Eminence EM12 opinions, please

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by D_Malone, Jun 24, 2019.

1. D_Malone

D_Malone Tele-Meister

Please share your impressions and experiences with the Eminence EM12.

I'm strongly considering this speaker for an open back 1x12 cabinet, to be paired with my Quilter Mach 2 head.

I've been using EVM12Ls and EV Force 12s for years and I haven't found anything I like better.
    The Force 12s are getting old, and the EVM12L is expensive. I'm thinking I might like the Eminence. The price is right and it seems to get mostly positive reviews.

2. D_Malone

D_Malone Tele-Meister

Well I finally got an EM12 and it might be my new favorite speaker.

It stays clean, like an EVM12L, but it has a spike around 2.5K that really pushes your sound forward. Sounds fantastic with the amp clean and dirty. Plenty of available low end punch, but not boomy or farty. High end is super clear, but not harsh.

I’ll post a more in-depth review after a couple more rehearsals, but so far I am very impressed.

I still love the EVM12L, but the Eminence sounds more like a guitar speaker, rather than a PA speaker, and it’s half the price.

schmee likes this.
  3. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

Thanks for the report. I've wondered too, being a fan of EV's in general. My favorite being the EV15B Bass/PA speaker. Not harsh, not spikey bright. And it's got that EV "raspy clean" to it!

D_Malone likes this.
  4. D_Malone

D_Malone Tele-Meister

Honestly, I’m trying really hard not to gush until I’ve had some more time with it. Every one of my amps sounds better through it.

5. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

Eminence makes a neo magnet version too, I wonder how it compares?

D_Malone likes this.
  6. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

Thanks for the report. Eminence is definitely competitive on price and I’ve had good luck every time with them. Nice to know they have an offering similar to EV....

D_Malone likes this.
  7. D_Malone

D_Malone Tele-Meister

I was tempted, but I’ve been disappointed with every neo speaker I’ve tried. They all have what I would describe as very fast attack. To me they make it sound like you’re picking/digging in way too hard, even when you’re picking softly.

It has similarities and differences. I would consider it an alternative, not a replacement. Not knocking the EVM12L at all, but I prefer the Eminence.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.