En-Gee-Dee: Squier Classic Vibe Starcaster

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by BorderRadio, Oct 23, 2019.

1. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Bout time!

Worth the wait though, it’s a great guitar. I bought a walnut version, and was pretty playable out the box. The place I bought it from just throws them in a bigger box and sends them out, best I can tell (staples never pulled). So to actually have it playable was a nice sign.

The Good
    The Classic Vibe reputation is holding with these new Starcasters. Beautiful fret work, slightly rolled fingerboard, great binding (only minor flaws), and finish is almost immaculate. Mine is 7 lbs, pretty light, no neck dive. 500k full size pots, not that size matters :D Sound is great, pretty surprised by the brightness. This is my first WRHB guitar, and I never played a vintage one. I also dislike Gibson-style HBs, usually only play single coils and Filter’trons. The sound and feel do not disappoint.

The Bad
    Horribly skinny neck. The nut width is 1.65”, that’s great, but the 1st fret thickness seems average at 0.83” then quickly thins to 0.79” by the 3rd fret and average 0.80” all the way up to the 10th fret or so. I kind of wish I could of tried this in the store, it would of stopped me cold in wanting to buy one. Not a ‘bad’ if you like thin necks. Also, why ditch the Kluson-style splits? There was some goofy things going on with the pickguard but it’s all minor stuff really.

I pulled the pickup cover off. Yep, a thin AlNiCo bar magnet and narrow coil spacing. Basically a regular Gibson-style bucker under the hood.

Center block is light-weight, probably basswood. The neck pocket had a small shim in it, even though the angle is extreme. Bone nut needs to be slotted down more and could use some dressing up.

I was on the fence about keeping it, because of the skinny neck but it’s such a smooth player, totally worth the money spent. Seriously some of the best fret work I’ve seen on a CV. Yep, I love the headstock, but I wish they matched the walnut color on the “swoosh” like vintage versions.

Bigsby already on, set up with 10s and dBridge brass bar bridge. Slotted the nut, action is now very low with no buzz. Aluminum flying saucer knobs on the way..

DCBBB5F5-E52C-4C15-93AA-7F012A99D5FD.jpeg DFC54BF0-4721-405A-8A3E-77239F29E04C.jpeg 0D9CBC7E-D86E-4F37-99B0-7E9526003EFB.jpeg F9164EA7-0AC9-4F41-88F7-3CD77CA8B933.jpeg 4B0F50C9-86CC-4C8D-8EBD-158E2A76C001.jpeg C1DCD587-F592-4840-8FB4-8B088E10871A.jpeg

2. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Tele-Meister

congratulations. I find the head stock very off putting. The equivalent flavor of a Marabou stork head, .... bleeck!
    The body is beautiful with charming appointments. great color nice finish good for you .

BorderRadio likes this.
  3. BorderRadio

Don’t hold back on the headstock, I’m sure many think it’s something only a mama could love lol :D

I find it beautiful, and what a Stratocaster should of came with in the first place ;):p

Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
    2 Headed Goat likes this.
  4. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's

I didn't like the Modern Player as the neck was a little thick for me... Seriously tempted, but I've got four new this year and only got rid of one so far!

BorderRadio likes this.
  5. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Holic

So would you say the neck more akin to the 60's CV profile as opposed to the 50's profile?

6. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Very cool!

BorderRadio likes this.
  7. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Holic

WOW! What a beautiful guitar!

BorderRadio likes this.
  8. scrimmer

scrimmer Tele-Afflicted

Nice! Congrats.

What is the lower bout width on these?
    Can't seem to find that data anywhere and haven't seen one around here yet.

BorderRadio likes this.
  9. WilburBufferson

WilburBufferson Tele-Afflicted

I really like what you did with that -- very classy, and normally I wouldn't like a different coloured bridge, but it works well with the binding.

For the WRHB, you've probably heard me say this in another thread, but I really like the repro's from the Duncan Custom Shop. Pricey, but I liked them more than a real vintage set (in another guitar) I used to own.

BorderRadio and Mincer like this.
  10. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

hmmm...

BorderRadio likes this.
  11. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I saw these.

I thought about it.

I decided I didn't really like the body shape.

Now I see this.

Damn you, sir.

BorderRadio likes this.
  12. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Ad Free Member

Beautiful! Congratulations!

BorderRadio likes this.
  13. BorderRadio

That's encouraging about the MP neck...

14. BorderRadio

I've owned four or five CV China-made necks, two CVCs and three 69 Thinlines. This is thinner than all of them. No way is it gonna be like a typical 50s, and I can't even call it a 60s neck because of it's weird taper--thinning out by the 3rd and staying thin until the 10th, more concave then a taper. It's comfy though, even though I like big U shaped 1 inch necks with no taper.

15. Cysquatch

Cysquatch Tele-Meister

That's too bad on the WRHBs and neck. I assumed that to be the case but is good (bad?) to get the confirmation. I've been wanting a Starcaster since I was a kid, and now that there are options aside from dropping a chunk on a vintage one, I'll get one of them eventually. But, thin necks and a body routed for the rare WRHB shape without the advantage of actual WRHBs are two major drawbacks I don't think I can overlook.

16. KirchGeetar

KirchGeetar TDPRI Member

Was looking at this or a Classic Vibe Strat, went with a Epiphone LP Black Beauty... My wallet wasn't happy lol. Plan on getting it wired to be able to be like a normal LP and the middle pickup in it's own. Did you pay extra with the bigsby? Could've sworn on Fenders website it was a stop tailpiece.

17. BorderRadio

I took one for the team, I guess. It's the downside to buying online, or being an early adopter. I like the way it feels and balances though, and it's a good platform for me to play WRHBs, so it's staying.

Here's what I'd do now that I got one: wait to buy the body from the partsmonger site (when/if they decide to part these), get an MP or Mooncaster neck from Warmoth (if you don't like skinny necks). Add your own WRHBs of choice, wire it how you like. One can actually buy a MP in parts and pieces this way right now, and if the colors are interesting to you, that's the better deal to the "best" Starcaster in the long run.

18. BorderRadio

Eventually I plan on wiring it like a Gretsch with 'real' WRHBs, so independent volumes for each pickup (w/ added coil tap), master volume with treble bleed, and master tone. Makes more sense to me :)

There is no factory option for the Bigsby. I horse traded for this Bigsby B5, with the idea it would be mounted on the Starcaster whenever it was shipped (I pre-ordered a loooong time ago). It's completely reversible too--hey look at me I'm actually a fan of the Vibramate thingy (I usually dislike them).

KirchGeetar likes this.
  19. WilburBufferson

WilburBufferson Tele-Afflicted

BorderRadio likes this.
  20. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Holic

yikes, the CVC 60's neck is the thinnest neck I've ever held.

scrimmer likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.