Emotional Support Peacock denied by United

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by studio1087, Jan 31, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's

Ship the animal in a crate, down in the cargo hold, and give them a Stuart Smiley Talking Support Doll.

televillian likes this.
  2. kidmo

kidmo Friend of Leo's

So I guess my ES Humpback Whale is out of the question?

3. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Gold...:lol::lol::lol:

8barlouie likes this.
  4. william tele

Some of these animals don't need transportation...they ARE transportation.:D

telleutelleme and 7171551 like this.
  5. ftbtx

ftbtx Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

You're correct, there is a huge spectrum and some people truly do need support animals and mental health professionals, and perhaps I am flawed in perpetuating the stigma with weakness and the need for metal health, that was not my aim. I've had to use their services myself. However, I think it can be an overused crutch by more and more people in our society; from safe zones, trying to outlaw thoughts or viewpoints that disagree from your own, to special requirements like this for some small anxiety. People are coddling themselves, I've seen how strong people can be, how people take responsibility for themselves and instead of feeling sorry for themselves because their feelings are hurt, they pick themselves up, dust off and move on with life. I don't think it is a Texas thing (by the way I don't smoke) it is one of the greatest things about humans, our indelible spirit, we will thrive in hardship if given the chance, but if society keeps running from confrontation, or the hard work in front of us we won't last. Take the opioid epidemic, people running from their problems or hardships in life, they decide to just take pill. And please understand I mean no disrespect to you or your views.

6. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Afflicted

And maybe some people have a shortage of adversity in their life. And they make up for it by creating adversity where there is none. I think that's the "snowflake" you're talking about.

I see this in my kids all the time. The worst thing in the world is when they don't like the healthy, tasty, home-cooked meal my wife has made for them. They meltdown and cry and say it's "yucky."

But instead of getting them a puppy to help them deal with it, I let them go to bed hungry.

7. rad1

rad1 Tele-Afflicted

The ES critter thing is out of control. My oldest daughter is a doctor and they are dealing with patients bringing their animals into the exam rooms.

As for trained, it is about as easy to get a certificate of training as it was back in the day when you drew Squiggy who was on the matchbook cover in order to enter art school.

8. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Friend of Leo's

There's some really good points in there, but they need to be addressed one-by-one and person-by-person, and to bundle them all up as 'passing blame and weakness' and referring to them as snowflakes is hugely insulting.

Have you ever thought that some people can only step outside because they have an emotional support animal. You say "special requirements like this for some small anxiety" - how d'you know it's a small anxiety. Have you ever lived with someone who has anxiety? (Medical anxiety, like medical depression.) How would you feel if someone lumped your ptsd in with 'snowflakes'.

Have you ever thought that some people can only attend a school or university because they know there's a safe space for them and that safe space allows them to ease themselves back towards some vestage of engagement with society.

Have you ever had to put the shopping basket down and leave the shop before your emotions crush in on you? I'd've liked a safe space then.

Have you ever tried to put the washing on, only that collecting the washing, carrying it downstairs, loading the washer, setting the timer and putting in the liquid, knowing you've got to take it out and sort it later is so totally overwhelming that it's easier to curl up and pretend it doesn't exist?

You can't "thrive in hardship" if your brain's always telling you you're a failure and everybody hates you. Sometimes what people need is a safe space, or a golden retriever, to be given a chance to face their hardship and come to terms with their problems, and start working towards becoming a member of society. And what they need, more than anything else, is for people with the all the empathy of a teaspoon to stop labelling them as failures and snowflakes.

Now I need a new keyboard.

koen and telemnemonics like this.
  9. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Friend of Leo's

If anyone would like some understanding then this is the best 5mins you will spend in trying on someone else's shoes...

10. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I see the end of humor and the beginning of the move towards a lock. I'm taking me and my Parakeet off this flight.

FenderGyrl, Frodebro and william tele like this.
  11. william tele

Yeah, the minute you start throwing around words like "snowflake" the fun's over. I'm realizing that the folks who use that term are not "snowflakes"...just regular flakes...:D

12. televillian

televillian Tele-Holic

tastes like chicken

13. rz350

rz350 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I just quickly skimmed through this thread, didn't read all of the details, so based on that fact I will vote Xanax and Smith & Wesson for support ...

....and alcohol.... ;)

14. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

So, if it comforts ONE person to have a pig, a donkey or a peacock with them on a flight, it's worth the discomfort of the other 300 passengers? I don't think so. Actual seeing eye dogs and other medically necessary dogs, fine. That's about equal access. Comfort animals, are a step beyond and have opened a Pandora's Ark of crazy people and animals. It's far too easy to get these animals on board with no paperwork. A read one story recently where an EMS pitbull mauled the face of another passenger and the PTSD sufferer was further traumatized by the incident and the probability of his dog being put down and now the mauling victim is traumatized. There needs to be better vetting of these people and there pets.

15. aerhed

aerhed Friend of Leo's

Firstly, Texas isn't Marlboro country. They're way too sissy Nancy to be the inheritors of the MARLBORO LEGEND. The real Marlboro man worked on a ranch here in Sublette County and was a certified and bona fide cowboy *****. As you'd expect. He also died from lung cancer. Because he was tough dammit. He didn't need no poofy support animal because he had steely jawed stoicism (and cigarettes).

16. TDPRI

TDPRI Retired

Admin Post
    Here’s the lock you were aiming for. (Removed political posts)

No political posts.

8barlouie likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.