1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

End grain neck pocket?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by BenM, Jan 7, 2016.

1. BenM

BenM Tele-Meister

I really like the look of these guitars...

http://mkmra2.blogspot.com/2014/08/fourteen-more-guitars.html

...but I can't help but think this building method would be ill advised because the short grain at the neck pocket could so easily just snap the neck off. Am I wrong? what do you think? I have some 2x scrap, and it would be fun to make a body like this but should I think of some other way to strengthen the neck pocket?

2. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

My feeling is that I don't think the end of the neck does much of a support roll on a bolt neck guitar. Some of it is missing for the adjustment nut and what is there is short grain, which could snap off pretty easily. I think it's mostly the screws and sides that do the work. Also, Both pieces of wood will change length if you are in a place that is hot in summer and cold in winter, so there is no guarantee that the neck will always contact the back of the pocket. I've seen guitars with the wood broken out there and they still work OK.

You could always make a couple key blocks with the grain going in the correct direction if you wanted. Personally guitar bodies are glued together along the grain for a reason...

3. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

they'd make a good cutting boards....:lol:

4. BenM

BenM Tele-Meister

Thanks, Guitarbuilder. I wasn't thinking or worrying much at all about the grain on the end of the neck, but rather about, say, the corner on the treble side of the neck block breaking off, or splitting along the holes.[​IMG]

5. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's Vendor Member

And that's about it, IMO. I have a pretty good understanding of wood and I just don't think those end-grain ones are a good idea for a guitar.

OTOH, the ones the same seller shows that are made of many lams running the "long" way look like they'll be insanely stable - maybe a little heavy though.

No disrespect intended to Wallace Detroit Guitars, it just isn't a good idea, again, in my opinion.

Cheers,
    Rex

6. BenM

BenM Tele-Meister

Thanks, Rex, I appreciate your willingness to share your opinion... that's what I asked for! :)

Hey, if I do end up building one, and all it is good for is a cutting board, at least my wife can have some cheese while she has to listen to me whine about it going south! Ha!

7. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

One thing that Martin learned with their Stratabond necks was that they seemed to deaden the guitars that they were mounted on .
    Their conclusion was that all that glue necessary to make the lamination was serving to dampen vibration .
    While being very stable , they have supposedly opted out on this concept .
    Sure is a lot of glue going on in these bodies regardless of how cool they look .
    I would want to hear some finished products first .
    Maybe ir works and maybe it don't .

8. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

From the articles I've read about these guitars it sounds like the guys in Detroit actually did quite a bit of testing before building these guitars. I would guess that they are structurally sound.

9. Kennedycaster

Kennedycaster Tele-Afflicted

I built one like this 6 years ago for my dad. He gigged with it regularly, 3-4 nights a week, for about 4 years & still plays it on some gigs. The only issue with using an end-grain cutting board has been tuning instability when the ambient temperature fluctuates. other than that, it's holding up fine.

Bob

10. mux164

mux164 Tele-Meister

yeah i might try something like this sometime soon

11. BenM

BenM Tele-Meister

Thanks for the feedback, all! I especially appreciate hearing about the one you built Bob, thanks!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.