Engineers and other experts, please weigh in on this

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by nvilletele, Aug 4, 2021.

1. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Btw, it doesn't matter if the car is towed or not, it takes energy to turn the alternator. There is drag EVERYWHERE on an automobile from the wind resistance to the tires on the road to turning the alternator. You can NEVER produce more energy than you use to do the work AND create the energy (with current technology). Sure, you can coast downhill and turn an alternator or regenerative brakes but eventually, the hill flattens and you have to go and how did you get to the top of the hill in the first place? Energy was spent getting you there to start and that counts.

The ONLY pretty much free lunch for a car is solar. Solar charging while parked.

Telekarster likes this.
  2. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

performance improvements are achieved with a balonium-unobtainium alloy.

Enricos likes this.
  3. Enricos

Enricos TDPRI Member

If 6 Was 9

Torren61 likes this.
  4. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

They may have hooked that auxiliary generator up to capture regenerative braking (generally a two-stage brake pedal throw that has regen on the first little bit and then full regular brakes when you put the pedal to the floor). Otherwise it's nothing other than the generator running in most engine bays to charge your cars normal battery.

And no, there is no free/perpetual energy creation device. Friction ruins all of that for all of us.

5. beanluc

beanluc Tele-Afflicted

I linked that video earlier for interest's sake. But the only thing novel about this is - 2 things:

1 - it went STRAIGHT downwind, faster than the wind. I mean, sailboats make way downwind faster than the wind all the time, but they can't go directly downwind faster than the wind, they have to go at least a little obliquely (at least 15-20 degrees) to it in order to make distance in the downwind direction faster than the wind. They can "tack downwind" (zigzag) to make a direct-downwind course. Faster than the wind.

2 - It's on wheels. This part is not that impressive to me, though it at least provides the tangent to this thread. Sailboats have a lot more resistance to overcome than a wheeled vehicle on a hard flat surface.

6. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

now heres an interesting Idea , if that sized generator could power the recharge of that size of lithium /Ion battery why would they not mount it on the engine block? and slip a new fan belt on it? , more tork faster revolution and greater power output , and if i can think of it I can guarentee they have already.

definate photoshop ( industrial high grade , glow in the dark Balonium)

FYSGE6PG29ZF100.jpg

Torren61 and String Tree like this.
  7. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Makes me miss the MYTHBUSTER'S.

Sconnie likes this.
  8. SuprHtr

SuprHtr Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Paraphrasing one of my favorite college professors, the first law of thermodynamics says, "You can't get something for nothing", while the second law states, "You won't ever even get what you paid for".

Sconnie, SRHmusic, Mouth and 4 others like this.
  9. johnDH

johnDH Tele-Meister

Gotta love a good crack-pot 'Perpetual Motion Machine' discussion!

I haven't seen one of these since the rise of modern electric vehicles.

It's still all bollocks though!

Sconnie and Torren61 like this.
  10. SRHmusic

SRHmusic Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Thanks for posting the video. That analogy in the video about two sailboats is pretty good.
    The difference between this and a sailboat is the propeller blades are like sails at an angle to the wind (pitch of the blades), and of course that they are driven by the wheels to generate even more airflow and lift. The limit happens where the drag matches the lift, and it's around 2.7x wind speed from what I read. See my earlier post for some links to more on the Blackbird.

11. Telekarster

Telekarster Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

It's interesting you say this. From day 1 I've always wondered - Why don't they make all of the body panels solar?

Torren61 likes this.
  12. Torren61

I've wondered for YEARS why they don't put solar panels on the roof of your car and have it power exhaust fans that vent the heat so when you get back in the car after it's been in the sun all day, it's not like an oven in there.

Sconnie and Telekarster like this.
  13. Telekarster

Telekarster Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Right! I suppose maybe they still can't make efficient panels light enough but yeah, one would think a panel on the roof, trunk, and hood wouldn't be all that taxing but what do I know ;)

Torren61 likes this.
  14. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

Sure a big motor can turn that small generator. But it’s not a perpetual motion machine. That would be cool.

Torren61 likes this.
  15. richa

richa Tele-Afflicted

It only works when someone else has to pay for the electricity to charge the battery and you use the generator to charge a second battery from which you can then sell the electricity. :D

There is an story which I cannot verify of someone in some centrally planned brainwave of a country buying power off the grid to run lamps to generate power from a solar generator that was sold at a highly subsidized (solar) profit. You can take that or leave it.

But as to the OP's question physics and economics are not that complicated in this regard. Nullum gratuitum prandium.

16. jaxjaxon

jaxjaxon Tele-Meister

You would use more energy to make enough energy to replaced what is used. Can something be made up to work correctly. Probably and it wont be cheap.

17. nvilletele

nvilletele Friend of Leo's

I’ve seen mention before of solar panels being built into roadbeds. They are out there getting direct sunlight all day (when clear), so it seems like a great ideal. They’ve come up with prototypes, but haven’t heard of any being actually implemented.

18. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

The propeller blades are not traveling straight downwind...that's the rub.

I grew up around boats, and I've been flying kites just as long. I have a few kites that can achieve ridiculous speeds in even light breezes (FlexiFoil, Hawaiian Power Kite, Hawaiian Spinoff, etc.), and I have a few Revolutions that appear to defy physics when you see them fly. The Rev II is a small, super lightweight kite that can achieve speeds in excess of 50 kts in a 5 kt wind. Once you understand how they work, it's all pretty simple stuff. That's why when I saw that wind car vid I knew it was no different from boats and kites.

19. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

They have made solar powered cars. The are the size of a kayak with a panel on top, and while they can go at a decent clip, they can only transport one person.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_car

There are "regular cars" coming soon that are electric and have solar panels - they claim the panels can add 50 - 65 KM to the range.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightyear_One

It takes waaaaaaay too large solar grid to provide enough power for an entire car - even a small one. Sure, you could lighten one to the bare minimum to make it travel, but then you fall way short of safety standards.

20. Torren61

Yeah, but I was talking about enough juice to power an exhaust fan while it’s sitting in a parking lot in the sun.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.