1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Enough Gibson bashing!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by jhundt, Dec 4, 2020.

1. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

Out of the 35 or so Gibsons I've owned over the years I've never broken a headstock.

I'm probably doing something wrong.

Fuelish, studio1087, SheldonP and 4 others like this.
  2. aFewGoodTaters

aFewGoodTaters Tele-Meister

I LOVE Studios. Very underrated guitars. One of the most monsterous sounding guitars I've ever played was a nondescript, right off the wall faded brown Studio. I was demoing an amp, and just grabbed the Studio because it was in arms reach. Incredibly resonant, loud, and tonally complete, both plugged and unplugged. Wasn't much to look at, but it would have made for a killer workhorse guitar. It was a true 'don't judge a book by it's cover' guitar. I should have bought it on site, but didn't. Went back a week later and it was gone. The one that got away.

studio1087, Buzzgrowl and Zepfan like this.
  3. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Not trying to make anyone feel better about a broken headstock, just pointing out that it isn't just a Gibson issue.
    My thoughts are that this problem could be fixed by not cutting the trussrod channel past the nut(thinnest neck area) and put the adjustment in the heel like Tiesco did decades ago.

4. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Tele-Afflicted

My teles are my favorite. But I do have a highly modded 2012 Gibson Les Paul Supreme. It is absolutely beautiful, but I was unhappy with the tone. I am also not happy with the cheap zamak bridge and tailpieces that Gibson installs on their guitars. I added gold metal pickup surrounds, Seymour Duncan 59/JB pickups, added brass tailpiece and brass roller bridge, Schaller strap locks and gold metal pickup switch tip, vintage control knobs and Optima 24k gold strings.
    IMG_0406.jpg IMG_0404.jpg
    Yes, I do top wrap and this guitar plays and sounds magnificent.

5. notroHnhoJ

notroHnhoJ Tele-Meister

The Henry Era, A: Had some issues sanding anything flat, and B: had some very seriously ****ed up neck building acumen.

6. Electric Warrior

Electric Warrior Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

I see so many vanity photos of Gibsons precariously set against an amp (or something even more unstable) with nothing else supporting it. So that's a place to start.

backporchmusic likes this.
  7. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Every Gibson I own is superb.

Every Fender I own is superb.

I cherry picked them all, and believe it or not, there were plenty of dogs that got rejected--with both brand names on the headstocks.

If a person buys a guitar and then thinks it's junk, it's their own fault.

8. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Starting point perhaps, but Les Pauls have such goofy balance that there's no way to keep the strap on the neck side strap button from popping off without some kind of strap lock.

Which may be why it's more common than on Explorers and ES series guitars, although some Explorers (not all) also have a goofy strap button position, and you could still step on an Explorer body and break the headstock.

9. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I'm reading Norm Harris' book, and I mentioned this a week or so ago in one of the George Harrison threads.

At one point (I believe in 1973), George's 'Lucy' LP was stolen from his house, and they traced it to a guy in Mexico and tried to buy it back. The guy said George could have it back, but in return he wanted a '59 Burst LP. After looking all over Los Angeles for one, it turns out norm had one.

George went to Norm's apartment to look at the '59, and while he was there he played a '60 Burst and fell in love with it. He bought both guitars, at a price of $1500 each. He also bought a 50s Strat for $750.

So, yeah, old guitars. But Norm still got $1500 for them. I'm assuming he up-charged a little because it was Beatle George.

- D

JL_LI and Jakedog like this.
  10. Electric Warrior

Electric Warrior Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Strap locks are 100% mandatory on my Gibson and similar guitars. The only model I worried about was my Explorer. That headstock felt like I was always flirting with danger.

But I've enjoyed almost every one that I've had. Only a classic old Tokai now but these threads have got me browsing again...

StrangerNY and radiocaster like this.
  11. buster poser

buster poser Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Wow, I missed this completely, but remember when that guy left Norm's to be their brand ambassador or whatever. Just abysmal contempt for the 'community' and so laughably snobby I wonder how the campaign got greenlit. I gather it went over pretty poorly... was glad to see the Rick and Marty (har!) takedown as a recommended video.

12. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Telefied Silver Supporter

I love the Gibson's I have, especially my Tennessean. I love my dog Gibson. I try not to bring them up too often on TDPRI. I admit to bashing them a little bit, mostly out of fun.

DekeDog likes this.
  13. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

it was just an old Gibson...

14. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

The context being discussed was live performance o_O

Steve Holt likes this.
  15. Richie Cunningham

Richie Cunningham Tele-Afflicted

Whatever choad-meister cooked this up has my disgust, scorn, and derision.

16. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

This is a very weird post to me. I’ve never used strap locks on any of my Les Paul’s, and never had one even come close to popping off. I think they’re balanced fabulously. They can weigh ten lbs and never wear on your back at all. All the weight goes straight down the center of your trunk. They’re pretty much perfectly constructed.

I do get rid of those stupid little tiny aluminum Les Paul strap buttons. They don’t work at all. I can’t believe they’re still using them. Dumbest guitar parts. Ever. In history. But with real strap buttons there’s absolutely no issue.

StrangerNY and E5RSY like this.
  17. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I've never had one pop off, either.

I have used those Planet Waves straps with the built in locks for the past few years, though. Getting timid in my old age. :)

- D

M2roadwarrior and Jakedog like this.
  18. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

Don’t be terrified. They’re not nearly as fragile as the internet would have you believe. I’ve toured LPs and SGs all over the country in gig bags. I’m careful with my gear, but I never baby it. I’ve never broken a headstock.

I only know one guy who has. His LP got hit and knocked off its stand backstage by speeding golf cart, and landed on its face on a concrete floor. That didn’t break it. What broke it was sliding at about 20 mph head first into the concrete wall. Oops.

Really though, if they were nearly as fragile as people on forums would have you believe, there wouldn’t be any whole ones on the used market. As it stands, there’s mighty few busted ones compared to the number of whole ones.

Most of my acoustics have mahogany necks with angled headstocks as well. Never broke one of those, either. Nor does anybody say “don’t buy an acoustic guitar, you’ll break the headstock!”.

19. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

I just have one. It does what it does like nothing else I have. Only guitar I own that's older than me (just barely). It gets handled pretty gingerly because it sure ain't no Tele. Thank goodness for variety and choices.

upload_2020-12-4_16-41-24.png

Last edited: Dec 4, 2020
  20. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

All of my guitars are #1 in some way. In no particular order,
    #1 playability: MIM Telecaster with its 12” radius neck and 25.5” scale.
    #1 fit, finish, and assembly quality: Gretsch Anniversary.
    #1 I wanted one in high school and could only afford a Melody Maker: Gibson SG.
    #1 sound to die for: FCS ‘69 Stratocaster middle pickup.
    #1 neck pickup: VN Noiseless in my American Standard Stratocaster.

A guitar, or anything else for that matter, is worth what the purchaser is willing to pay for it. Value is something else. Value isn’t low cost. All of the guitars above were worth what they cost me. All were a good value. I’d buy all of them again.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2020
    buster poser likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.