1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Enough Gibson bashing!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by jhundt, Dec 4, 2020.

1. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

On another thread I was called out for making some off-the-cuff remarks about the quality of Gibson guitars. And I decided to learn a bit more, and it ended up with me having a whole new outlook on those things.

It also lead me to recall my own infrequent contact with that 'other brand'.

Here's a couple of Gibson stories from my own life. No judgements, just memories...

1) the first ever 'real' electric guitar I played was a borrowed single-pickup single-cutaway Melody Maker. Up until then, I was playing on a $20 nylon-string classical guitar. That Melody Maker really changed my guitar-playing life.

2) I didn't own a Gibson for the longest time. I bought a Strat because I saw Wayne Kramer playing one. All the other groovy guys at Oakland High School were playing Les Pauls, because Santana played one.

3) 1973 - my first job as a roadie. The band leader had a Gibson he was proud of, and a Super Reverb. He did NOT have a guitar stand. He would just lean his Gibson against the Super... I jumped up on the bouncy stage of the Marin County gig, and the Les Paul bounced with the stage, and hit the floor. Broke the head right off. He tried to blame it on me. I said "f--- that, man! YOU leaned the guitar up there - not ME!". It was a beautiful 1959 sunburst, but back then those things didn't mean a thing to me.

4) I had never really played a Gibson more than for a few minutes. Then my group was called up to play impromptu at the local club (Mabuhay, SF, 1977) using the other groups gear. Great! A Marshall stack (I had never played one) and a Flying V (I had never played one) with tiny skinny strings (I had never played with them). It was a total wreck! That Gibson felt SO strange, and I broke three strings in the first song!

I did eventually buy a Gibson of my own. In 1977 I bought a brand-new 1974 Gibson re-issue of a 1955 Gibson LP Special. I have been told that this may be the first example of an American guitar builder re-issuing a replica model.I don't know, I just know the guitar was beautiful, and almost as simple as a Telecaster (but it had too many knobs!)

I still have that guitar. I love it, it is still as enchantingly beautiful as it was way back then, hanging on the wall at Leo's Music. I love to play it. But I have never really found a way to love the sound of the pickups. So it is my eternal secret love, hidden away in the attic.

2. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

Sorry. It's just so easy to bring up Gibson's spotty quality reputation in recent years when someone is trashing recent production cheap guitars.

RomanS likes this.
  3. bigbean

bigbean Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Sorry, not enough Gibson bashing. I own two Gibson guitars. I love them both.

Even though Henry's gone and he is not coming back, the brand needs some more bashing in my opinion.

I mean, heck this is the Telecaster board.

Fender vs Gibson
    Ford vs Chevy
    Heavy vs Soul
    Jocks vs Greasers

4. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

The only thing that makes it holy grail and six figures is today's dumb internet-fueled ideas about things like that.
    I never use a guitar stand, and never will

StrangerNY, Henley, jhundt and 2 others like this.
  5. Marn99

Marn99 Tele-Holic

If I may, I'd like to offer a compromise....
    [​IMG]

sdsy1212, wevard, Ron C and 42 others like this.
  6. Joshtheguitarguy

Joshtheguitarguy TDPRI Member

Somewhere in this cold universe. Or am I an alien?
    Those are cool. I think Brian Wampler has one.

7. Joshtheguitarguy

Joshtheguitarguy TDPRI Member

Somewhere in this cold universe. Or am I an alien?
    That's true, even if it was the best guitar in the world, it´s still worth that much to other people who buy them. Just a bad way to treat something like that.

8. Richie Cunningham

Richie Cunningham Tele-Holic

C946AA1E-76C4-4E40-AAAF-D8825DD56512.jpeg 7559B8CF-291D-48F4-970C-468022D1D192.jpeg
    538EA608-2C9E-4CA9-8503-55ED97247049.jpeg

wevard and Steerforth like this.
  9. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

You can tell their guitars are awful because no real, full-time, professional musicians ever play them.

