Emotion is the enemy

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by getbent, May 20, 2020.

1. Antmax

Antmax Tele-Meister

I don't think anyone publicly asked him about sex lol. And he doesn't write about it in his novels, don't know if that is telling.

I did watch a documentary where a lesbian decided to find out what it was like to be a man for several months. How she was surprised how accepting men where when she went to the bowling alley and got accepted into a group very quickly. And how they went to strip clubs together and she noticed that for men there didn't seem to be emotional attachment like women would have, it seemed more of a function that they had no control of. She did eventually start to struggle with some of the emotional side of trying to be a man without the kind of intimacy and emotional connection she was used to with female friends. Caused quite a few problems towards the end that came close to self harm.

When they talked to her buddies about her. They were shocked that she was actually a woman but always figured that her male character was gay, which didn't bother them. Was quite interesting.

telemnemonics likes this.
  2. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Wonderful analogy - I guess you could say I've done some mods to get a little more "headroom"
    ;)

telemnemonics, getbent and Frodebro like this.
  3. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

black_doug likes this.
  4. getbent

this sounds like the guys who don't want to learn scales and theory because it will take away the soul of the player and the 'instinct'... is that you?

Frodebro likes this.
  5. getbent

but it is also why those memories are often very factually incorrect and distorted beyond plausibility.
    YET, fiercely defended with "but I was there"

Manual Slim likes this.
  6. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

If Im hungry after work and grab a box of crackers, my mouth starts watering from I suppose the past memory of the pleasure of eating those crackers.

But in reality, they only taste good with the sharp cheddar in the fridge, plus I sometimes think better of it and put the box of crackers back without opening it.

I suppose emotions are basic Pavlovian animalism.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  7. staxman

staxman Tele-Holic

Sometimes, I think "expectations" are my enemy...

getbent likes this.
  8. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Premeditated resentments...

Deeve and Frodebro like this.
  9. staxman

staxman Tele-Holic

Don' think I agree, depends on what I'm expecting--but I don't want to to sidetrack this excellent thread.

getbent likes this.
  10. scottser

scottser Friend of Leo's

Indeed, there are some, in not insignificant positions of authority who regard their own opinions equal to, or higher than facts. We are sowing the seeds of an idiocracy.

getbent likes this.
  11. hepular

hepular Tele-Meister

don't think you're reading very carefully. "how emotions handle you and vice versa" paraphrases the insights of a lotta recent cognitive psych: google scripts, dispositions, and theories of consciousness, antonio damasio being the most accessible. people who wanna deny emotion--well ****, why not just program a bot, throw the result through protools & be done. Heard Stewart ****ing Copeland recently claim that (a). music was only about ****ing (rough paraphrase) & (b). machines made better mating-dance music than humans could. Oh Brave New World that has such machines in it.

now, that typed, most folks who waste time with scales and modes don't know the theory deep enough to produce music with their oh so carefully planned out subdominant tritone to the diminished 6th of the mixolydiot mode.

getbent likes this.
  12. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Friend of Leo's

They’re the leading cause of disappointment.

getbent and staxman like this.
  13. Mexitele Blues

Mexitele Blues Tele-Holic

Shortly before he passed away, my grandfather told us a story of when he drove a tank through Belgium to fight back the Nazis in the battle of the bulge. There had been an unofficial truce called on Christmas Eve, and the soldiers had scrounged up the best feast they could prepare. He said that after they had eaten, a melancholy air settled over his unit, and in the quiet they could hear the German camp across the field singing Silent Night.

Here he began to weep, saying that the Germans had intended to make the Americans homesick by singing carols in order to lower their morale. This was the only time I ever saw him cry. Of course, the Germans had been singing Stille Nacht, and thinking of their own families, but the war had conditioned him to believe it was malicious. That's when I realized that if my own stoic, larger-than-life, tank-driving grampa was ruled by emotion, surely are we all.

superjam144, doghouseman and getbent like this.
  14. getbent

the last bit... like Faulkner's idea to learn all of the rules and perfect them and abandon them.

hepular likes this.
  15. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

expect nothing.

then, if anything happens you can say, “well, at least there’s that...”

Toto'sDad, getbent and staxman like this.
  16. Bluesboy3

Bluesboy3 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Not in my mind, Bent. Compassion is not a psychopathic quality. The fact he was a man of the cloth does not make him less human (or more human for that matter). Simply human. Faith may be ultimately what is simply "inside" all of us as a collective commonality of being human. It is right for you to care about your fellow man and his faith. I agree with what the priest told you. We ARE alone in this world. It is how we handle this fact that makes or breaks us.

Blue Bill likes this.
  17. doghouseman

doghouseman TDPRI Member

Yes, that is correct. Memories can be incorrect especially when they are retrieved over and over, which can happen with memories of emotional situations. Actually, memories for emotional situations are probably more likely to be incorrect because they are constantly relived as opposed to memories that are not relived over and over.

getbent likes this.
  18. Bluesboy3

Bluesboy3 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Eckhardt Tolle dives deeply into this subject. "The Pain Body". The goal is to be able to identify them and when they flare up, realize that they did happen in the past and there is nothing that can be done with them. Forget them and move on. (paraphrasing. Very difficult to achieve in my personal life, although I agree with the idea).

getbent likes this.
  19. doghouseman

doghouseman TDPRI Member

Yes, again, I think we are hard wired to ruminate on bad memories for the sake of survival. It is a very hard behavior to change since it is so embedded.

20. doghouseman

doghouseman TDPRI Member

lower your expectations.

staxman and getbent like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.