Eminence Red White and Blues vs Cannabis Rex ?

Hoodster

Friend of Leo's
I disagree. It doesn’t do any good to have countless threads on the same topic.

I’ve owned both of these speakers and ended up not caring for either of them, although I vastly prefer the RWB. The cannabis rex kills all the sparkle of a fender amplifier and as noted above the RWB sounds best when cranked. At low volumes it is kind of uninspiring.

I would look at the Emi Legend series, or for a bit of a wild card, the Wizard from their British series.

Andy B

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
RWB user for many years. They break in real nice with time. I recently installed 2 Eminence Lil' Texas speakers in a Silverface Twin Reverb to lighten the load for a friend. They sound wonderful. I will be using them in the future due to the weight savings of the Neo magnet.

Blue David

TDPRI Member
Hey All - I have a Suhr Badger30 with a custom solid pine 1x12 open back cab. (26x17x10)
I have had a Weber Legacy, a Texas Heat, Governor, Tonker and finally a RWB in it and have kept the RWB.

The Weber was too bright and was too much bass with the bass control all the way down with NO mids.
The TH had no OPEN highs, bassy and muddy mids

The Governor was too bassy and had a mid scoop with decent highs

The tonker was an improvement over the Gov; less bass but still had a small scoop.

Finally the RWB has the flat response - look it up on the Eminence site- versus the others.

Yes it has a high bump and is not flat across the board - like the others, but I don't have to cut the bass off and still have too much...

I do wish I could have tried the CRex as I love the tone hunt; but I'm afraid it would not have had that openness on the top end I want.

The RWB is exactly as advertised on the site and the Eminence demo video on youtube.

The videos are well done and if you look at the amp used- Marshall style vs Fender, you can choose your speaker by amp used then tone.

This is one great OLD thread!

Sonicboom1

TDPRI Member
After playing a red white and blue for 6 months. Have found it gives an irritating ice picking thing too the sound. I'm ordering a CR to try and get away from this ice picking thing.

homesick345

Poster Extraordinaire
thanks billm, i wanted to say the same thing when i saw that description of the rw&b, just plain wrong. i appreciate your description, and it re-affirms the fact that i do want a c-rex, or at least that i do NOT want a red, white, and blues when the time comes to get my PR. It baffles me that so many builders want to use these speakers so much when they sell you a new amp...it never seemed like a top choice by any stretch. who knows, maybe it is a cost thing or they ahve boxes of them in their shop. thanks.

RWB is one of the better 12 inch guitar speakers ever made.

And all the descriptions I usually find on the internet - like the post above or the one in BillM's are so completely off it's funny

Conclusion: there's no point arguing tone or what we hear (or want to hear)

Last edited:

KokoTele

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
I put a 12" RWB in a Hot Rod Deluxe at the suggestion of Mark Norwine. This was maybe 12 years ago, and his opinion was that it was the best speaker available for classic Fender tones at the time. He has an excellent ear and had tried a jillion different speakers in the amps he made.

I've been very happy with it. The bass never gets flubby, the highs are round and sparkly, and there are a lot of rich overtones available.

Having said all of that, this thread makes it clear that we all interpret and describe sound in different ways, so I'm not certain anyone else's description can do anything but get you in the ballpark of the sound you want to hear. You'll have to try some out for yourself and see what you like.