Emmience Cannibis Rex Speakers

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Squiretele777, Jun 5, 2019.

1. Squiretele777

Squiretele777 TDPRI Member

I just installed 2 12 inch cannabis rex speakers in my fender pro reverb amp,and I must say I was quite disappointed,the highs were to bright and and the low strings were muddy,i play lead country,this is what the guy recommended,what are your thoughts on these speakers?,i,m stuck with them now,dont even wanna pick the guitar up,,i play a tele thru it.

2. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Meister

Break-in?

Squiretele777 likes this.
  3. Andoris

Andoris Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

These really need the break in time, and are great once that's done. A lot of people give up on them early without waiting for break in

jwp2, JD0x0 and Squiretele777 like this.
  4. Knowcaster

Knowcaster Tele-Holic

I have never heard anyone say the highs on a Cannabis Rex are too bright! Usually people think the highs are too muted if they have a complaint. I have one in my DRRI and overall am happy with it, though I usually run the Treble on 5 and the Bass on 2.5 or 3.

5. heffus

heffus Tele-Holic

Gotta give em time to break in.

6. Squiretele777

Squiretele777 TDPRI Member

Thanks guys,so I guess break in time depends on the time spent playing,i just installed them today,or I didn't,i had a amp guy do it. Any idea how many hours it takes for they come togeather,roughly? I know its a hard question to answer,Thanks,

7. Bowpickins

Bowpickins Tele-Meister

I haven't tried the Eminence Cannabis Rex speaker, but I am running a pair of Eminence Lil' Texas in my 1972 Fender Twin Reverb, and a Texas Heat in my '65 Deluxe Reverb Reissue. I ran them all through my Fender Mustang III, for about 40 hours each, with a set drone note from my violin into a looper pedal.

I almost gave up on the Texas Heat when I first put it into my DRRI, because, it sounded a little shrill on my violin and didn't sound as warm as I hoped. Running them through the looper fixed that and made it one of my favorite speakers! The Lil' Texas speakers sounded great after breaking them in, as well, and the speakers just sound better the more I use them. :)

8. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

Got a Variac to expedite break-in? I logged 40 hrs on my CR before it went in my SFDR.

telemnemonics and Squiretele777 like this.
  9. ConsiderMeMiles

ConsiderMeMiles TDPRI Member

Speakers can take up to 50+ hours at stage volume to break in. So, #dontbeaquitter.

Several manufacturers will break them in upon request (Weber, for example). You're past that point, so your options are A: play the speaker at stage volume for 50+ hours (I know, I'm old fashioned), or B: plug an iPod into the input jack, and let 'er rip.

10. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Depending on your neighbors....plug a mic into your amp, stick it in front of your stereo, crank 'em up, go to work.
    Repeat.

11. King Creole

King Creole Friend of Leo's

A lot of the break-in happens after the first 2 hours or so of loud playing. So have some fun, jam out for two or three hours. The rest can be gradual over the life of the speaker.

12. Ess Eff

Ess Eff Tele-Meister

I agree with @Knowcaster. I def didn't find it too bright, but the opposite - full, warm n lower/mid focused.

I think of CRex as a way to de-Fender an amp. Remove the soup.

Nick Fanis likes this.
  13. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

This. The most audible changes usually come within the first few hours. Dial in a punchy sound, set your amp loud and play it to get that cone loosened up

telemnemonics likes this.
  14. No457 Snowy

No457 Snowy Tele-Meister

As others have mentioned the CRex takes a fairly long while to break-in and pretty much needs good volume to get there, they just get better the more you play them. I'd imagine that's not going to be as easy to get those broken-in on an amp with two of them since the CRex speaker is really loud and with two they aren't getting worked as hard as in a 1x12.

telemnemonics likes this.
  15. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

Long time V30 & Greenback guy and, man the Emmi Lil' Texas is a monster and its light as a feather!!!

homesick345 likes this.
  16. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I put a pair of those in my old Bandmaster cab back in April. I thought they sounded stiff at first, but after a month of moderately loud playing them with my '70 Twin Reverb head pushing them, they sound fantastic. I'm an old Country picker with a Tele and they definitely do it 100% for me. I really like these.

Daytona.57 and jwp2 like this.
  17. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

There’s something wrong with your speakers, install or amp.

Those speakers are dull, muted and ponderous/slow to react, but with tight lows.

I never kept a C-Rex because they made amps too loud, clean and dark.

Excess treble wasn’t a problem, even when broken in.

I wonder if your guy wired them up out of phase? Or in series rather than parallel, or vice versa?

18. Henry Mars

Henry Mars Tele-Afflicted

The Fex needs to be pushed hard for 30 or 40 hrs before it starts sounding good, I use them in 3 amps and love ‘em. You need to pe patient.

19. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

They’re a great speaker but I wouldn’t call them bright.
    Check if they’re hooked up correctly.

20. gitold

gitold Friend of Leo's

My Tweed PRRi came with a 12 inch CR and it’s a great combo for me. Increases headroom and doesn’t have those icepick highs. Took two weeks of playing before I noticed it breaking in but I liked it from the get go.

Daytona.57 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.