Emmience Cannibis Rex Speakers

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Squiretele777, Jun 5, 2019.

1. LuthRavin

LuthRavin Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

According to internet lore..they are(one of) the best out there.. "give them a chance to break in"...sound advise..

2. telel6s

telel6s Tele-Afflicted

I'm jumping on the bandwagon. My CRex first was in an open back cab for a Dr. Z Carmen Ghia where it got used pretty well for a couple of years. It now lives in a non-reverb Princeton with about Treble @ 5 and Bass @ 3. I don't have experience with tons of speakers but it sounds great with both amps.

3. Jakethedog

Jakethedog TDPRI Member

I put one in my 5e2 and am at about 6 hours of playing. I did find the highs a bit harsh at first, but at the 6 hour mark it’s starting to smooth out.

Stick with them, I can tell it’s going to be a great speaker.

4. Festofish

Festofish TDPRI Member

5. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Interesting how people describe the sound of speakers.
    Also interesting what people like in a speaker.

I only use a C Rex in an amp with too much treble and no tone control (Carr Hammerhead V1).
    I've tried it with other amps and don't like the dull tone, clean yet lacking high end articulation, hard to describe.

Playing country on a Telecaster through a Pro Reverb and hearing a new pair of C Rex as too bright is a bit of a mystery?

Could just be a description style issue, or could be setting the amp to try to make the stiff new speakers sound less stiff.

WRT breaking them in, I've broken in a lot of speakers and find it a pretty unpleasant process.
    I also buy a lot of speakers used from players that assumed they sucked when they just needed break in time.

Some methods I've used to get past the unpleasant break in period, which takes the longer time mentioned but is really only the worst for the first few hours, then gets not great but not terrible for a bunch more hours:

One thing that helps is to pair a new speaker with a well broken in speaker, so the ugly is only 50% of the sound.
    Another thing worth considering if you really don't want to play due to the ugly sound is to put the pair or just one in a cab away from where you play, or under a blanket, with one speaker in the amp where you hear it.

Running your tube amp for hours when you're at work is fine for the speaker break in but I wouldn't do that to one of my good tube amps. I've read suggestions to put a tube amp in a closet under a blanket and runs a CD player through it for hours, which would be bad for over heating. A ventilated tube amp can certainly run all day, but you'd be putting hours on power tubes that may or may not be expensive.

A variac is a great method, but you can blow a speaker, and you can also use an AC wall wart- not DC- has to be AC.
    This is pretty loud and unpleasant too, and I've burnt out a wall wart this way while finding the speaker still stiff sounding.
    Weber has a calculator for selecting suitable voltage for the speakers impedance and power handling.
    I think I ran 24v AC into a 120w 8 ohm speaker.

You can of course run a stereo amp into the speakers all day, put on the radio or an ipod on shuffle.
    Cover the speaker cab with a blanket in a closet to not drive the neighbors crazy.
    Lamp cord is good for a long speaker cable if your stereo cables aren't long enough.

Pasta Player likes this.
  6. Hoodster

Hoodster Friend of Leo's

I've owned tons of speakers over the years and ended up trying one of these after hearing all the hoopla. I ran it in a Princeton reverb fitted for a 12 inch and I absolutely hated it. It was broken in by the previous owner, so that was not the problem. The problem was it completely robbed the amplifier of its trademark BF chime and sparkle.

I would describe this speaker as dull and muffled.

Ess Eff likes this.
  7. Hoodster

Hoodster Friend of Leo's

PS - I am a big fan of the eminence patriot and redcoat series in general and have had good luck with virtually every other one of them I have tried. My personal favorite is the copperhead.

8. mthowlett

mthowlett Tele-Meister

I have them in my Hot Rod Deluxe. I play traditional country, so super clean sounds. I love these speakers.

9. W.L.Weller

W.L.Weller Tele-Meister

If you were local, I'd break them in for you while loaning you the Eminence Red White & Blues & Swamp Thang I've currently got a hundred hours on.

10. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

You need 20 to 25 hours at gig volume to break in a Cannabis Rex.

11. Festofish

Festofish TDPRI Member

Mitch Gallagher personally recommend these to me. Great guy! Great book on guitar tone. He responds very quickly to emails.

12. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Friend of Leo's

I've used the C-Rex and putting two in a 2X12 cab should vibrate your world enough to make you sterile. Have you considered mixing the C-Rex with something else with a different tone profile? That would be awesome.

W.L.Weller likes this.
  13. Ess Eff

Ess Eff Tele-Meister

Exactly the same amp and exactly the same experience as you.
    Totally agree.

t-luxe likes this.
  14. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

the C Rex is of course a good speaker. Many advantages; one slight downfall in the mid-low bass; a small hump of muddiness. Say you are playing a neck pickup 335; you notice it.

The RWB is more neutral; perfect with that regard (if you want to roll off some clinical highs) - with a tight, vintage bass response.

15. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

If they sound that bad to you I doubt if break in is gonna help all that much.

May be the amp. I had a BF Pro for a while, and this particular amp was the brightest BF amp ive ever heard. I tried a bunch of speakers including the CRex to tame it, spent way too much on it before giving up and moving it. Just an overly bright amp.

That may not be the case with your amp, but the CRex is a good speaker in the right amp. What speakers were in the amp before?

16. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Meister

I have that same amp and was highly disappointed when I first cranked it up, then I remembered about breaking in the C-Rex. Lacking patience, I put in a Jensen alnico because I love the sparkle and jangle anyway. I did put a C-Rex in an old Blues Junior and it was a huge improvement, really nice tight, strong bass.

17. Hoodster

Hoodster Friend of Leo's

Different strokes for sure, but it does always surprise me that someone would want a Blackface amp and then put in a speaker that completely changes its essential character.

BF = mid scoop, chime, and sparkle. That's why Fender paired them with the original Jensens.

Ess Eff and ConsiderMeMiles like this.
  18. No457 Snowy

No457 Snowy Tele-Meister

I think the CRex does really well in the Bjr, it's a great match as the amp, small cab size, and speaker seem mesh very well with each balancing out the more negative attributes of the other.

19. Daytona.57

Daytona.57 TDPRI Member

20. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

I bought a used (nicely broken in) C-Rex from Music Go Round. It has lots of bass and body.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.