End of the tone chase

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by Mickey slick, Feb 17, 2018.

1. Mickey slick

Mickey slick TDPRI Member

I have tried countless amps. I have tried tube,modling and found that for me the Mustang 1 v2 the best. I use the super sonic green setting 7 treble 5 bass volume 10pre not master no effects on knob 1 and small room reverb on knob 2 and get lots of comments on how good the sound is

Jim Dep, TwangyWhammy and RodeoTex like this.
  2. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

You are obviously not gigging with a M1 so i think it's safe to say your opinion is based on recording or home practice etc. But the fact is it's easy to get a good tone out of either the old mustangs or the new GT series at low volume. I had both and still have the GT, but both challenged me when it came to using them in a band context. Both took different things to sound great there, but the GT sounded better easily once i figured out what i needed to do to make it sound good live. The old one never sounded as good even once i found what IT needed.

Point is, there are no doubt a ton of modelers that sound great at home. You prefer the M1, thats cool. But it's live where they really show thier true colors and the difference is nite and day.

Chicago Matt, nojazzhere and joealso like this.
  3. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Afflicted

FYI, on gigs you always can mic up the old Mustang series, and they sound great! I don't know if you could get away with it in bone crushing metal band, but for pop/rock/country they do just fine.

PhatBoy likes this.
  4. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

True, bu the problem is in order to keep them below that volume point at which they change from that low volume sound to that problematic one, a mic would have to be cranked to the point it would pick up a lot of the rest of the band. It wouldn't be ideal to be sure. You have to isolate it to eliminate that issue.

rich815 likes this.
  5. Mickey slick

I should have mentioned that the Mustang 2 is just as good and it's 40 watts

6. Mickey slick

Please don't mention the 3 and up they don't have the same software and I can't get my tone out of them

7. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

Dang it & here I thought somebody finally discovered The Holy Grain of Tone Wood!

reverb11 and PhredE like this.
  8. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Most people who run modelers or profilers live run them direct to the board-no mics needed. And there are a LOT of touring guitarists that are running digital these days in a myriad of genres and applications.

PhredE likes this.
  9. Tommyd55

Tommyd55 Tele-Meister

I've had a M1 v2 for 2 years.. I recently acquired a Boss Katana 100 1x12.

While many would classify the Katana's as "modeling" type amp it is in fact just a good amp . The Katana does not claim to be the spitting image of any iconic amp of yesteryear.. It just does it's own thing and does so very well..
    It is simplicity.. It sounds very good before you hook it up to it's PC software. You do not even have to do so.
    And just a note.. The "Acoustic" channel is actually for use with your Acoustic/electric and not a "model" to make a electric sound like an acoustic.. A little plus there..
    The 50 watter is a smoking deal.. I pick up a very slightly used 100 watt version from my local GC for a ridiculously good price last week.. I just couldn't turn it down as the price was so appealing.. I went in to pick it up (saw and bought it online) and he couldn't locate at first.. They were using it to demo foot pedals .. After he retrieved the Katana in the next 10 minutes 2 other store guys came by minutes apart asking him where the Katana went.. Did you take it? they both asked... I said .. I just bought it.. They seemed slightly disappointed.. True ..

All I will say is if you have not, you really ought to give one a try.. They are very good.. Is the K-50 worth twice the price of a M-1? Yes it is imo..
    It is JMO, but the Katana's are leaps and bounds more appealing than the M's..

Chicago Slim and PhredE like this.
  10. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Interesting. I know the Mustang III has a dedicated mid knob, a different interface, bigger cabinet, more wattage, and a different speaker. But not sure what you mean by “they don’t have the same software.”

Do you mean a different modelling algorithm?

11. j5jarod777

j5jarod777 Tele-Meister

I own a Mustang II V2 and love it

PhredE likes this.
  12. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Meister

Someone that knows more or better should chime in and correct me, but based on research into the 'guts' of the Champion and Mustang modelling amps, I found one interesting aspect of their design is.. They aren't quite what they seem. Specifically, they combine a separate digital IC for effects and such, but the basic amplifier is the TDA7294 class AB audio amp chip (which should be distinguished from the TDA7492 - which is a DIGITAL Class D amp chip). Anyway, so the basic design is: conventional SS Class AB audio amp paired with digital effects. One thing that Fender could do to boost sales and popularity of both is to.. PUT IN A GOOD QUALITY SPEAKER (or at least, give us a dedicated Ext Speaker out jack to bypass it).

That's my 0.02, and I may stick to it.

13. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Meister

Amen brother. Why re-invent what already exists?
    Oh, analog direct works just fine too. :D

For those that are Rush fans and have seen them in concert in the past.. remember the washing machines, refrigerators, etc. on stage? You know, reach in and grab a cold drink or toss t-shirts into the audience bit? Well, all that music was getting channeled and pumped out somewhere, right? Let the PA do the work.

Sort of related, but worth a laugh or giggle..
    Similarly, I can't remember -- where the old gag came from -- maybe a Spinal Tap thing or similar -- but there's this group doing a 'rock' type show and mid-song the guitarist is acting perturbed and is gesturing to a stage hand to move his Marshall stack to one side. This goes on a for a minute or two, until someone rushes up and pushes the [dummy] stack to one side, only to unveil a tiny little combo amp hiding behind it that is actually in use.

The Blood likes this.
  14. Mickey slick

Yes different from the 1&2 they sound completely different

15. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

That would have been Machinegun Kelly and thier marshall stacks were hollowed out fakes .

PhredE likes this.
  16. jaytee32

jaytee32 Tele-Meister

The digital IC is not only effects, but it's the amp models as well. There's no pin on the amp schematic (I looked at it) to switch between all those amp models. I'm not sure what the audio amp would sound like if it bypassed the DSP stuff, although maybe that's what the "studio preamp" setting does?

BTW a Class D amp is not any more digital than the class AB amp.

PhredE likes this.
  17. jaytee32

jaytee32 Tele-Meister

Depends on what you mean by modeler. If you mean, something that tries to sound like specific other amps, then the Katana may or may not be a modeler ... I have seen various claims that the voicing is "Katana own", and others that have researched the internals (via sneaky amps which seems to be identical to the Boss GT-100 pedal) and say that the voicings (except acoustic) are based on other amps.

The technology would appear to be the same, either way, despite whether the above models, or the "own voicing" are true. In the sense of "voicing via digital (DSP) processing", it is just as much a modeler as the Fender Mustang is.

18. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Friend of Leo's

The end of my "tone chase":

Coffin-in-grave.jpg

birv2, Georox, Bill and 3 others like this.
  19. Allthesound

Allthesound Tele-Afflicted

Just add a external speaker jack its simple to do. I did quick tutorial on it some years back. Link below

http://www.tdpri.com/threads/fender-mustang-i-ii.243634/page-13#post-4023154

PhredE likes this.
  20. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Meister

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.