1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Enough Gibson bashing!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by jhundt, Dec 4, 2020.

1. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I had a Gibson LP of some kind or another. I once posted a pic of it on here. I used to worry that during the night, the headstock might fly off it, go through the wall of my office, down the hall, and through the wall of my bedroom, and hit me in the head and knock it off. So, I got rid of it before it could get me! I think if I ever get another Gibson, it'll be after they perfect a cage apparatus that contain the headstock so as to avoid be killed by the flying parts.

2. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Well, if you have the really big strap buttons, it's equivalent to strap locks. I actually have a T strap button in the position closer to the neck. They're all pretty much strap locks, more or less, as are Grolsch thingies.

Mine (it's not a real Gibson) weighs 9 lbs. something, obviously no neck dive. I don't find it heavy, but it does feel a little weird moving around compared to other guitars.

3. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Oh, c'mon now! We bash Gibson on Fender-themed thread all the time, it's sporting.
    Then we go over to MLP and bash Fender. Then over to the shredder forum to bash both!
    Gotta keep things balanced, you know.

4. Steerforth

Steerforth Friend of Leo's

I like my LP gold top just fine, and I can make some crazy sounds with it. Not quite as crazy as with my Jackson Super Strat, but pretty crazy.

But to be honest, the guitar that I reach for more than any other is a BSB Telecaster with a black pickguard. Of course, my first good electric guitar when I was a kid was a Telecaster, so to me, they just feel “right”.

Now if you want to talk about acoustic guitars, I have piles of AJ-shape Gibsons and Gibson clones. The AJ shape is what works for me, after years of experimenting with various acoustic guitars. I also like D-18s.

Jakedog likes this.
  5. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

Some folks here are so close minded that they continually engage in not only Gibson bashing, but in Strat bashing, and anything else that isn't a Tele. I feel sorry for these poor close minded misguided souls.

6. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm a telecaster player..:cool:. all other guitars are crap.....mmmkkk ...:lol:

Jakedog likes this.
  7. Twin52

Twin52 Tele-Meister

A Les Paul has some great tones. I’m partial to neck and middle. It’s just a different and very heavy animal. As I noted in another string, I bought a Gibson Les Paul Trad Pro 4 at GC plain top, not flame top, which is in between a classic and a standard in price, with Classic 57 pickups, locking tuners, and it has all of the classic great Les Paul tones, plus some mediocre coil split tones but they don’t cost extra... and all for a lot less money than a standard. The model was a special run for GC, but I think other big sellers have their own versions. Look for them on the Pre owned market too. I did go through a quite a few before finding the one I really liked. There is variation in the necks. And there were definitely some cosmetic imperfections, but I picked the one that felt the best to me. And they were going for like $1600 on sale a few years ago. I paid less than that. Christmas is a good time for year end deals. They also had no interest for several months. Very pleased with the guitar.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2020
    studio1087 likes this.
  8. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Afflicted

I only personally know one person who broke a headstock off a Les Paul. A buddy of mine played his first gig with a Les Paul with a new band. After the last song the singer took off his Fender bass, held it by the headstock and dropped it on its back. The other guitar player did it with his Strat. My buddy, caught up in the moment and before anyone could stop him, did the same with his Studio. He now owns nothing but custom shop and historic Les Pauls.

studio1087 and Jakedog like this.
  9. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

Wow, where have you been hiding this?

Details please....

M2roadwarrior likes this.
  10. Jared Purdy

Jared Purdy Friend of Leo's

Having been a Gibson user for roughly 10 years, I understand the bashing. I'm not sure which comes first in this selection of issues, but they are all reasonable grounds for bashing. As an aside, my first LP was a Traditional, which I believe I bought around 2011 ($2200CDN). The next was a 2013 CS R9 ($6500CDN), which I sold a couple of years later, and the current one, is a 2019 60th Anniversary R9 ($7500CDN). All three were purchased new.

1. The late 60's/70's marked a huge change in the company with many possible reasons for a decline. Norlin is often cited as a huge downer with respect to quality control, and an overall decline in the brand's standing. "Clownface" emerged in this period. Horrid, horrid burst colours.

