Empirical evidence that I am a mosquito magnet

Lou Tencodpees

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
So here its December and we've had a hatch of mosquitos from hell. A big cloud of them on our front porch yesterday that must have followed us in while putting up Christmas decorations. I woke up around 1am scratching like crazy. I wandered off and found some hydrocortisone and counted 12 bites on my hands, arms and back. Retreated to a spare bedroom, did a sweep and scratched myself to sleep. This morning I asked my wife if she got bit. Not once. One foot away, 12 to 0.

Its been like this all my life. I could probably get a gig at outdoor parties where I just in a chair swatting at myself while everyone else goes on unmolested.

Ahh, December in Texas.

Dismalhead

Poster Extraordinaire
Yep. A few years ago we were jamming in my barn and saw a mosquito. My friend says they always go for him and I just kind of brushed it off. Sure enough, a couple of hours later he's got bites all over his body and I've got none. Some people smell good to them I guess.

a7aebd93-4ebf-4fea-9c0b-5befcc999953-m.jpg

stxrus

Poster Extraordinaire
Mosquitoes are attracted to CO2…your breath. There is some evidence that certain body smells also attract mosquitoes.
The mosquitoes that fly around your heard are males and do not bite. They are nuisance mosquitoes.
The mosquitoes that bite are females…those that are carrying eggs to be deposited in stagnant water. Non-pregnant females fo not bite

I had a girlfriend that was a mosquito magnet. The Houston Boat Show (Keemah) was her nemesis. If we left within 2 of sunset she was a target.

DEET is our friend here in the tropics. We call it Caribbean Cologne. We’ve had a wet fall and mosquitoes are abundant.

ChicknPickn

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I was very popular at outdoor parties because I attracted mosquitos from miles around. Which is to say they came for me. Same thing with fleas and gnats. Then my thyroid gland was removed due to cancer. No longer the bug magnet. Gotta be something about thyroid hormone levels.

teleman1

Friend of Leo's
So here its December and we've had a hatch of mosquitos from hell. A big cloud of them on our front porch yesterday that must have followed us in while putting up Christmas decorations. I woke up around 1am scratching like crazy. I wandered off and found some hydrocortisone and counted 12 bites on my hands, arms and back. Retreated to a spare bedroom, did a sweep and scratched myself to sleep. This morning I asked my wife if she got bit. Not once. One foot away, 12 to 0.

Its been like this all my life. I could probably get a gig at outdoor parties where I just in a chair swatting at myself while everyone else goes on unmolested.

Ahh, December in Texas.
Does your gal take vitamin b 12? I seem to remember it helping to deter bites.

Obsessed

Telefied
Silver Supporter
I’ve only had one bad experience with mosquitos, otherwise they rarely bite me and I won’t even notice until the next day’s red bump.

Lou Tencodpees

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
Does your gal take vitamin b 12? I seem to remember it helping to deter bites.

Yes indeed, she does take B12. I did but it didn't agree with my gut.

Interesting that so many responses indicate their wives/daughters. Maybe I should have my T levels checked. :lol: