End of my year long experiment

chris m.

Doctor of Teleocity
In a perfect world yes is should... but people continually seek new things to complain about.
In the case of the MS-50 which actually has that option, the product cannot hold EVERY option and therefore that becomes the focus of complaints ;)

As a Helix User.... I would love a simple "hide" feature. Once an amp or effect is hidden it won't appear in the day to day choices but can be accessed in it's own folder (aptly named "hidden") in case you wish to "unhide" it later. No computer required.
Great idea. You could right click on it, (or do the equivalent on an Apple), select "hide", and you would see it go "whoosh" into the Hidden folder right there on the screen. Or you could just click and drag it over to the hidden folder.

What if all the amps were put in some kind of logical order--- let's say from cleanest JC120 up to highest gain options? That might be helpful, too. then cab choices, for each amp you choose the cab choices would automatically be ordered from most likely to least likely. For example, if you choose a JMP head the first choice is a 4x12 with four vintage Celestions. If you choose a JC120 your first option is going to be a 2x12 open back cabinet.

Blrfl

Tele-Afflicted
What if all the amps were put in some kind of logical order--- let's say from cleanest JC120 up to highest gain options? That might be helpful, too. then cab choices, for each amp you choose the cab choices would automatically be ordered from most likely to least likely. For example, if you choose a JMP head the first choice is a 4x12 with four vintage Celestions. If you choose a JC120 your first option is going to be a 2x12 open back cabinet.

The Ampero does that. Amps are grouped by type and cabinets are grouped by configuration. The firmware in the new Stomp puts amps in submenus that someone will complain about and there's an option to automagically add the preferred cabinet when you put an amp into the signal chain.

lefty73

Tele-Afflicted
I really, really love the sounds that are possible when using IRs and playing through headphones. The tech has come so far since the days of just having a brittle, boring "preamp out" as an option.

That said, with the number of gigs in my area slowly returning to normal, for the tune-up jam sessions I've had so far, I blew the dust off my Tech 21 Trademark 60. Even with that modest solid-state amp behind me, from the first note it was like breathing with both lungs again.

I know we're marching towards the inevitable - amp-less performance spaces in all but the largest arenas and clubs - but man... there is something that happens when pickups are connected to an analog amp. All the big names in the modeler biz are getting soooo close to nailing that, though it's clear those few final steps are tougher than anything that came before it. Once someone cracks that code (literally) though... count me in.

CX Hunter

Tele-Meister
Always open to new stuff, but during Covid tried a bunch of modeling amps and always came away with the same feeling - like you get when drinking Diet Coke. Also - being dyslexic, all the menus and sub-menus just give me a headache. Tho, I ended up keeping a little Superchamp X ll. The “British mode” works really great with my old Dobro in which I installed a Barcus Berry pickup. That’s been one of ‘secret weapon’ guitar set-ups for years. Never seen anyone else do it till recently, when someone sent me a video clip of Woody using the same set-up on a live in-studio rendition of Love In Vain.

Digital Larry

Friend of Leo's
I'd like to hear what you think that price is, because I disagree.
I've been thinking about this sort of thing for a long time because I have designed a few products over the years and there is always a tradeoff between flexibility and complexity. TVs, cars, dishwashers. My wifi clothes washer has 20 cycles. I use "normal" even though I'm not, really.

That depends on your goal. If you're out to model the "ideal" version of an amp, you'd start with the schematic and use the values for the parts as-specified. Real amps rarely live up to that standard, so you're often better off measuring the parts in a specimen you like and modeling that.

That wasn't the distinction I was making. Even if you trace the schematic and measure all the component values of a "golden" unit, the approach for modelling I'm talking about is to represent that system as a circuit that behaves internally according to abstractions of Kirchoff's laws, etc. which I meant to distinguish from something like "let's apply the bilinear transform to the Fender Bassman tone stack to come up with an equivalent digital filter structure and use a tanh function for the overdrive part, etc. etc."