English accents

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by johnny k, Feb 26, 2020.

1. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Thirty years or so ago, I read of a "linguistics" study, involving asking people to judge the class level of three voice recordings. The people recorded were reading something innocuous from a newspaper. The three were a blue collar worker from California, an African American college professor in the American Deep South, and a London (England) cab driver. Almost without exception, the Londoner was ranked as the most intelligent and successful, with the blue collar worker in the middle, and the college professor ranked last. The study served to illustrate how much a person's accent and speech habits affect how they are judged by strangers.

EsquireBoy likes this.
  2. mrmousey

mrmousey Tele-Meister

Great post !! Thanks !!

3. TC6969

TC6969 Friend of Leo's

I went to high school with a guy who spent a short time in the 70's touring England with Robert Palmer.

He came back with a slight accent, but after he found out it would get him laid, he started working it hard.

I recently ran into him (40 years later) and you would swear he grew up on the streets of Liverpool.

4. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

I lived in Europe for 10 years, have lived and traveled all over the US and consider myself open minded and all that. Having said that, when I hear a southern US accent my thoughts are generally negative, even if the person in educated. I know that's wrong but there it is. I had a pretty strong southern accent when I was a kid and had no idea until I moved to London in the 70s. After being there for a few months I spoke to my Mother (born and raised in OK) on the phone and had never noticed her accent either but it smacked me straight in the face. Most of my family is from Oklahoma so there's a base for my thinking. I also stuttered quite badly but once in England I slowed my speech dramatically and dropped the accent so these days you'd never be able to guess I used to have a southern accent. Back on topic, I do love most English accents (and UK in general). Years of watching Coronation Street got me to understand teh Mancunian accent and Jasper Carrott introduced me to the Birmingham accent. Love them both. Really really love Scottish accents. Craig Ferguson and Karen Gillan slay me.

Cloodie and Tommy Biggs like this.
  5. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Friend of Leo's

The Welsh accent is lovely. The Welsh language, however, is a complete and utter mystery and incredibly difficult to learn if you don't grow up speaking it.

6. john_cribbin

john_cribbin Tele-Afflicted

Cwrw, is the only Welsh word you need to know. Although popty ping always makes me smile.

wyclif and aging_rocker like this.
  7. darkwaters

darkwaters Tele-Afflicted

Well, I think you all might be ready for the Newfoundland accent.

BTW, the story of the faeries stealing people I found particularly interesting. There's a story in my family that my grandmother, when she was a young girl, was out walking alone when everything around her changed and she found herself in a beautiful meadow full of flowers. She realized that it must be the faeries trying to take her away, so she used the trick this gentleman mentions and turned her sweater inside out. When she did the meadow vanished and she was back home again. Der 'tis and der can't be no tiser !

brookdalebill and Dan German like this.
  8. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Holic

I'd think that must depend on your own accent and where you live though surely? I think I have a 'common as muck' southern UK accent (compared to what I would call a posh or well-spoken southern UK accent) that borders on cockney. But when I lived in the midlands people thought I sounded posh, when I hear myself recorded I think I sound 'Thick as ****'

9. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I was going to bring up Newfoundland, but here you’ve done it for me.

One of my favourite reads was “How Late it Was, How Late” by James Kelman. It was surprising to me how well he dragged me in to the rhythm of the Glaswegian accent. Once in a while, I had to stop and wrap my head/ear around something, but I swear by the time I was done, I was starting to sound like I’d spent some time in Glasgow. And not the good part.

Cloodie, kodiakblair and darkwaters like this.
  10. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Also, when I hear British actors playing “American” it reminds me how bad most North American actors must sound when playing “British.” A particularly egregious example is the lead actor in The Walking Dead. What were they thinking, letting him play “Southern”? It was comical at first, then just drove me mad.

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  11. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Then again, there are non-Americans who can do an American accent well. I thought Saoirse Ronan (Irish, of course) was great in Lady Bird.

Generalising, I think Americans are worse at non-American accents.

EDIT. Well, I'll be. Saoirse's parents are Irish, but she was born in the Bronx. I'm sure someone can come up with a better example :oops:

12. bsman

bsman Tele-Afflicted

Yer fulla' shyte, so feck off! :D

13. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Holic

There was a hilarious episode of NCIS LA, the other week... Vinnie Jones was in it, but the whole cast were goofing off with British accents, it was both very funny and very cringe worthy.

14. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

'Streuff!

bsman likes this.
  15. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

I have lived a number of places across the US and we have our fair share of accents to choose from.

You have the Nu Yooorkas
    You have the gouys from Bossston who drive Kahs and wear Karkis.
    You have the fellas from Chicago who'd root on Da Bearrrs and da Bulls and da Cubbies.
    You have the southern folk who always is wishin' you to come back now, ya hear?
    You have the Cheeseheads of Minnesoddda who love dem Pahkers and a good brewski
    You have those Texans with their Y'alls and Yeauhs

We are indeed a melting pot of languages and cultures. There was always one people group I never could figure out, the Cajuns. Then I went to Newfoundland, found out that the French or the English were a little too worried about the number of people up there messing with the government so they shipped a bunch of them to the bayous of the Louisianan Purchase and settled them there. So take a little french, add a little english, throw in some Canadian and then move them to the most humid place on earth where even talking is an effort and you get Cajun.

16. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Afflicted

May I ask if you thought Hugh Laurie’s accent was convincing in House? Just being curious.

Antmax and TokyoPortrait like this.
  17. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

I'm reminded of an episode on The Wire. which featured a British actor portraying a Baltimore cop. In this particular episode, he goes undercover as a British citizen. It's funnier to think about than actually watching it. But, still, it is an amazing and beautiful show.

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  18. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

Wisconsin accents......

19. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Cheeseheads are from Wisconsin. No self-respecting Minnesota Vikings fan would be caught dead rooting for the Packers!

Dan German likes this.
  20. sixstringbastard

sixstringbastard Friend of Leo's

Tommy Biggs likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.