1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Eminence GA SC-64 12 in Princeton Reverb

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by noname_dragon, Apr 16, 2021.

1. noname_dragon

noname_dragon Tele-Holic

Anyone tried this speaker in their PR? I have a baffle cut for a 12 and I've tried several I had laying around including the EMI GB128, 1258, and Jensen P12R, with mixed results. I'm going for a classic but bigger Fender tone with a bit more headroom IMG_1759.jpeg . I sure like the GA SC-64- 10 in there as well as in my Vibrolux.

Greggorios likes this.
  2. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Great speaker for that application, ime. I don’t know that the difference between the 10” and the 12” will get you where you want to go, though. I predict similarity.....but am subscribed.

noname_dragon likes this.
  3. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

I have the 12 in my PR. I love it. But my PR has a Deluxe tranny.

I'm surprised the 1258 doesn't get you close though.... It should be big and bold...

I also have the GA SC64 in my Princeton (non rev) clone.

Oh, and I have one in my 64 BFD... I guess there's a recurring theme here.... :lol:

noname_dragon and Greggorios like this.
  4. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

I'd stick with the 10" - it was created for that amp and it's a match made in heaven.

5. gridlock

gridlock Poster Extraordinaire

Don’t know about a Princeton, but I’ve had GA-SC64’s in two vintage BF Deluxe Reverbs and one in my current SF Deluxe Reverb.

I’ve also put two GA10-SC64’s in a Vibroverb RI. These are some of my favorite speakers in a Fender amp.

82D47126-97F9-4F80-85A2-7E7FDBE57AF4.jpeg

6. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Great for black/silverface tone. Have a 12" in a blackface Champ clone (Gries 5) and I really like it. Great clean Fender tones. Add's some low end and get's really full/loud for 5 watts.

7. Bob M

Bob M Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have 2 10” sc 64s in a Tremolux cab. They are as close to vintage Fender as you can get IMHO. If not for the impedance miss match I would throw one of them into my PRRI.

8. El Duderino

El Duderino Tele-Meister

I have the 10" version in my Princeton Reverb. I tried Celestion Gold 10, JBL D110, Weber and on and on. The SC64 is by far the best for me with a Tele or LP. It's the closest I've heard to the real Jensen that came in the vintage amps of the day. I would also keep a 10" in the Princeton. I've tried a 12" before but it was to "boxy" sounding for me if that makes any sense.

9. lathoto

lathoto Tele-Meister

Go the rest of the way and drop in an EVM12L.

10. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Afflicted

I have a PRRI SE 12" 15w and briefly tried a 12" Allesandro in it. The speaker has a lot of high end sparkle and air for a ceramic, but is massively loud and almost felt like it was overpowering the cabinet size (I ended up going Celestion for a specific application). I put it in my DRRI and it's an absolute monster in that amp, really can't turn it up past 3 hardly. With all the other testimonials here, you really owe it to yourself to try it out.

11. rolandk

rolandk TDPRI Member

I have the 10 in my ‘65 PRRI and I absolutely adored it from the first note. It’s very similar to the Jensen where they kept all the good things about it and fixed all the bad things. It has a warm, full bodied, classic BF sound.

12. jsnwhite619

jsnwhite619 Friend of Leo's

It's a dirtier speaker than I expected. It's loud and sounds great, but it breaks up as much or more than any other speaker in that power class I've ever tried.

I put one in a jacked up Harvard I built for a friend a few years ago. I ended up buying it back from him because he couldn't turn the amp past 2-3 anywhere he played - it's loud. He loved the crunch and tone, but he couldn't use it anywhere he was playing. And that was 12-14W at best.

I tried a 1258 in a Princeton Reverb build a couple years ago and it sounded great except way too bright. Ended up with a Cannabis Rex in it. That speaker has sounded great in every Fender clone or original I've tried it in except a 5e3 clone. And a 1258 is dynamite in a 5e3...brightest speaker sounds great in the darkest amp.

So, I'll throw out the C-Rex for it. Takes some breaking in, but it lets you crank the treble more and get more drive in that bandwidth without making your ears bleed.

13. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

I will Throw in a bd10 by supro. Not sure who makes. Warm but loud. More of a Keith thing if you are looking for that.

14. Ess Eff

Ess Eff Tele-Afflicted

I wud have thought an Emi 1258 wud give you EXACTLY what u say u are looking for?

C Rex = TOTALLY opposite of what u want! How to de-Fender a Fender.

IMO.

But I have my own take on this...
    IMG_20191222_175926.jpg
    IMG_20191223_112425.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.