1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

End of chain boost pedals

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by con brio, Jul 19, 2018.

Tags:
  1. con brio

con brio Tele-Meister

Hey y’all, so recently I got a new amp (Vox MV50 Clean) which I'm using as a clean pedal platform, and it has a lot more headroom than I’ve had previously, which means I have an opportunity to drop a boost pedal after the rest of my chain (including some bearfoot aiab pedals, comp, delay) for leads (where previously my lead boost option was mostly limited to pre-boost or fuzz.

So my question for those of you who do use a solo boost into a clean amp after dirt, what do you look for in a boost pedal? Are you aiming to be clean or a bit of extra dirt and compression? neutral eq or something else? any stand out pedals?

Thanks!

2. thegreatshocka

thegreatshocka Tele-Meister

FWIW I have a TC Electric Spark Boost and I love it. It has a ton of features including a level/gain, different boosts types like mid boost or flat or fat. Very customizable, I got mine used for a good price. Love putting it on before my Wampler Tumnus.

Phrygian77, Tele56, Modman68 and 2 others like this.
  3. Waitingfergodot

Waitingfergodot TDPRI Member

Count up a second vote for the full size TC Spark. In the 'fat' setting it becomes my dirt pedal. As far as placing it after dirt for a solo boost, I quite like it there as well in the flat or mid settings.

I've also got one of the one knob spark minis that is pretty much just a clean boost and it works very well before or after dirt. I love how it can push the front end of an amp to give it a bit more growl.

Both of these pedals seemed to not sell super well on release. I think I got both of mine as promos when I purchased other gear. They have stayed in my collection far longer than the pedals I purchased to get them for free/cheap.

4. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

EQD Tone Job for absolutely clean boost/eq.

Kingsley Page for hint of grit and real tube tube compression/boost. It feels like adding another channel to your amp it's so responsive to playing dynamics.

BB likes this.
  5. con brio

con brio Tele-Meister

@Waitingfergodot do you think the additional tone controls on the large Sparkboost are worth the price over the one knob mini?

@thegreatshocka do you ever use the tumnus as a boost? I’ve considered some kind of a Klone as an option but I don’t have a good idea how it works when it’s not also pushing another dirt pedal or the front of an amp.

6. voskarp

voskarp Tele-Holic

I recomend this one too!

7. thegreatshocka

thegreatshocka Tele-Meister

The tumnus for me is kind of both a boost for my other dirt pedals and a stand alone overdrive when I use the Spark Boost before it. If I wanna go really high gain I’ll run the spark boost into the tumnus and then that into my voodoo lab sparkle drive.

con brio likes this.
  8. ozan

ozan TDPRI Member

If you like the sound of EP preamp and MXR Micro Amp then i would suggest Mxr Mini Booster which combines both in a mini pedal format.

I use it with my MV50 Clean and very happy with it so far.

con brio and Fiesta Red like this.
  9. Strum und Twang

Strum und Twang Tele-Meister

I’ve been using an old Barber Barb-EQ as my boost at the end of the chain. It’s capacity to boost volume, keep the character of whatever OD or clean setting I’m using, and address EQ settings quickly is very handy.

con brio likes this.
  10. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

con brio likes this.
  11. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Lots of options. On the cheap Donner, Mosky XP, and I have a good sounding boost called SHO (forget the mfg). Was a Micro Amp guy for years, MA, SHO, and XP all add flavor to the signal.

con brio likes this.
  12. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

Absolutely, it all depends on what's downstream but a lot of times when you boost last bass can get a little boomy/flubby or treble a little spiked at amp, and it can change from room to room. The controls on full size allows you to quickly dial it in for any amp vol and any room compensations needed.

I don't own a boost that doesn't have EQ capabilities on front panel.

con brio likes this.
  13. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

I prefer the "cut" option rather than boost... but it's all a matter of preference.
    1. I get my tone dialed in the way I want it for full "solo" volume and rhythms that need to really stand out
    2. I dial in a 3db cut for my quieter parts.
    I find this easier to control than dialing in a quiet volume then trying to boost it in any way. A small cut can be handled in several different ways and rarely requires any EQ'ing to make it right.

con brio likes this.
  14. con brio

con brio Tele-Meister

I’ve experimented with this a little using my limiter (on for rhythm, off for solo) and I kind of like it, but something’s off. It could just be the loss of the compression?

Good note about the less EQ needed. I suspect I might be able to get away with a simple one knob pedal if it’s just an active cut.

15. con brio

con brio Tele-Meister

I went and looked at some demos of this. It’s really interesting!

How much control do you have on how bright the EP side of the pedal is? I’m slightly concerned that it might make one of my ODs that is already quite bright (Bearfoot SYOD) unpleasantly bright / harsh

16. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

And I'm just opposite when using underdrive (cut) technique, always need to boost bass and treble a bit to keep tonal response the same.

con brio likes this.
  17. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

For clean boost after dirt, I actually use a Timmy. The #1 problem with end of (MY) chain solo boost pedals is the reverb pedal. My amp has no reverb, so I use a Wampler Faux Spring Reverb. Most boost pedals ramp up that reverb to "way too much" levels. For whatever reason, as I have it set, the Timmy doesn't.

con brio likes this.
  18. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

For the most part (with a good cut circuit), a 3db cut is just Fletcher Munson at work. One tries to make it sound bigger because it is quieter... IMO, that defeats the purpose of turning down.

This is just my experience.... not claiming I'm right ;). We can all approach things differently and still get the results we need.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
  19. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

Boss GE-7 works for me.

Most frequency bands are set flat, with the 400, 800, 1200Hz (from memory - the middle 3 controls anyway) at the first line above the centre line.
    Set the master volume slider to the first line above the centre line, and you'll cut through for soloing without being stupid loud.

Works for me!

codamedia and con brio like this.
  20. ozan

ozan TDPRI Member

It does not brighten the tone that much since its controllable via tone knob. However it may sound a bit beefy if you start to push the internal boost trim above halfway. It really behaves in correspondance to your amp and pedal. I stack it with a Dumble sounding pedal and they cooperate really well.

con brio likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.