1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Enough Gibson bashing!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by jhundt, Dec 4, 2020.

1. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

only this happened long before the Internet existed, back in 1974. The Bay Area was one of the places where people started to value 'old' electric guitars; and my friend Fred was among the first who realized that they would become valuable. Ha Ha! too bad for him!

2. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

Gibson had amazing models that will go down in history and that have defined rock music (and a few other genres...).

Still, I think they're more expensive than they need to be, and I'm terrified of snapping off the head.

Henley likes this.
  3. carpenter

carpenter Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

How many did Pete Townshend bash?????

M2roadwarrior likes this.
  4. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I used to own four LPs.
    I'm down to three.
    I regret selling that fourth one.

5. HotRodSteve

HotRodSteve Poster Extraordinaire

You killed a '59 Burst!?! Where is that "unlike" button? ;-)

jhundt and StrangerNY like this.
  6. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I had one Gibson LP Studio that I had to sell for cash. Always regretted it. Never had a problem with it and it played great.

P-Nutz and 3-Chord-Genius like this.
  7. TeleinTX

TeleinTX Tele-Meister

Any company doing this to their products deserves much disgust. I don't care how fugly those Firebird X guitars were, this just ain't right....though I imagine it still pales in comparison to the number of guitars Pete Townshend destroyed back in the day...

Another strange move was the whole "Play Authentic" nonsense. Pure cringeworthiness on a monumental scale. Does this schlubb look like a CEO? He should probably be a General Manager/Director, maybe VP, but certainly not Gibsons' HMFIC.

But the biggest snafu Gibson made was to discontinue the Les Paul line after 1960 until 1968...the reason that the SG is the bigger seller than the Les Paul overall, and the reason the '59/60 LP's are outrageously priced. During the '80's Gibson had several manufacturers in Japan make the "Orville by Gibson" guitars. The craftsmanship was equal to US, but they skimped on some of the components.

All that aside, I enjoy my Gibbies, even if the stock Klusons never stay in tune. I also like that their "import" line is another name/organization, Epiphone....which has really stepped up to the plate in 2020. Placing the name "Fender" on every headstock, with MIM and several other "foreign" lands cheapens the whole line, to me. However the Japanese made are excluded, they are the bomb. I know there are Squires, but that's another level down...although the Classic Vibe's and the 1980's MIJ Squires are much finer guitars.

Gibson's acoustics are top notch. Fender acoustics? no way, Jose. Gibson isn't even in the same ballpark with Fender amps and basses.

I do like the way Gibson wasn't afraid to create new models, (some great, some not so great, some horrible) for the last 50+ years, a few off the top of my head:

Studio and "Special"
    Spirit
    Marauder
    Nighthawk & Blueshawk
    Corvus (yes, even the can opener is cool in my book)
    L6S
    Invader
    Explorer
    Firebrand
    Futura/Explorer
    Sonex (ugly and heavy)
    All the ES variations
    Flying V (designed in the '50's but released in the '80's)
    The Paul
    Shark
    U2, Q3000, US1, & WRC (Superstrats)
    Moderne
    Challenger
    Aldo Nova
    BFG
    CM/CME
    US Map
    Victory
    Les Paul XII and EDS-1275 double-neck SG
    S1
    '70's chain saw cases

8. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Just a pic I saw and shared. I'm betting that the owner tried to install larger diameter tuners and didn't ream the hole large enough.

9. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

[​IMG]

10. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Friend of Leo's

Pictured: no guitar stands

20200609_203010.jpg

Yes, I went back to a post from 6 months ago to find that picture, no I don't have anything better to do at the moment. ;):lol:

11. Mr. St. Paul

Mr. St. Paul Tele-Meister

Gibson discontinued the Les Paul model after 1962 because Les asked Ted McCarty to do so. He was divorcing Mary Ford and didn't want her coming after that income. The popularity of the 'bursts and Mary getting re-married opened the door to reviving the model in 1968.

I've owned 5 Gibsons, still have 3. Love them all.

12. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Yup. In my years running that shop, I had 100s pass through the shop and dozens with QC issues. That was never the case with any other company. I like Gibson. I own a few. They are the EHX of guitars when it comes to QC.

13. Buckaroo65

Buckaroo65 Tele-Holic

The head's been off my sg so many times that if I named my guitars, he'd be Louis the 16th.

14. Buzzgrowl

Buzzgrowl Tele-Meister

I played a borrowed '78 Les Paul Custom clownburst in the late '80s for about a year. Absolutely lovely dark warm tones. Like thick humid tropical jungle air. Did not have the $ to keep it.

Now I occasionally play a beutiful wine red 2010 studio with gold parts. Very lively and resonant. I play Misty Moutain Hop every time I plug it in.

aFewGoodTaters likes this.
  15. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

A few busted Chinese made guitars that cost a hundred bucks aren't really going to make someone feel better that their $3k Les Paul snapping a headstock.

16. carpenter

carpenter Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I do love the cm and my 60s reissue. Both no problem at all.
    Maple neck on cm stronger.

17. Danb541

Danb541 Friend of Leo's

Play authentic
    Robot Guitar/tuners
    2015 100th Anniversary models, abruptly ended production
    Hendrix Strat, what was that all about? It was there then it wasn't...Gibson sues everyone and tries this?
    Hendrix-Black_zmevei.jpg
    Faded series, these guitars aren't much better than a good Chinese import
    BFG Les Paul...What is that?
    d2b17af72f24ff91c741371e8f8b74be-320-80.jpg
    All of the overpriced mediocre guitars with countless variations
    Merchandising the name and selling cheapo guitars like Epoch and Baldwin
    The Japanese Epiphones are built too good, they stole there own market share.
    They created their own competition on the low end while raising their prices, then started putting the Gibson badge on the crappy M2 line.
    imageproxy.php.jpg
    Gibson diluted its brand. They need to scale back and stick to the high quality professional level guitars that built the Brand. That should be the focus.

Other than that, I think they're great!

bigbean, Chicago Matt and Fiesta Red like this.
  18. Seasicksailor

Seasicksailor Friend of Leo's

I have one Gibson (SG 2006) and it's perfect. And that's my only experience of Gibsons.

My impression from people's comments online is that they seem to hold Gibson guitars to a higher standard for some reason (well, they ARE more expensive).

HUGE GENERALISATION ALERT: Teles are often viewed as 'workhorses' and minor imperfections are easily forgiven. But I've heard people go on and on about how a tiny bit of colour has bled through to the binding on a Gibson fretboard, and be all up in arms about it. Imagine what would happen if a Gibson had a 'butt crack'... or the strings didn't align PERFECTLY with the pole pieces... or it needed shimming... or the brand logo was not perfect..!

stnmtthw and StrangerNY like this.
  19. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

For my own personal use, I love:

Gibson Les Paul Juniors
    Gibson Les Paul Specials
    Gibson Flying Vs (note proper use of plural “s”)
    Gibson Firebirds

I like or love many/most other models of Gibson guitars in other peoples’ hands...

Not loving or bonding with a particular model or type of guitar ≠ bashing.

Actively disliking a particular model or type of guitar for legitimate (or semi-legitimate) reasons ≠ bashing.

I openly and legitimately bash the Fireturd X. Amongst the stupidest ideas in the history of stupid ideas—and I’m including my dating history between late 1991-early 1992.

It’s all about preferences.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2020
  20. AAT65

AAT65 Poster Extraordinaire

So it’s been off once then? (That’s all that Louis managed... once was plenty...)

Fuelish and backporchmusic like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.