1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Engine Transplants

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Steerforth, Sep 8, 2020.

1. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

It used to be that you'd see these aberrations regularly on eBay. A small block Chevy in a Fiat 124; a small block Ford stuffed into nearly anything because it's narrow from valve cover to valve cover; a big block Ford in a Capri. Each was someone's wacky idea that they did because they could. Each found that the result had neither the handling nor brakes to deal with the horsepower and weight. Each rightly ascertained that the result would kill them.

Steerforth and SuprHtr like this.
  2. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

I remember a guy with CJ 7 and a 350 in Meridian. I drove it once and never was a passenger. Stupidly dangerous, even for a 20y/o like me. I realized it was a death trap and never got into it again

After I moved back to Texas I heard he was killed in it taking a mild curve on Poplar Springs Rd by the High School. Got wide in the curve, hit the curb, was thrown out (no seatbelts) and died on the spot.

Steerforth likes this.
  3. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

I stopped kart racing when I got into trail bikes/MX racing.. My older bro stayed with karts, moving on to open circuit 250cc gearbox classes with KX bike engines..

when we were cleaning out the family home for sale, bro found the old Mac engine in a box in the workshop.. which he intends to get going again in vintage races...

gokart1.jpg

gokart2.jpg

4. galaxiex

galaxiex Tele-Afflicted

I like "sleepers" cars that look like nothing but are hellishly fast.
    Case in point...

Back in the 90's, guy in my town had a 1982 VW Rabbit. Rusty and ugly little econobox.
    He installed from a VW Golf all wheel drive, the complete engine, trans, suspension, AWD setup, everything into/under the Rabbit.
    Had the engine professionally "built" at a local racing engine shop, with twin turbos and for good measure... a healthy shot of Nitrous.

I just happened to be at the engine shop getting some machine work done on my own project...
    When the guy I'm discussing my work with says...

"Come check this out, we're about to dyno this Twin Turbo 1.8L Golf engine".
    It made 950 HP on the dyno, saw it with my own eyes.

Later saw the Rabbit on cruise nights.
    He liked to embarrass guys with V8 Muscle cars.
    Just completely blow them away with a rusted clapped out looking VW Rabbit.
    Guy that built the car was an engineer, he built a custom frame and roll cage and it could handle and stop no problem.
    Crazy little rocket of a car.
    Never saw it at the race track so I don't know any numbers...

5. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Friend of Leo's

7461DFDA-7037-4FA4-995A-3C50D2E38352.jpeg 91ECB229-2292-444B-857C-2276BB8C1192.jpeg I had a customer show up here earlier this year in this Volvo 240 wagon, with a swapped in 5.3 Chevy out of a wrecked Hummer, a turbo, Megasquirt fuel system and a six-speed from a Nissan 350Z. The turbo blew into large-bore single exhaust with two mufflers and exiting in the stock location, so it pretty much sounded like a stock Silverado just driving around. But when the guy left he hit the rev limiter and blew the wastegate (unmuffled undercar exit) on the first four shifts, so it was a noisy chaotic pop-whoosh fest. I’d a preferred hearing it crackle through some glass packs and straight tailpipes, but I could not argue with how that thing just squatted down and was GONE. Pretty cool.

S00NERMAN, Stubee, Steerforth and 3 others like this.
  6. SKEsq

SKEsq TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

That sounds brutal. I love it!

Steerforth and mexicanyella like this.
  7. etype

etype Tele-Afflicted

It was in the shop for 4 months getting a tranny rebuild. Got it back and first time out the water pump failed. Good news is the new water pump has it running about 20 degrees cooler than the original.

[​IMG]

8. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

Most of the Triumph Stag engine transplants I've seen went in the wrong direction - when the Triumph OHC V8 blew, people were sticking Ford V6s in there in a vain attempt at saving the car. There wasn't even enough room in there for a Rover/Buick aluminum V8 without having to make structural changes. The Stag engine was based on the 4-cylinder one from the Triumph Dolomite.

Steerforth and etype like this.
  9. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

My first Duster was a '73 340 brand new. I ordered it. Rallye Red, 4 speed, bench seat. That got totaled by a guy who t boned me in texas in '79. I bought a '72 Duster with a 340 automatic to replace it. It was Honeydew colored. I brought that back up to NYS in 1980. Both were the Smog motors. 8.5/1 compression ration. The last Duster I bought about 12 years ago. That was a Texas car that somebody brought back up. Also 8.5/1 Compression ration. 1971 was the last year for the 10.5:1 compression ration from the factory due to the insurance issue. I'd have to look it up but I'm pretty sure they were rated at 240 HP While the '71 318 was 230 or 235 HP.

