Eminence Maverick speaker for Tweed?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by King Fan, Nov 2, 2019.

1. King Fan

King Fan Friend of Leo's

There was a good one-page thread about this question a year ago from our friend @caspersvapors . At that time several folks said they were considering it, so I thought I'd give the question a second go.

The Mav's dial-a-flux volume control gets generally good reviews, so I'm wondering if the speaker's *voice* would suit tweed -- especially bigger cleaner louder tweed. I'm specifically thinking about something like the 5G9 with its choke, LTP, and fixed bias -- but any 12" tweed would be a fine test bed.

I'd welcome any experience in a brownface amp, too -- I'm just wondering if the 'American voice' of the Maverick was specifically tuned for blackface.

theprofessor likes this.
  2. caspersvapors

caspersvapors Tele-Meister

Just to give another update here, I never ended up getting one of these but Im still intrigued. Also Eminence also said you can order a number of their other speakers equipped with the FDM feature from their custom shop as long as it is also a 38 oz ceramic 12” with a 1.75” voice coil.

King Fan likes this.
  3. H. Mac

H. Mac Friend of Leo's

I’ve used the Emi Maverick in 5E3 and 5F1 clones and really like it in both. Clear, well balanced between highs, mids, and lows, punchy, and the tweed crunch is especially sweet.

I’ve also used th Reignmaker in these clones, and it also sounds great.

Emi made a big mistake by focusing the marketing these speakers on the FDM technology while failing to emphasize the fact that these are really good sounding speakers.

King Fan and horseman308 like this.
  4. horseman308

horseman308 Tele-Holic

Yeah, I got a quote from them to put the FDM on a couple of 10" speakers. I don't remember now what the details were, just that after crunching the numbers, it wasn't worth the price, since I needed a pair of them.

But I can totally see this for a tweed-era amp. I still will probably get one for my VHT Special 6, which is basically a hot rodded tweed champ circuit.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

King Fan likes this.
  5. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

H. Mac and King Fan like this.
  6. Hatfield92

Hatfield92 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I’ve got a Maverick-6G2 combo. Works great. Highly recommend.

King Fan likes this.
  7. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

The ones from Eminence seem dirt cheap compared to those! :)
    I've got a Maverick in a DR and definitely like it. Of course me being me I like it maxed out with the amp cranked up. For most practical uses its dialed down though.
    I describe them this way. Think of it like a master volume that only goes from 5 to 10. A useful range. But it's still like 91 db at one watt on the lowest setting. Not the answer for a bedroom player that wants to crank an amp.
    But for someone that wants to turn the amp higher without getting crazy loud very useful.
    Sometime I'm getting two for a BFTR !
    Yeah I like um.

H. Mac, King Fan and Hatfield92 like this.
  8. Hatfield92

Like BobbyZ says, it’s most useful in being able to dial in the sweet spot for rehearsal and small gig settings. This past week at rehearsal, I had my 6g2 maxed out, playing rhythm guitar behind a lead guy playing through the big Boss Katana. It still wasn’t enough. So I turned the Maverick’s knob up halfway and I was good to go. We were LOUD, playing in the drummer’s rehearsal room.

BobbyZ and King Fan like this.
  9. zeedoctour

zeedoctour Tele-Meister

I have an Eminence Red Coat (the Gov'ner model) in my V22 and I tell you, it's a monstrously nice speaker. One of the nicest I have used, if not THE nicest.

King Fan likes this.
  10. King Fan

King Fan Friend of Leo's

Good info, all, thanks. For sure, 91dB isn't gonna be 'quiet' like the 1/2W settings on modern scaling amps. But 91dB is a whole lot *less loud* than 94 or 97 or 100...

Good to hear from people who like 'em, and especially folks who like 'em in tweeds. Sounds like they aren't 'just for Blackface'. Still, my other, related hesitation is the ceramic thing. I like blues-y tone, and I tend to like alnico 'compression' even in BFs, more so in tweeds. Some sources say the originals came with P12Rs. Ampwares combines listings for the 5e9a and 5G9, and describes the speaker as "P12Q or C12Q".

But I've learned not to go all crazy on speaker choice. You do your best to guess what'll work, but sometimes you have to try, try again.

11. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

When it comes to the fine points of vintage Fender amps, it all started with the Gagliano/aHuntington/Riebe articles as far as documenting and consolidating info drawn from thousands of actual amps. This is where the serial number charts came from, and here in Article III is where the speaker info is to be found....no matter who publishes what or where.

http://www.ggjaguar.com/fendamp3.htm

H. Mac and King Fan like this.
  12. King Fan

King Fan Friend of Leo's

Excellent, Wally, thanks. I've read the first part of that smart article, but I forgot it also covered speakers. Great info; one of the best possible summaries of early and later Fender speaker types. Greg's table has P12Q or C12Q for the 5e9a, and doesn't specifically list the 5G9. But if P12Q was the standard speaker in the 5e3, and the 5e9a was about as loud and distorted as a 5e3, and the 5G9 was louder but cleaner (Greg reminds us distortion effectively lowers a speaker's power rating) then the same basic speakers should work in all three.

13. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

One other thing about the Maverick, a question actually.
    It seems to "soften up" as I dial it down. Not good at describing tone but full up it seems "stiffer" in a good way.
    Those of you with Mavericks notice the same thing?
    Obviously the amp is going to change as well because you turn that up as you drop DBs with the speaker. But I've tried it with out changing amp settings too. Then volume comes into play.
    If I'm hearing all this right I'd say the thing gets more "vintage alnico" sounding the lower it goes.
    Or I could just be crazy.
    That's why I'm asking what you guys hear. :)

King Fan likes this.
  14. Hatfield92

I’ve only had mine a couple of months now, and I’m fairly certain I’ve never had mine above halfway. I personally can’t detect a discernible change in tone from minimum to halfway. Keep in mind, when I’ve “turned it up”, it’s been in the heat of battle, so to speak. So I’m not exactly able to analyze the tone.

I’m sorry I can’t immediately give you some better data, but I’m an apartment dweller.

BobbyZ and King Fan like this.
  15. King Fan

King Fan Friend of Leo's

That's helpful, Bobby, and I'll be looking for what you hear from other Mav owners. From what I read, I think you're describing something real -- people seem to say the speaker gets tamer or softer in attack or more muted in personality or something as it gets turned down, especially way down.

Something like that might not be all bad. Some nights I feel like my tweeds have a perfect singing tone, but some nights they seem a little metallic, shrill, harsh, percussive -- dunno -- so if I could at least maybe dial in the amount of 'softness' it wouldn't bother me.

BobbyZ likes this.
  16. johnnylaw

johnnylaw Tele-Afflicted

I think the Macerick is a great sounding speaker. It also has a variable attenuation feature that really opens up more versatility in an amp.
    Try one!

BobbyZ likes this.
  17. caspersvapors

caspersvapors Tele-Meister

Did you ever get the maverick?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.