1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Eminence Maverick

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Mark the Moose, Jan 10, 2020.

1. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Holic

I’m hoping to get some info about the speaker itself, not just the FDM feature. I understand it gets quieter and you perceive less highs, but how would the speaker tonally compare to a 12F150 or a Red White & Blues...or something else which is fairly common? If you've owned one and can make some useful comparisons I would love to hear.

2. jsnwhite619

jsnwhite619 Friend of Leo's

Somebody who posts regularly at Shock Brothers has one and loves it. Can't remember who though. Might try the question over there if you come up dry here.

3. trxx

trxx Tele-Afflicted

One thing that crossed my mind about these FDM speakers is that when running a mixed pair, having control over each speaker's volume could allow for balancing one to the other, where with regular speakers you get what you get. If you have ever mixed a pair of speakers where the sound of one was overtaken by the other, you know what I mean.

JustABluesGuy likes this.
  4. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Can't compare the Maverick to another Eminence speaker because outside of two OEM ones in an old Sano amp I don't own any. I know they make great speakers but the sensitivity ratings are too high for me on everything but the FDM choices.
    You can get the FDM assembly on other speakers through the custom shop.

5. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Friend of Leo's

I own both the Maverick and the Reignmaker, and while I can’t make any direct comparisons to other speakers they both sound great to me. IMHO Eminence did a really terrible job of marketing these amazing speakers.

Between a few amps of varying wattage and these speakers I can cover a lot of different situations effectively.

goldwax and BobbyZ like this.
  6. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Friend of Leo's

But only in 12” versions right?

7. trxx

trxx Tele-Afflicted

Maybe they should have just advertised FDM as a custom shop option from the getgo. And they should have made it an option for 10" speakers too. It's an innovative feature, and I never heard about it until someone mentioned it recently on this forum.

8. Mark the Moose

I built a high-powered Princeton Reverb over the holidays with a Weber 12F150. While I don't dislike the Weber, it's crazy loud. While not many people have experience with the Maverick, I haven't found anyone who disliked it...a rarity amongst internet posters... so I'm inclined to give it a shot.

9. aerhed

aerhed Friend of Leo's

Yup i've done the HP Princeton with 12F150. Big and loud. Hard when new. The Maverick sounds similar, maybe less hard. It does sound a lot like a RWB. Pretty good, I give it an 8.5. It still sounds good attenuated to about 2/3 full then slowly becomes blah towards max attenuation. I'd call it a good work speaker.

10. Mark the Moose

I wonder how the magnet adjustment would combine with a output attenuator, would the negative effects compound or would it be more transparent by using each device in a more limited way?

11. aerhed

aerhed Friend of Leo's

My head tells me that would suck. Idk. I will say the couple good notches of attenuation from the maveriMa sounded better than any attenuator ivI' tried.

Mark the Moose likes this.
  12. caspersvapors

caspersvapors Tele-Meister

wish they would put out an alnico version!

13. BobbyZ

As I understand it the FDM assembly only comes with 1.75 in voice coil. They make at least one 10" with a 1.75 VC maybe that would would work? An inquiry to the custom shop would be the best bet.

I really like the Maverick and find it's range very useful. Not everyone will however because even at 91 db, the lowest setting, they put out a fair amount of volume. A gain on 10 master volume on 1 type player won't be impressed at all.
    What I've said all along is they're like an MV that only goes from 5 to 10. Very useful for gigging or warming up an amp at lower volumes but you won't get death metal distortion at bedroom volumes.
    The tone seems to change as you turn the dial but not in a bad way, to me anyway.

Bottom line. They're speakers some will love them, some will hate them, that's just how it's is with speakers.
    Only way to find out is try one yourself. :)

14. horseman308

horseman308 Tele-Holic

They will put FDM on some of their 10" speakers. I'll have to dig thru my email, but somewhere I have a quote from Eminence listing the price to add it. It's not super cheap, but it might be worth it depending on your needs.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

JustABluesGuy and BobbyZ like this.
  15. BobbyZ

I could see a 10" FDM being nice in a Princeton Reverb. You can get 10s down to about 93db which is nice for home or even some gigs but you're stuck with 93db if you need more volume. Conversely you put in something with 99 or 100 db for gigs and you're stuck with that at home. A Maverick goes from 92.5 to 99.5 db, I'm sure a 10" would be similar.
    Four of them in a Super Reverb might be ok for some guys but in amps that big I just go for the low DB stuff, one of my SRs has 93 db C10Rs. With an SR there's plenty of amp there to make all the volume I need.
    As it stands Eminece really doesn't make any speakers I'm interested in other than the FDM ones. The rest are just too darn sensitive.

16. RoyBGood

RoyBGood Doctor of Teleocity

I had one a while ago. Tonally, it was ok (but nothing special) and the attenuation effect wasn't as obvious as I'd expected.

17. W.L.Weller

W.L.Weller Tele-Holic

I think I should start looking for cheap warehouse space and advertise it as an amp playground. Offer speaker break-in services, a big jam room...

I have a RW&B and a Swamp Thang in a Fender Twin and it's a gorgeous sound in a 3000sf. warehouse. More people should have the chance to turn amps up.

18. trxx

trxx Tele-Afflicted

That is interesting. I wonder why they don't mention this stuff on their site, that FDM is an option for speakers other than the Reignmaker and Maverick.

I also wonder why Eminence offers no non-FDM speakers with lower sensitivity.

What did you mean by "you're stuck with 93db if you need more volume"?, since it is the case that FDM adjusts from ~ 93db to 99db.

19. trxx

trxx Tele-Afflicted

In general, that is what has turned me off of Emiinence to date. I tried a couple of their speakers long ago, and they were 'ok', not great. Some years later I heard a mixed pair in a 212 cab that sounded really good, and that got me curious again about Eminence. But listening to demos on their site and their youtube channel, I don't hear anything that sounds interesting or even good. They should take some input from players/customers and do some demos that really show off what their speakers can do tonally. The current demos make their speakers sound 'meh'.

20. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I put a Maverick in my DRRI. I think it’s a great sounding speaker with just enough attenuation to take the edge off when loudness is an issue. 8 decibels doesn’t sound like much, but it’s quite noticeable. The one thing you lose is the crystalline highs that the one C12K gives, albeit in a slightly harsh manner.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.