And I like to take my opinions on what is good and what works from any random amateur internet denizen anyway.

10. gusfinley

gusfinley Tele-Afflicted

Paulecaster?

11. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I've had four Gibsons; all were wonderful guitars. Still have two of them. That is all.

12. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

When I worked at a musical instrument store as I was going to college, Gibson was always the brand that gave us the most warranty and QC issues. That said, they do make good instruments, but not consistently.

LOSTVENTURE, nicknklv and notroHnhoJ like this.
  13. Richie Cunningham

Richie Cunningham Tele-Holic

What percentage of issues with Gibsons do you suppose are due to novice/dumb people getting them in their hands?

Fender-guy and SheldonP like this.
  14. aFewGoodTaters

aFewGoodTaters Tele-Meister

I've owned 8 or 10 Gibsons over the years...Studios, Standards, and Custom Shops. As old as an '89 and as new as a 2020. All of them have been really nice. My Custom Shop Les Paul Jr is best all around guitar I've ever owned.

I don't engage in Gibson bashing threads. I'm not a Gibson brand loyalist, I like a lot of different guitar brands for different reasons, but there is really no point in trying to argue with folks in those threads.

15. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

upload_2020-12-4_14-44-45.jpeg upload_2020-12-4_14-45-8.jpeg It's only a Gibson problem right?

16. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

Me too. And to be realistic, in 1973 a ‘59 burst wasn’t a holy grail religious icon. It was just a used guitar. It was a very nice used guitar. But it wasn’t anywhere NEAR six figures. Maybe $1k on a really good day.

17. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

I love Gibson bashing. You get to hear detailed, specific reasons why non-owners believe Gibson is paying folks to take their instruments. For over 100 years. At higher than Fender prices. <g>

fjblair, Jared Purdy, JL_LI and 2 others like this.
  18. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

I’ve bought some of my Gibsons used, in brick and mortar stores. I’ve bought almost as many online, sight unseen. I’ve never come across one in a store, or had one delivered to me that had quality issues.

I’ve personally had-

‘75 Les Paul Deluxe
    ‘78 Les Paul Standard
    ‘79 Les Paul Custom
    ‘88 Les Paul Standard
    ‘89 Les Paul Studio
    ‘96 Les Paul Special
    ‘02 Les Paul Special
    ‘06 Les Paul Faded*
    ‘10 Les Paul Jr
    ‘13 Les Paul Signature T*
    ‘19 Les Paul Classic*

‘78 “The SG”
    ‘98 SG Special
    ‘98 SG Special*
    ‘99 SG Standard
    ‘11 SG classic*
    ‘12 SG Special Faded
    ‘08 SG Jr*

‘06 Faded Flying V*

Starred ones were bought mail order sight unseen.

I’ve never come across a bad one in a store. I’ve come across a bunch that could use a good setup. But none that had any issues that would make me walk away.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2020
    Antoon, stnmtthw, ieatlions and 8 others like this.
  19. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

The Gibsons I've seen recently were awesome. The worst Gibson I ever had in my life was an '82 Les Paul Custom that I owned, a white one. The binding wasn't even shaved down to the height of the guitar body - it protruded visibly! And the thing just felt weird playing it. A friend of mine, whose dad previously built guitars for Gibson (and later at Heritage) looked at my Les Paul and told me his dad would have thrown that into the fireplace. On the other hand, I had a '92 Les Paul Standard that was the best guitar ever, and I regret selling it.

I have an '86 Heritage that is perfect, but from what I understand they had a rough year, quality-wise (2013 I believe?). But they're back on top of their game. Fender had their problems in the 70's, and so did Gretsch.

The more human hands are involved in something, the more it will cost but the higher the chances of goofs occurring. Right now, I'm only buying inexpensive CNC built guitars from the far-east, which are pretty much perfect in every regard.

20. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

deytookerjaabs likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.