1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Emotions and music question

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Larry F, Sep 8, 2011.

1. Slow Reflexes

Slow Reflexes Poster Extraordinaire

Surely not for everyone...

...but there are plenty of documented cases of women achieving fully satisfying physical results without any physical stimuli, and I have no reason to believe that the principle doesn't extend to whatever sense a person of either sex could desire.

2. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

I wish I had taken better care of my ears when younger. But there is an interesting plus side. In a large store, I will hear a snatch of a song, but so vague I don't know what the tune is. When this happens, my mind jumps in and tries to fill in the gaps that I am not hearing from the source. Often, I think that I am, in a limited sense, using what I hear as the starting point for a new song, melodically speaking. If I wonder whether what I hear is through the ears or put in place by my inner ear, I will try to make the next phrase sound higher, or repeated, descending, twice as fast/slow, played by an accordion band,etc. If the music corresponds to these ideas, then I know that I am creating the melodies myself. I have thought about taking the time to write down all that I am hearing, trying to compose a new tune. I also hear words with these, but they are completely non-sensical.

3. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I can hear the music in my head, it's there almost all the time.

I'm a much better player in my head tho.

4. emu!

emu! Poster Extraordinaire

I think that's the gist of the whole karaoke craze right there.:lol:

5. Fret Wilkes

Fret Wilkes Friend of Leo's

Me too, I notice particulary when the voices stop.

6. wshelley

wshelley Tele-Holic

Not sure if this is on topic Larry, but I always found it extraordinary bands who could combine musical styles and chord progressions that almost force all the listeners to feel the same emotion.

The best example I can think of is Pink Floyd. When listening to DSOTM or The Wall, nearly everyone experiences together the frantic fear, or anger, or calmness, or hope in a song. All just because of tempo and the selection of major vs. minor chords and the intervals...fascinating stuff how they can provoke such uniform emotion.

7. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

This is one of the most powerful things about music. When everyone, I mean everyone, has the same response at the same time.

Years ago I was at a Dead concert (wall of sound era). Garcia was finishing a solo, and Donna Godcheaux sang a long note, causing everyone on the floor to get up at once and cheer. I wasn't on the floor, but I felt the same thing.

Another time, I heard Charles Rosen play a Chopin recital. During one piece (I forget which), I noticed an elderly woman in front and to the left dabbing her eyes with Kleenex. Then, on the right side of the room, another was doing the same thing.

8. candybluecrook

candybluecrook Tele-Afflicted

For me every song has an emotional overtone to it. And im my opinion, to convey that emotional experience to people you have to feel it as a musician. That's what we are supposed to do. That's what sets a great player apart from an average player. You have to feel what your playing, and put those emotions into the strings, otherwise your really just hitting notes. Anybody can be a parrot and just play the notes. The truly great performances are the ones where the entire band oooozes with feeling. As a musician, we all tend to be very expressive..... and believe it or not somewhat sensitive. We have to be, cause every time we take the stage we're putting ourselves out there. People in the audience don't know that, but they can feel it, even see it.
    It's lime an actor delivering a line in a movie, you have to make them believe it. Just my opinion.

9. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

Many years ago I went to a singing recital that my ex was involved in. She was part of a group that was taking voice/singing lessons from a middle-aged Eurpean woman who apparently had had a fairly high level opera career at some point. I sat through the students singing. Some were good, most were not. I was bored.

Then at the very end the teacher was asked to sing. I have no idea what the song was but it was operatic style singing which I don't care for. But something inside of me was touched so deeply by the beauty and power of her voice that I suddenly had tears coming out of my eyes. I can't say I was 'crying' in the sort of way I would normally mean 'crying'. It was almost as much of a physiological response as an emotional response. I was totally surprised by it.

10. Anchoret

Anchoret Friend of Leo's

I have no -- zero -- emotional reaction to music.

My reaction to music is intellectual and analytical. When hearing music becomes your business, it changes everything.

11. 68thinline

68thinline Tele-Afflicted

When I play music I don't get quite the same emotional responses that I get from hearing it. But I do get it. And I tend to favor music that interests me emotionally (both hearing and playing) more so that one that interests me analytically, no matter how complex or simple the song structure may be.

When I'm hearing a song in my head, it can and does elicit an emotional response, but I don't get that same feeling from simply seeing notes on a page or mentally working out a song's structure.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.