Emerson Pro pre-wiring kits

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Lefty Addams, Nov 19, 2019.

1. Lefty Addams

Lefty Addams Tele-Afflicted

Hi - thinking of various pre-wired kits for several partscasters, and wondering about people's opinions of Emerson Pro products. good reputation or otherwise?

thanks

2. dan40

dan40 Tele-Afflicted

They use quality CTS pots built to their specs.

Lefty Addams likes this.
  3. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Tele-Afflicted

They make some beautiful prewired harnesses. A little pricey, and once you install it you won't see it, but I think the value is there if you don't want to or can't wire it yourself.

I have to think that most wiring harnesses are designed to he cheap. Cheap pots, cheap caps, cheap wire. Emerson goes top quality. I like looking at their stuff when I wire my own to get ideas on how to make it look nice.

4. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire

Quality product. As brought up, pricey.

A few basic soldering skills will save you a lot of money.

Do you have a friend good with soldering?

5. Lefty Addams

No i don't have any friends with soldering skills : (

Thanks for the replies, I thought this was the case ie. pricey but good quality, so thats good.

6. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

If you can't solder, and you have the dough, sure. But IMO, if you're really into the guitar hobby, you're better off buying a basic wiring kit, and learning a new skill that will save you literally thousands of dollars in the long run. I don't even want to think about what I would have spent on my scores of guitar projects if I had paid for pre-wired kits and had techs do wiring for me, if I hadn't learned to do the work myself as a teenager.

OTOH, if you aren't that into it, and this will probably be one of the only instruments you ever need to wire up, I guess it makes sense to get a pre-wired harness and pay a tech to install it.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
    SnidelyWhiplash and Lefty Addams like this.
  7. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

.. and miss all the fun to be had modding and customising the electronics :)

I’d not be scared of learning to solder. There are new solder free pickup connectors now too.

The card template is what makes them look neat. Easily duplicated.

8. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Soldering isn't difficult. And there's very little that you can do that can't be fixed. Personally, I'd spend the cash on a good iron.

SnidelyWhiplash and Steve Holt like this.
  9. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Tele-Afflicted

The other thing to consider that I didn't mention is you'll still have to solder in whatever pickups you choose. So you'll have to pay someone to do that, or buy some stuff to do it yourself.

A few years ago I wouldn't touch the electronics in my guitars. Then I started building and had to figure something out. Fortunately I had a friend who was pretty good with the stuff so I had him wire the first one for me. I watched him do it, and he imparted a few tips and tricks (which everyone here would be more than happy to share their wisdom if you asked since you said you don't know anyone). I thought, well that's easy, I don't know what I was so afraid of. Just look at the diagram, connect one wire at a time and there you have it.

So I'd really recommend learning yourself. The money you'd spend on an Emerson kit, you can probably buy all the components plus a decent solder gun for the same price.

10. Lefty Addams

Yeah, fair enough. I may still do that. But as a novice, I will explore all avenues.

11. Gaz_

Gaz_ TDPRI Member

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/fender-t...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

This is what I bought. There's no soldering at all, and he will custom make it to your specs. I had specific pot sizes, and made so I could reverse the plate but (volume, tone then 5 way switch, neck at the front)

I can solder to a point, and I have wired guitars before. But for the price, and the options I could choose from, I can't recommend this enough.

Lefty Addams likes this.
  12. Tommyd55

Tommyd55 Tele-Meister

Personally I wouldn't buy anything from someone trying to sell me PIO (paper in oil) capacitors..

Nickfl and moosie like this.
  13. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

No snakes were harmed... :twisted::D

Tommyd55 likes this.
  14. wyclif

wyclif Tele-Afflicted

If anyone here wants to learn how to solder, I highly recommend watching this video from Collin's Lab at Adafruit Industries:

Lefty Addams likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.