1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

emoney's 2012 Challenge Build Thread -- COMPLETED

Discussion in '2012 TDPRI Tele Build Challenge' started by emoney, Mar 14, 2012.

1. emoney

emoney Tele-Afflicted

I have no idea why I'm doing this, other than the fact that I had planned to
    start a Tele build anyway, so maybe the Challenge will keep me "on task", as
    my elementary-teacher wife is so quick to point out that I'm "off".:lol:

Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2012
  2. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    No better time than now. Good luck.

3. emoney

emoney Tele-Afflicted

Thanks, I'm going to need all I can get....plus a little of yours.

I should go on record now saying that I have no illusion of winning or even being
    in the top 2/3s of this thing, as I have just enough experience at this stuff to
    disqualify me from the beginner category. Now, had this come about a few
    months ago, well that's a whole notha' story:p

4. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire

Good luck, money! Glad you you here and participating!

5. tvvoodoo

tvvoodoo Tele-Afflicted

I be watching, and cheering you on E

6. tomringg

tomringg Tele-Meister

Good luck emoney!

7. emoney

emoney Tele-Afflicted

Thanks all, and glad to be here. Let's hope I make it all the way to end with a playable
    guitar!

8. emoney

emoney Tele-Afflicted

Ok, here's my pic;
    [​IMG]
    Ambrosia for the top, African Mahogany for the neck, Cocobolo for the fretboard and
    I have no idea what I'm using for the body blank yet......gulp.

9. paulmarr

paulmarr Tele-Holic

Looking forward to watching another clever build! ;)

10. FrankenFretter

FrankenFretter TDPRI Member

Right on, good luck to you sir! Looking forward to seeing the progress.

11. Bowensby23

Bowensby23 Tele-Meister

Good luck e! Nice to see you on tdpri. (i'm ocw over on the mlp forums)

12. emoney

emoney Tele-Afflicted

Hey, (ocw) good to see you here as well. Thanks everyone for the well wishes. I'll try
    to keep this thread updated as often as possible and if nothing else, we'll have some fun
    along the way.

13. photondev

photondev Tele-Afflicted

hi emoney - good to see you here also, I am also following your ES build

14. emoney

emoney Tele-Afflicted

Thank you. I'm trying to get that one in the "ready for finish" stage so I can
    concentrate on this one. I am, however, going today to see if I can find some
    "mahogany-like" interesting body wood, with "light" being the most important
    adjective. This Ambrosia doesn't seem to me to be that light as it is, so there
    very well may some "ES" attributes thrown in this sucker....:twisted:

I'm too old for "heavy"...or I should've actually said, "too out of shape".:lol:

15. dilbone

dilbone Tele-Afflicted

nice choices of woods there...gonna be purty I'm sure...

16. emoney

emoney Tele-Afflicted

I'm assuming it would be best to take another picture with my entry sheet once I pick up
    my body wood? If nothing else, I guess it can't hurt.

Thanks, dilbone.

17. emoney

emoney Tele-Afflicted

Well then, we might as well get at it, right? Before we do anything, and since I added
    a body wood, let's share that pic, just in case, okey dokey?;
    [​IMG]
    What's extra in this pic, as opposed to the one above is I've added a piece of African Mahogany
    that's actually got a little ribbon to it. It's too bad it won't be show very much.

Before we get too deep into this thing, and don't worry, I'm a long way away from "deep"
    at this stage, but some of you may need just a touch of background on your "thread host"
    so that some of the decisions you see take place make a little more sense. Let's establish
    this, first and foremost: I'm NOT the guy you want to model your future building efforts on.
    I'm pretty much a "newbie" still, as I've just hit 1 year in this hobby, and I can say I wish
    I'd started much sooner because I'm having a blast. Another thing is that I'm a little on
    the "cheap" side. Well, maybe that's not a fair word, because mainly I just don't like to
    order things because I'm OCD (obsesive compulsive disorder)...functional, of course, and
    a touch (my wife would said "lot" but that's a potato/potatoe thing) ADD (attention deficit disorder)
    so I have the patience of a gnat. I like to be able to run out and pick up whatever I need
    at the moment, so there will be decisions based on that. Ok, enough of the "foo-foo"
    conversation, let's make some sawdust.

