Eminence GB128

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by gibson11, Feb 25, 2018.

1. gibson11

gibson11 Tele-Meister

How would this sound paired with a Legend 1258 in a cab? The price is right and my Celestion Rocket is not cutting it.

2. tarheelbob

tarheelbob Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

um, how would what sound...?

3. gibson11

gibson11 Tele-Meister

Stratocaster w/Egnator Tweaker into a carvin cab for Rock, blues, and jazz

4. igor5

igor5 Tele-Meister

I own one that. And I really like it. I guess "GB" means "greenback"... It's pretty loud.

5. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

it will sound awesome

I don't see how this could suck

emisilly likes this.
  6. noname_dragon

noname_dragon Tele-Holic

That's an excellent pair of speakers. In fact it's marketed as the "crankin' country'" set. I put the pair in a '66 Band Master that I customized with a partial open back. It's Fender with some added midrange thickness from the GB. The 1258 is what you would expect from a good original C12N.

tho618 likes this.
  7. tho618

tho618 TDPRI Member

I would think awesome. I own both. 1258 has tight lows and great sparkle. GB has rounder, looser lows, fantastic grit bit with a chimey clarity. To me they will compliment each other very well.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
  8. gibson11

gibson11 Tele-Meister

Thanks for the input, just bid on a GB128, it will be awesome

9. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I don't have any direct experience with a GB128. But, I have a Celestion Creamback 65 (that people kinda equate/compare with Greannbacks) paired with a 1258 in my old '58 Twin. It sounds quite good. It was a much better pair than I anticipated! I was most worried about the disparity in efficiency, but it seems to have worked out fine.

I love pairing different speakers - magnets, tonal range, etc. As long as both speakers are good at something, I think you end up with the best of both speakers a lot of the time. I haven't put two weird things together yet and not been happy with the end result.

10. gibson11

gibson11 Tele-Meister

The band master was my first amp, sold it off years ago, loved the smell as it warmed up.

11. barfoden

barfoden Tele-Meister

The GB128 has a high efficiency but to my ears (1x12 open back cab), it has a wide midrange band (300Hz to 800Hz), big boomy low and less cutting high mids (1kHz to 2Khz) which requires a healthy dose of EQ to make it cut in a band situation.
    with my particular bass heavy amp I need to lower the bass pot to 9 oclock, mids 10 o'clock (low center frequency on the midrange control) and increase the treble to at least 2 o'clock.
    When doing this you loose a bit of sensitivity because i need to lower the mids and bass and increase the treble to cut through.. It might be slightly an effect of the undoped nature of the speaker.

northernguitar likes this.
  12. TequilaCaster

TequilaCaster Tele-Holic

My experience with the GB128 was the same. It sounds great when playing by yourself or recording, but it disappears in a live band mix. I never could EQ my amp to make it work on a gig. A V30 replaced it for performances.

northernguitar, D_Malone and barfoden like this.
  13. schenkadere

schenkadere Friend of Leo's

The GB128 is a great speaker and doesn't break the bank. I one in a Randall 12" combo and it makes the amp.

14. barfoden

barfoden Tele-Meister

I think it fairs better in a small closed back cab where the trapped air can act as a spring on cone movement raising the speakers Rf and giving it a tighter bass response and a sligtly different mid response

15. D_Malone

D_Malone Tele-Holic

This has been my experience as well. I was surprised by how dark it is. I much prefer the Celestion G12M Greenback, G12M-65 and G12H-75 Creambacks. But, with a bright amp the Eminence could work well. I’ve had many Eminence speakers and they’re all great.

northernguitar and uriah1 like this.
  16. zook

zook Friend of Leo's

I think it's more likely that GB stands for "Great Britain"

northernguitar likes this.
  17. D_Malone

D_Malone Tele-Holic

Maybe. I can’t say for sure if that’s true, but this speaker definitely lacks the upper mid/high end sizzle and bark one would expect from a British-voiced speaker.

I’m not knocking Eminence. They make great speakers, but this one is not an alternative to a Celestion in my opinion.

18. vanr

vanr Tele-Afflicted

After being a Celestion guy all my life, I've found that the GB128 or V12 is all I need. Either one is fine. Changing to Eminence took the fizz out of my tone. And that's good.

Wally likes this.
  19. Bartholomew3

Bartholomew3 Friend of Leo's

I have a 68 silverface drip-edge twin that I bought new that year. Recently replaced original blown speakers with GB128 plus a 1258 Legend.

Works really well but due to weight it's my living-room amp now so still haven't used it at gig volume levels in a club and probably never will again.

Downsized... Am a tube nut but have to say the new Champion 40 I just bought sounds just like that old twin and weighs nothing.

Wally likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.