ENO Pedals

Discussion in 'Pedal/Effects Owners Clubs' started by Agitator, Jul 15, 2013.

1. Agitator

Agitator Friend of Leo's

Here's my mini-review of the ENO Rat Distortion DR-1S:

The rubber is off, the velcro is on! For $40, this is close enough to the classic Rat sound to keep around as a spare.

Longer review:

My Rat is a ca. 1992 Rat 2, Keeley Modded. I don't really have a strong sense of "before and after" with the standard Rat sound, so any differences I noticed compared to this pedal might be due more to the Keeley mod than to the actual differences from the stock Rat.

That said, all comparisons are with the Keeley version of the standard Rat sound.

Setting the pedal up quickly, with all the knobs in approximately the same place as on my Rat, gave me a pretty close approximation of the Rat sound.

To my ears, it was a little "rougher", a little more "raspy" and less "smooth" sounding. Tweaking the knobs got it into pretty much the same ballpark as my Rat. I didn't spend a lot of time tweaking the knobs because I could get a sound that I liked without a lot of tweaking, even if it wasn't identical to the sound of my modded Rat. Same fat, distorted, compressed sound we all know and love.

I've never played a Turbo Rat, but the "Turbo" option on the Eno sounded fine. A little louder and a little less distorted than the "Vintage" option.

All in all, a fine pedal to my ears. Very much good enough to serve as a "second Rat" for a second pedalboard. My only reservations about using it as my primary distortion would be related to concerns about reliability and form factor more than the sound of the thing.

2. Agitator

Agitator Friend of Leo's

[​IMG]

Horrible, nasty, thin pick I got with my pedal (note that the tip is shaped funny, too):

[​IMG]

Here's the inside, which is not particularly enlightening:

[​IMG]

Some other notes:

Compared to my Mooer Blues Crab, the instruction manuals look virtually identical, down to the exact same language in places.

However, the actual packaging is quite different. The Eno box (right) is a little less glossy and uses less cardboard than the Mooer box (left):

[​IMG]

Also, the pedals themselves use different types of metal cases. These are the only two pedals I've seen from either brand so I don't know if there's any variation among each brand (again, Eno on the right, Mooer on the left):

[​IMG]

3. thinkdifferent

thinkdifferent Tele-Meister

Thanks for this quick review, I was wondering what the differences between these two lines were. Even more so because they appeared after the Mooer/Marcmart falling out, and then the appearance of Donnerdeal and the ENO line.
    Cheers

4. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Thanks for the review. I've been gassing for a Rat, so maybe this is my "entry level" (meaning: least expensive) Rat to get my ears wet with.

5. czech-one-2

czech-one-2 Friend of Leo's

Cool, I just stumbled on to this new sub forum!
    +2 on the ENO! My ENO rat sounds identical to the Mooer black secret I used to own. I dont think reliability will be an issue with these either.
    Check your gut shot photo though...they hot-glue the DC jacks in instead of using a nut!:eek:
    You will never be able to dis-assemble your ENO due to this shoddy assembly technique, so we'll never know if it has the 'mojo' LM308N chip inside. But really, who cares! It sounds like a RAT.

6. chuck_zc

chuck_zc Tele-Meister

I own the ENO blue tuner and just ordered the DM-3. Sounded good online. Supposed to be a clone of the Metal Muff. Time will tell.

7. mmelnick

mmelnick NEW MEMBER!

The most annoying thing about the ENO pedal is the rough edge where the plate meets the unit. I wanted to return it after seeing it, but the shipping is 1/3 the price back to China so i'm gonna keep it.

8. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

You must like the tuner enough to order the DM-3. I've been checking out that tuner. Likes/dislikes?

9. Donnerdeal

Donnerdeal TDPRI Member Vendor Member

Eno Pedals Clone List

Eno pedals:
    DSO-2 is Fulltone OCD, (Great)
    DR-1S is ProCo Rat,(Great)
    OD-9 is Ibanez TS-9, (Great)
    DM-3 is EHX Metal Muff,
    DA-3 is BOSS DS-1, (Broken)
    DS-1 is Mi Audio Crunch Box,
    PT-21 Tuner
    OCT-1 Octaver is Boss OC-2 Octave
    Eno BMF Fuzz is Big Muff
    Eno CH-2 is Boss CH-1 (Broken)

10. chuck_zc

chuck_zc Tele-Meister

Tuner is working out great so far. Really liking the sound of the DM-3. I'm not partial on the hi-boost/lo-boost switch so I just leave it in the middle. It's primary function, I think, is aimed at the "hair metal" sound which it does quite nicely(think Metal Zone). What really threw me for a loop was how good it sounded with the gain rolled back a bit. Breaks up really nicely. Just received a Nu-X AS-4 from the same company. Can't go wrong for the sound and a price of $27.00! I've noticed the Eno brand is sneaking up slightly in price but Donner has their own in house brand for a lot less.
    Picked up a mid 90's The Rat last week so for now the DM-4 is laid to one side.

