Emotion is the enemy

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by getbent, May 20, 2020.

1. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

We just finished watching a show calle 'the rain'... it was astoundingly frustrating, stupid, unscientific and delicious.

But, that and watching people lately (and myself) I have come to believe that feelings, emotions are so much our ENTIRE makeup that even when we believe we are rational, it is a tease... it is just emotions... and they are the enemy.

All these feelings lead to no good (for the most part with dramatic exception, but the dramatic exception could have been avoided without the other emotions that cause the problem in the first place.)

I think moderating emotions might be a good thought... but, it is probably just an emotional response.

2. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I'd re-phrase it - emotion is a factor

When I'm on my game, it's a rather small factor; when it is a larger factor, I'm probably gonna be getting my @$$ kicked.

Like a biathlete - the goal is to get your pulse down real low when you're trying to line up the cross-hairs & hit yr target and get back on track to the next station.
    Banging away hysterically seriously reduces your chances of hitting the center.
    I don't want them to hear me screaming; I'd rather see the target falling. (metaphorically - mods - metaphorically)

Peace - non-violent peace - Deeve

Obsessed, getbent and 68Telebass like this.
  3. TeleTucson

TeleTucson Tele-Afflicted

There is no joy without emotion - not a world most of us would want. But negative emotions can consume us without bringing any benefits, so mastering your ability to control them is indeed the answer.

4. black_doug

black_doug Friend of Leo's

I have a feeling you are right. Then again part of me feels you could be wrong.

Seriously though, my first response to a situation is mostly emotional. That's when I put hope in my rational side to control or moderate my reaction. Doesn't always happen though.

getbent likes this.
  5. chet again

chet again Tele-Afflicted

Yeah...but you're from Cali... :rolleyes:

6. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

I just feel that you're way off base on this.

7. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

You can teach yourself to recognise it and recognise it in others. Makes getting through the daily grind so much more pleasant.

I’d not want to live in an emotionless world, it would be a boring existence.

Frodebro and getbent like this.
  8. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I feel before I think, before I speak even. Chicks love it.

Just kidding, ladies and gents, I’m too tired to bust out Jungian complexes, emotions and affects.

Last edited: May 20, 2020
    Martian and getbent like this.
  9. Rufus

Rufus Tele-Afflicted

Great advice from the most relevant philosopher that I know of...

10. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

2 thoughts on this.

First, we would do infinitely better if we approached more decisions with logic as opposed to wishful thinking.

When we base our opinions on what we WANT to happen rather than on what is likely, we are screwed.

Second, some types of emotions are there to help us make decisions: for example, pure instinct and "hunches".

So emotions aren't the enemy per se. But wishful thinking is the the downfall of our species every time.

11. edvard

edvard Tele-Afflicted

12. getbent

great point... for me, I prefer calm satisfaction to elation. elation worries me.

13. getbent

I think a lot of the time folks think they are being logical, it is deception... it is full on emotion posing.

14. getbent

just think chet... in about 5 years, you'll have this idea.

15. jrblue

jrblue Friend of Leo's

I think we have very little knowledge or understanding of human emotion. Even the word "feelings" is ridiculous on the face of it. And I see people getting into big trouble when they try to verbalize feelings, because using language for this forces you to conceptualize the subject -- emotions -- and emotions are inherently not conceptual! Between nanoprobes and hig-speed, high-volume computing, I expect we'll know way more about what "feelings" are and how they work 3 years or so from now. Since even PhD=holding psychiatrics are essentially witch doctors, we have a long way to go.

Mad Kiwi and getbent like this.
  16. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

It's a bit early to be attending 'philosophy for beginners' tutorials.

I'll come back later. Perhaps.

17. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Emotions tend to be the autonomic initial response... it takes some effort to apply rational thought, which can help you back away from the initial emotional reaction and move toward a reasoned, sensible response.

getbent likes this.
  18. kranz

kranz Tele-Meister

I'm no expert but...

From T.S. Eliot’s essay “The Perfect Critic” for the literary journal Athenaeum in 1920:

The vast accumulations of knowledge—or at least of information—deposited by the nineteenth century have been responsible for an equally vast ignorance. When there is so much to be known, when there are so many fields of knowledge in which the same words are used with different meanings, when everyone knows a little about a great many things, it becomes increasingly difficult for anyone to know whether he knows what he is talking about or not. And when we do not know, or when we do not know enough, we tend always to substitute emotions for thoughts.

19. aging_rocker

aging_rocker Tele-Holic

Can I get that printed on a t-shirt? :twisted:

20. kbold

kbold Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Something Boris Cyrulnik wrote in "Resilience" seems relevant to this post:

"The less we know, the stronger our convictions are. Challenging a body of knowledge can result in an enjoyable debate,
    but challenging someone's convictions is tantamount to calling them a liar, a madman, or an idiot.
    We are much more likely to get angry when we are defending an opinion than when we are developing an idea."

Wise words from the guru.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.