitar's volume and tone down, turn the amp volume and treble up, and starting working the controls as you play.

15. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

Do you really think that Squire broke because it accidentally tipped over out of a guitar stand or slid off an amp? I think we both know the answer to that..... :) To get that maple headstock to break like that took some determination or it was run over by a car. It doesn't matter what the names on the other two headstocks say. The point is they incorporate the same type of construction (more or less) as a Gibson. There's no point trying to avoid the reams of historical evidence that Gibson headstocks are prone to breaking off. Ask any repair guy how many Fender headstock repairs he's made vs Gibson. I love Gibsons..I own more of them than I do Fenders at the moment.... but the facts is the facts.

16. loopfinding

loopfinding Tele-Afflicted

i'm sort of ambivalent on gibson. i own three (335, LP, SG).

hollowbodies - wonderful hollowbodies. but so are guilds and pre gibson epiphones.

semi-hollow - i think the 335 is top dog. i like others, like a starfire, but i don't think they're as nice. i'm disqualifying thinline style cause the construction is different.

solid bodies - barring the firebird they're all vaguely les pauls. do you want a thin les paul without a maple cap? do you want a weirdly shaped les paul without a maple cap? when i pick up a tele or a strat or a jazzmaster, they feel noticeably different. totally different vibes, i play differently. i don't really play any differently on an SG, les paul, explorer, V, whatever. i think you only really need to own whichever one you like the best (which in my case is the SG).

Danb541 likes this.
  17. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Keep bashing the ES-330s, particularly the ones from 1965 with a Bigsby. Mostly because I need to replace this one and the prices have really gone up. :) 20200718_105538.jpg

studio1087 and elihu like this.
  18. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

why would I engage in bashing , companies, artists, styles of music ? what do I have to gain running someone else down
    A computer company sold me a computer and it blew up and when I brought it to their attention they said your warranty ended four months ago give us $1,100 dollar and we will fix it. :eek: I don't talk that mess about the company, I just won't buy any of their products , kind of a personal boycott.I have an H-P now and it's running fine. It's a very powerful =lots of memory really fast runs my daw and every thing that I can throw at it.
    Sure I can get down in the gutter , but it stinks down there and it's just a creepy place to go.

0000000KEEPER OF PATWAYS   ed4.jpg

StrangerNY likes this.
  19. Dave W

Dave W Friend of Leo's

I love both of my Gibsons.

I did have a major QC issue with a Gibson bass. Gibson took care of it under warranty. But over the years I've had QC issues with other brands too. It happens.

I hated the way Henry J. ran the company into the ground, but beyond that, why get excited about what corporations do? Corporations sue each other or threaten each other with legal action all the time. Why let that affect what product you buy? If you like the product, buy it, and let the lawyers figure out the rest.

DougM and Richie Cunningham like this.
  20. Buckaroo65

Buckaroo65 Tele-Holic

Once all the way... I read somewhere that Louis' head took a couple of tries, so...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.