11. Mr Mxyzptlk

Mr Mxyzptlk Tele-Meister

I see that it has been quiet here in the Eno pedal owners' club for nearly a year (!), so I've decided to post about my burgeoning Eno dirt pedal collection:

[​IMG]

Clockwise from top:
    TC-13 (aka DR-1S) Myomorpha (Pro Co RAT clone)
    TC-15 (aka DS-1) Classic (MI Audio Crunch Box Distortion clone)
    TC-16 (aka DSO-2) Trouble (Fulltone OCD clone)
    TC-17 (aka OD-9) ES-9 (Ibanez TS-9 Tube Screamer clone)
    TC-18 BMF (Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi clone)

I like these pedals because they provide access to an array of classic pedal sounds at a modest price, and with a small physical footprint. To my ears, they all sound great. My favorite might be the Myomorpha, because of its sheer versatility, as well as its satisfying sound.

I'm considering selling the Classic. It produces a convincing cranked Marshall sound, as it is designed to do, but I believe the Myomorpha and Trouble can perform a similar function and so much more besides. Also, the Myomorpha and Trouble have toggle switches, and the Classic does not. :lol:

I hope that other Eno owners will continue to post their impressions. It seems as if these pedals aren't discussed nearly as much as similar offerings from Mooer and Joyo. I'd particularly like to read about users' experiences with Eno's non-dirt offerings (chorus, delay, flanger, tremolo, etc.) and the pedals in Eno's Mythologik and Xtreme series.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2014
  12. garage_band

garage_band TDPRI Member

How does the Myomorpha do at low gain settings?
    I'm currently "RAT-less" and am looking for something to fill the void.

13. Mr Mxyzptlk

Mr Mxyzptlk Tele-Meister

It sounds very good to me at low-gain settings. Low-gain is generally my preference when I'm playing with a dirty sound. Only occasionally do I encounter a situation where I need Marshall-style "crunch." That's why I'm planning to sell my Eno Classic, which does not do low-gain very well.

The RAT clone might not sound identical to the Crunch Box clone at medium- to high-gain settings, but to me it's close enough, and certainly pleasing in its own right. I haven't encountered another pedal that can produce as convincingly the range of sounds that the RAT clone can, from light overdrive to crunch to high-gain distortion to fuzz.

I do also have a Mooer Blues Crab (Bluesbreaker v1 clone) for transparent overdrive. I think I might actually prefer the Myomorpha in that gain range, but I'll probably keep the Blues Crab around in case a) my tastes change, or b) I ever want to have both pedals on my board at the same time, so that I can switch between low- and higher-gain without reaching down to twiddle knobs. (Edit: Or for stacking, of course!)

14. roosme

roosme TDPRI Member

I've just ordered the DR-1S after watching a Youtube comparison with the Rat. $30.10 at Donnerdeal.

15. StormJH1

StormJH1 Tele-Holic

Good tip! Was actually looking for some information on these pedals, glad to find this club. Have bought tons of Joyo stuff, but have not tried some of the other clones. I hear pretty good things about these, quality-wise. Micro size is cool, too.

How is U.S. shipping from that Donnerdeal website? Can they get it to you reasonably fast? Seems to indicate warehouses in the U.S. and U.K., so it isn't coming from China like some vendors, correct?

16. roosme

roosme TDPRI Member

We'll see. I'll report back when I get it. Thought I'd take the chance, and right, the site mentions U.S. & U.K. warehouses, so hopefully it won't be a long wait.

17. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

I have been using the Trouble OD (OCD clone) for about a year now and it's a great pedal! Way more versatile than I would have thought and has been extremely reliable. Nice to hear about others in the Eno line.

18. Roman4405

Roman4405 TDPRI Member

I have the BMF, really cool sounding little pedal but I think I'm more of a Fuzz Face kinda guy. I'd like to try out their CH-2, I need a chorus.

But, overall, for the price it's a great little pedal...even if they labeled it wrong.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.