Emery Sound SuperBaby

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Torren61, Aug 18, 2019.

1. Torren61

Torren61 Tele-Afflicted

I recently acquired an Emery SuperBaby, 1X10 cab with Weber Blue Pup speaker and Weber Mini Mass. I found a killer deal on Reverb and pulled the trigger. I got those plus about $400 worth of tubes for just over $1000. Most of you probably know about Emery Sound amps. The Superbaby is a small tube amp that puts out 6-12 watts. You can run just about any preamp tube, power tube and rectifier tube without the need to re-bias the amp. You can use a 4, 8 or 16 Ohm speaker. UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2f96.jpg

I'm liking this amp very much. Swapping tubes is fun and different tubes really do sound different. If you start with an EL84 (have to use the yellowjacket adapter) to a 6V6 to a 6L6 to an EL34, there is quite a bit of sound difference between them.

My favorite cab to pair with this amp so far is a 4X10 Traynor cab loaded with Weber alnicos. It's surprising to hear just how much this amp can push. You throw a 6550 power tube in there and it screams. I have nearly every tube you can use in this amp except for a KT90. My favorite tube combination so far is 12AX7 (old Telefunken), EL34 (old RCA) and 5Y3GT (old RCA). The 12AX7 hits hard into the EL34 which breaks up at a modest volume while still letting you get a clean by backing off your guitar volume and the 5Y3GT gives a semi-spongy feel.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2f97.jpg

2. H. Mac

H. Mac Friend of Leo's

I’ve had my Superbaby for 12 years. It’s a great amp with endless potential, all because of an ingenious design.

Torren61 likes this.
  3. CV Jee Beez

CV Jee Beez Tele-Holic

Their great. I had one and loved it. I sued with a reconed JMI era Alnico Silver. I used it at band practices and gigs without being mic'd. I tried a tone of tubes. My favorite combo was the potato masher rectifier with a TAD KT66 (Chinese) and some NOS 12AX7 (American).

Torren61 likes this.
  4. Wallaby

Wallaby Tele-Meister

Dangit I thought I had it under control...

Emery amp owners, what do they sound like?

The Voicing option seems interesting... is it like a presence or NFB control, plus gain tweaks?

Aaargh.

Torren61 likes this.
  5. CV Jee Beez

CV Jee Beez Tele-Holic

I think it may be relate to a change in power. It changes from a softer sound to a a stiffer sound. Probably similar to the difference in tone between a SS or tube rectifier.

Torren61 likes this.
  6. Torren61

Torren61 Tele-Afflicted

Well, you plug into the jack far left in the front panel. The next toggle has three positions... up=Boost, middle=Loose Sag and down=Low Power. The next small knob is tone in or bypass. Complete counterclockwise is bypassing the tone circuit, middle is neutral, CCW rolls off the highs and gain while CW rolls off the lows and gain. The larger knob is volume. In the rear you have speaker jack, standby toggle and on/off toggle.

So, you can do just about anything you need to do, tonally, by changing tube combinations and speakers. Any cabinet with 4,8 or 16 Ohms will work. You'd really be surprised how much changing out nothing else than a EL84 to an EL34 will completely move the tone of the amp to another direction. Preamp tube swaps make a pretty decent change in this amp. A 12AU7 cleans up this amp compared to a 12AX7 which will give it serious crunch. Swapping rectifier tubes makes the amp respond ever so slower from a GZ34 to a 5Y3. A bigger tube like the 6550 gives it a LOT more headroom. A 6V6GT is tight and crunchy but can get very clean.

H. Mac likes this.
  7. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Here is a gut shot.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=eme...8&hl=en-us&client=safari#imgrc=HXNCLeNsjw8yPM:

That Voicing switch appears to juggle the cathode bypass components.....it can be seen to the right.

Fwiw, not only changing from one power tube type to another in an amp will change sound but even changing from say one 6V6 to another can change sound due to operating parameter differences between unmatched tubes.

Torren61 likes this.
  8. Syrinx

Syrinx Tele-Meister

Great amp- I like a 6l6 with a 12ax7 and 5u4 or the kt66 with 12ax7 and a gz34 Not a bad combination to be had really. Not my go to amp-but tones of fun- high quality and holds value well.

9. Wallaby

Wallaby Tele-Meister

All the Emery amps look like a LOT of interesting fun...

10. deus56

deus56 TDPRI Member

Echoing all the sentiments above, this amp is such great fun to play around with and
    only needing one power tube is very nice. It can get loud.
    For sh*ts and giggles picked up a 1943 U.S. NAVY Sylvania 274B to try in my Emery.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.