1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Enjoy my dumbness! Best app for figuring out what the heck I recorded?

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by RoscoeElegante, Mar 6, 2021.

1. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

And yes, I teech at the colidge, to.

So I'm sorting what our band will play when gigs resume. One of our songs has a 20-second or so acoustic solo that repeats twice. I have only a noisy, live-recorded copy of it on hand. FOR THE LIFE O' ME, I can't figure out what the hell I was playing there. But we need to replicate it, as it works very well.

I've sat down with it over two days for several hours and now need to get back to work (grading others' wisdom and judgment, as irony would have it). I need to get the song re-recorded well and out to the band so they can practice their parts. The solo's second run interweaves with a piano, mandolin, and fiddle, so I need to give it to them exactly right.

Is there an ideally free app out there that I can download and have listen to the song to tell me the damn notes? It's got some kind of suspended chords in there, seemingly in two places at once, and nice dissonances, that I just can't find again on the fretboard, even though the song is a simple one in C.

I use a MacBook Pro, by the way, and my phone is too ancient to be a player here.

Thanks!

2. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

Well, never mind, sorta. Putting the collar on the dog reminded me, "Capo, 4th fret! Leaving the low E open! The damn thing's in C form, but key of E." Everything fell into place thereafter.

But since I'll put myself in that pickle again, sloppy self-recorder/transcriber that I am, is there a good app that can keep up with notes? Not chords so much, but the proper notes?

I hate to e-cheapen the work that music deserves, but my excuse is the 140 students whom I need to cerv. Sierve. HelPp.

As, you know, there colidge teecher.

Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 6, 2021
  3. kbold

kbold Friend of Leo's

RoscoeElegante likes this.
  4. Miff

Miff Tele-Meister

That reminds me of a piece my guitar teacher gave me to look at before the next lesson. Regrettably I didn’t practice much that week and when I finally picked up that piece I had little time and could not for the life of me figure out the fingering. I went back to him with my tail between my legs- at which point he drew my attention to the note at the top: “capo - 4th fret”

5. woodman

woodman Grand Wazoo @ The Woodshed Gold Supporter

Logic X can translate your audio tracks to score notation simply by punching the N (hot key). Possibly some of the other DAWs might, can't say for sure.

6. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.