In staring at that pile of wood, and rolling around ideas in my head all day at work, I think
    I've finally come up with a game plan for this build. I'm not good enough at this to have
    secrets, so there's no need to be elusive with the information. I plan to build a traditional
    shaped Tele, but with designs elements from a Gibson Les Paul Custom. The body will
    be in 3 pieces, with Mahogany in the middle, a carved Ambrosia top and a flat & thin
    Ambrosia back for resonance. There'll be chambering, so if you're a purist, you might want
    to keep your eyes closed until the body is glued up. I'm going set neck, Mahogany, and
    I'll make my own truss rod.

So, that brings you "up-to-speed" on both me and my "hopes" for this particular build.
    I'm gonna need all the luck I can get. More to follow......

18. emoney

emoney Tele-Afflicted

Alrighty then....on with the show.
    1st things 1st in any build, is to have a plan and a template if you want your curves to
    be the right type of curvey and your straight lines to be somewhat straight. I printed off
    a Tele drawing in 4 sheets of regular printer paper, taped them together and laid them
    out on a piece of Luan (very thin plywood for those scoring at home) like this;
    [​IMG]
    That right there is your Standard Issue Spray Adhesive The Plan to the Template shot.
    Once that's done, it's simply head over to the bandsaw, and ....ummm...bandsaw away;
    [​IMG]
    I like to get as close to the line as possible by an untalented hack, and then proceed to
    the belt sander to finish it up. When I get luck on my side, I end up with this;
    [​IMG]
    The next thing, for me anyway, was to cut up my body woods into their "pre-glue-up" versions,
    and I like to trace the newly minted template on top them, just to make sure I like where
    the body will eventually end up....a little like this;
    [​IMG]
    Here's the top, as I've decided to lay it out;
    [​IMG]
    And the mahogany in the same stage;
    [​IMG]
    The back, you can see here in it's "pre-resawn" shape, underneath the neck blank;
    [​IMG]
    My bandsaw isn't big enough to resaw this piece, so that will be done by handsaw and
    with a lot of consternation and good-old-fashioned cursing as well. I'll make sure that
    I DON'T provide audio of that, so that this thread can remain at the very least, PG-13.

Speaking of the neck blank (we were speaking of that, weren't we?), my OCD-edness
    (that's a medical term so don't let it get to you), caused me to pause here, and wax
    poetic (I don't even know what that means). I had a dilemma, basically, that needed
    solved immediately (that's the "obsessive" part); I need a headstock design that isn't
    somebody else's.

Let's open another reply window, and talk more about that, shall we?

19. emoney

emoney Tele-Afflicted

This is almost like time travelling, isn't it? I mean, don't you feel like you were right there
    with me when I did all this? I could've sworn I saw you, but then again....

Sorry, I digress. The headstock.....that's the problem at the moment. I'm a little too lazy
    to sit down with pencil and blank paper and start drawing out alternatives. I did something
    similar to that about 2-3 months ago when I came up with my 3+3 headstock and I didn't
    enjoy it, if I'm honest. It looks like this;
    [​IMG]
    I even made myself a template of it, so I got that out, and laid it on a piece of scrap poplar
    that I have no idea why I even had (I've done zero woodworking prior to this recent guitar
    building fetish I've picked up), but nevertheless, it was there, so I laid the template on it;
    [​IMG]
    To make this very long and boring story a little shorter, what I decided to do was use
    half of this design, and just put a little triangle on the top half, much like Fender's.
    I ended up with this;
    [​IMG]
    I hope you can see that ok, and if not, it's in the picture above as I cut this out so I'd
    have a template for it as well. If you have thoughts on this "design" please share them.
    I'm sure somehow I've come pretty close to someone else's, but it's really hard to "make
    something new under the sun", since the old expression....oh, nevermind.

Anyway, that's about all I've got done so far. Tomorrow, I'll get back on the cursing and
    handsawing the back plate, then I'll move into joining all three layers and hopefully will
    have them in the glue up stage by the time Friday night ends (I don't have much of a
    social life, as you can tell). I'd like to cut out the 3 layers of the body by Saturday or
    Sunday afternoon at the latest.

So that's it for now. I appreciate any and all comments and thank you in advance for
    visiting my little slice of Tele Build Challenge Heaven. Please do come back......pretty please?

20. crazydave911

crazydave911 Doctor of Teleocity

Sorry so late in the day, welcome and good luck! :D

Dave

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.