Emtech’s spray advice for water-based

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by Meteorman, Jul 2, 2020.

1. Meteorman

Meteorman Tele-Holic

2. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

3. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Friend of Leo's

Thanks Meteor. A while back I experimented with water born lacquer, starting with whatever it was StewMac was selling ten years ago and then trying KTM-9 which was all the rage with some of the Portland luthiers. I really wanted to like them and I mostly did, but both had problems that I simply don't have with solvent lacquer. I have NOT tried Target products, there are a number of luthiers who do speak highly of EM6000 - I guess my feeling is why should I experiment once more when I know what to expect with lacquer and I'm not having any trouble with it.

Someone (John Greven?) wrote an article in American Lutherie about brushing water based lacquer and I tried it once on a repair. It was about as you would expect of a brushed finish - required a lot of hand work before I was happy with it - in retrospect I should have fired up the gun.

I'll keep thinking about this and one of these days maybe try EM6000. Maybe.....

4. Pullshocks

Pullshocks TDPRI Member

D1EE5CB0-29B5-4E16-8FD5-590479B82809.jpeg Here’s an Em6000 finish in progress. About 20 thin brushed coats on there. Will level and polish in about. 3 weeks

Jim_in_PA and Peltogyne like this.
  5. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Just buy a quart when there's a sale (get on their mailing list...most codes are for 25% and sometimes more) and give it a try. Worst case, you'll hate it. Best case, you'll have an alternative in your bag of tricks that you can spray safely under conditions you can't use nitro or other solvent based products. Handling the viscosity is the bigger change...depending on what N/N options you have for your gun(s) and the gun type.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.