2. The company leaves Kalamazoo in 1984 and makes Tennessee its new location. Many cite this as a significant period in the decline. "Right to work" legislation gave them the incentive to head south. It was seen as blasphemous, in the minds of the diehards.

3. Henry Jerkowitz buys it in 1986 and drives it further into the ground by charging insane prices while quality control was an issue. Towards the end of his ownership, he was charged with CITES violations, and had to resort to using a rosewood laminate fret board for a number if years. Laminate. Yup.

4. Beginning in 2013, they were starting to get things right, and produced some gorgeous R9's. Pricey, but not that far off from a CS Strat or Tele.

5. Today, the CS R9 is the most accurate LP made sine 1959, and it shows. They are gorgeous. The tone might not be for everyone, but they are functional works of art. I had no issues throwing down $7500CDN for a 2019 60th Anniversary R9 with a gorgeous flame top. It plays like a dream, and it's a match made in heaven with a Fender PR or the 57 Deluxe.

Hopefully, they'll keep on the path of doing things right, even if they are pricey.

11. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

'66 ES-125TDC. I've had it since the late '80s. It's kinda been languishing in its case in the corner for a number of years. But, I finally got around to getting the bridge re-built and also put a new pickguard on it, so I figured it was time for a new portrait.

elihu likes this.
  12. blues

blues Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Gustavsson Blues Master?

13. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Zepfan likes this.
  14. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

Complaining about weak headstocks are attempts at sympathy, but reveal more than the victim realizes, badges of shame really:

Broken head stock = carelessly placed on a slippy surface, fell to the ground or, incorrectly placed on a guitar stand, fell to the ground, or walked thru a door way with authority, smacked the headstock on the door frame, headstock falls to the ground. Or, the picker forgets the cord is still connected, walks away from the amp, cord goes taught, whips the guitar out of relaxed hands, falls to the floor, breaking the headstock.

"I don't like Gibsons, because the headstock breaks." lol...

studio1087 and StrangerNY like this.
  15. bftfender

bftfender Poster Extraordinaire

Strait up..i HATE tele's

3 years ago when i joined ..3 tele's & 4 fender amps

now, 14 gibsons' 13 marshall's, 7 mesa's, 3 oranges & 14 other guitars...

just didn't fit in & am sooo sooo glad

swervinbob and Electric Warrior like this.
  16. tubeToaster

tubeToaster TDPRI Member

Not bashing but an interesting story.
    In 1976 I had a Japanese Les Paul copy stolen. I was 17 at the time and my dad took me to get a new guitar. I got a brand new Les Paul Deluxe. $425 in 1976. About 6 months later I was having tuning issues so I took it to the music store to get the intonation set. They discovered the bridge was 1/4 of an inch to far back.
    They called the Gibson factory to tell them about the defect. Since we were in Nashville they asked if I would bring the guitar to the factory for them to inspect. I drove straight on over and met with the head of quality control. They said my guitar one of the first guitars made at the Nashville factory. They measured and remeasured and left the room. About 15 minutes later they showed back up with two identical models and said take your pick. And I did.
    Bad quality control but really good warranty.

17. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

Abso-freakin-lutely beautiful guitar, Scott.

18. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

Thanks, man. I'm happy to be its caretaker for at least a few years of its existence. :)

M2roadwarrior and elihu like this.
  19. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

I love the absolutely erratic nature of the use of apostrophes in here. Kudos.

And I like the sentiment of the message too.

boneyguy likes this.
  20. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I don't talk trash about manufactures as it would make me look bad and all those companies employ all those people, who have families that depend on them to "bring home the bacon" . A scene from the Fifth Element to illustrate my premise. There is a very old saying from antiquity that says CAVEAT EMPTOR from wisdom of the inhabitants of Bed Stuy from around 1970 meaning "Buyer Beware", similar to quid pro quo,
    “eye-for-an-eye” . enjoy the clip .

How on earth did you break the head off a tele? Answer: In depth planning based on years of concentrated research, geometry, an meticulous execution; is the quest that I would put forth, but I could be underestimating the possibilities of spontaneous combustion.

Randypttt likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.