To meet 1972 model-year emissions rules, the 340 was detuned; the compression was dropped to 8.5:1, and the intake valves were smaller. The 340 was still the LA power king, with 240 gross horsepower and 290 lb-ft of toruqe — when the 360 was rated at 175 hp and 285 lb-ft.

The engine gained 5 pound-feet of torque in the 1973 model year; that would be its last performance.

The lighter side is that some of the 340’s components were used in a high-output version of the closely-related 360 cubic inch V8 in the 1974 cars. The 360 shot up from 175 hp to 245, in the four-barrel high performance version, which got the old 340 cam — even if the intake valves were still 1.88 inches.

Steerforth likes this.
  10. Deebs3

Deebs3 Tele-Meister

Well if you want to add a little more power to your car... (That's TWO V8's) This guy was on Counts Kustoms.
    quad018.JPG

Obsessed and Steerforth like this.
  11. MarkieMark

MarkieMark Tele-Afflicted

Things got taken to extremes, especially in the "pro-street" explosion of the eighties.
    I recall that we both admired and mocked many, for their excessive high level art combined with what was often quite impractical and served little use other than cruising fairgrounds and parking at shows. But every once in a while a pretty functional street legal race car would pop up.
    In retrospect, I now think even the most outrageous and ugly were pretty cool! It was a special time to this gear head.

As an art form, the style probably peaked with a few cars leading up to the outrageous J-2000 built by Rick Dobberton in the mid eighties:

https://www.google.com/search?sourc...EHQ2GBnwQ7Al6BAgIEDg&biw=800&bih=1280&dpr=1.5

I think the fairgrounds cruise shows might have hit their peak in the late eighties, when IIRC there were some 5000 cars at the Nationals (Indiana I think?- Its been a long time) I look at pictures and videos from the period with an odd sense of remembering seeing every car shown at some point or another.

The "biggness" of it all subsided, but the love for the style remains. I know its still popular locally. Some serious hot rods around here.
    I have told people that there are enough gems hidden away here to have a pretty amazing get together if you could get them all together at once.
    Actually they do still have pretty good local smaller gatherings that regularly draw 75 or more cars to cruise ins. I think there were 200 local cars at one last summer.
    But even more local, I tell people we could have quite a parade.....
    Well something like that just happened a few weeks ago for a dear friends 80th birthday. small she pop-up driveby:

Steerforth likes this.
  12. CJM3309

CJM3309 Tele-Meister

My dad has a 66 Sunbeam Tiger and used to do SVRA racing in it. He's switched the motor up a bit since the racing days, but It's still a fun car.

20161002_193130.jpg
    IMG950851.jpg
    My sister and I in the early 90s. He custom made the roll cage which is gone now so the hardtop fits again.

13. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

It don't get much crazier than radial engines in motorcycles. About halfway thru this video is one with the engine laying down flat...insane.

schmee, Stubee, SuprHtr and 2 others like this.
  14. SuprHtr

SuprHtr Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Stubee and Steerforth like this.
  15. Rattfink

Rattfink Tele-Meister

This was when I lived in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. There were lots of places around to burn up your tires. Fortunately we managed to stay under the radar... most of the time.

During that time, I was rocking a 1989 Firebird Formula, with Whitesnake in the tape deck. And yes, this would have been circa 2002.... haha

Steerforth likes this.
  16. SuprHtr

SuprHtr Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

This one has two cylinders from a radial aircraft engine. On the left is a full-sized Harley for scale.
    leonhardt-gunbus-410-2010-6.jpg

Steerforth and Mike Simpson like this.
  17. 39martind18

39martind18 Friend of Leo's

My brother has a '93 F150 with a 300- 6 in it with 512 K miles on the odometer. A bit of work throughout the years, but the original motor.

Steerforth and Danjabellza like this.
  18. dougstrum

dougstrum Tele-Afflicted

Tickles me to see how many hotrodders play guitar:twisted:

Steerforth likes this.
  19. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

LOL. When I was in A&P school, there were many old radial cylinders laying around. We all joked about stealing them and putting them on Harleys. Ours were mostly from Wright 1820 radials bore = 6.125, stroke 6.875...nearly double a Harley's.

dougstrum, Steerforth and SuprHtr like this.
  20. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

I shoehorned a 454 and TH400 into a '34 Chevy Standard. Built my own headers and developed some wild steering linkage from the Mustang II front suspension. Sheared off all 10 rear wheel studs of the Ford 9" the first night out "cruising".

Lots of buddies that did things like 302s into Pintos or smallblocks into Vegas. The wildest one was a friend's dad shoving a Boeing 737 starter motor into a Sunbeam Alpine for an electric car back in about 1974. Burned up clutches every 100 miles. IMG_2990.JPG

dougstrum, Stubee and Steerforth like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.