1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Emergency Room of the future? What!!!!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by telefunken, Jan 6, 2014.

1. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire

We sort of have that, but it's not the ER. They call it Urgent Care (faster than a regular appointment).You call up and talk to a nurse. If it's not resolved (or the resolution is to come in), you get an appointement that day, and you go in.

The ER is for stuff that can't wait, or for when everyone else is home sleeping.

We've used urgent care several times. Haven't had to use the ER. Even the son's broken leg didn't go to the ER (not badly broken, and we weren't sure if it was the knee or the leg, etc.)

2. troy2003

troy2003 Friend of Leo's

In our town they've done away with urgent care. Now it is emergency room or an appointment that can take weeks. So naturally the er's are backed up now with what are for the most part,trivial things

3. beach bob

beach bob Friend of Leo's

They can stick a big pretty red bow on that warthog, but I'm not buying it.

Also, I am still not letting Johnny sit on our nice couch with that gunshot wound in his belly. You get the steel folding chair, Johnny.

4. flyingbanana

flyingbanana Poster Extraordinaire

Haha..."In before the premature release from the virtual ER." You're fine...go home, inject this anti venom every 3 hours and message us from the comfort of your cell phone. Please select "urgent message" if you feel like your leg needs amputating.

5. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

who is "they"?

6. Bones

No doubt, Home Depot will be selling a lot more plastic drop cloths and carpet cleaner.

7. metalicaster

metalicaster Tele-Afflicted

This could be useful for keeping non emergency "bed blockers" out of hospital I guess, but only a matter of time before someone sues because they were mistakenly told to stay home and their health suffers as a result.

Even with all the people turning up for cuts and aches, I was really impressed the last time I had to go "ER" (we call it casualty)

Had collapsed at work and was driven there by a friend, 10 minute wait for a nurse, who went and got a Doctor immediately
    Had an ECG test, and blood tests and got the all clear from all of them - told to make sure I get enough to drink etc and discharged.

Was in and out within 2 hours. -despite recent propaganda assuring us that you could die of starvation on a trolley before a doctor gets to see you... but thats another discussion we can't have here...

8. flyingbanana

Problem is with the mentality of the general population who have been trained and groomed to believe that they "need" to head to the local ER at the first sign of a life threatening cold or flu. Back when I was a kid, you had it, got better...end of story. Now people insist on being pumped full of things like antibiotics, which offer absolutely no help to someone with a cold or flu and just simply serve to make you more resistant the next time you have an issue for which antibiotics are actually necessary, like a bacterial infection.

9. metalicaster

metalicaster Tele-Afflicted

This.

Antibiotics do NOT have any effect on viral conditions like colds/flus, None. Zero. Not In any amount, they cannot kill viruses, at all.

Horses for courses, don't take antibiotics unless given them by a doctor...

10. Bones

Yup.

I haven't had an anti-biotic since 1972 when I had tonsillitis.

11. flyingbanana

Exactly.

12. dannew02

dannew02 Friend of Leo's

I work in an ER, you would not believe some of the crazy things people come in for. Apparently (in Minnesota anyway) you cannot be turned away for medical attention if you are brought in in an ambulance, so people routinely get brought in that way, and as soon as they are in the hospital they change their story (fake heart attack at home, once at hospital say "I need a VD test", etc. Or, they'll ride the ambulance to our facility because the clinic they really need is across the street but they didn't want to pay to park once they got here. Ugh.) I actually like the idea of "wait at home" ER care, since seemingly 75% of the people coming thru ours really could have waited the day or 2 to get into a normal Dr visit. There always is someone who legitimately needs ER attention though, you KNOW someone is going to die waiting, their family will sue and the program will get shut down.

13. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

I was surprised when I visited Thailand to learn that they sell antibiotics and opiates at the corner drugstore without a prescription. Self-diagnosis and self-medication seem to be the norm there, and it does NOT seem to work very well.

In fact, I'd be willing to bet that most antibiotic resistance in the world today is rooted in developing countries like this, and has little to do with antibacterial soap, antibiotics fed to livestock, or all the other things you hear about on televised "news-for-tainment" shows.

A day or two for a "normal Dr. visit" sounds awesome. If it worked like that everywhere, I bet a lot fewer people would panic and clog up the ER.

The possibility that someone could sue and shut down the program is not the problem. The problem is that someone could die waiting. :idea:

I think this could be a good thing IF implemented correctly (big IF), but it's more likely just another way to minimize doctor-patient face time and increase profits.

In my opinion, the problems started when the Hippocratic Oath was given a backseat to the quarterly earnings statement.

14. flyingbanana

Yep. Not understanding the whole point of it. I mean, we have urgent care facilities around here that have a 3 day waiting list. That's pretty hilarious.

15. piece of ash

piece of ash Friend of Leo's

...our humanitarian urge to defeat Darwin at every opportunity.

16. hopper

hopper Tele-Meister

It's good to know how you feel. Thanks for posting. :cry:

17. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

I have worked in ER/ED many times. Here's a vid a fellow RN played for me. Unfortunately there's a lot of truth to it.

I have seen this kind of behavior often. People without insurance visit an ED for primary care knowing that the ED cannot legally turn them away without an examination. Non insured people come in many catagories-many are good folks with chronic conditions that couldn't find insurance-but there are others who are there to play the system. These are repeat customers who know all the staff by name, know which physicians drive which cars (trying to increase their chances for a perscription), know which symptoms get them seen faster, know what meds to refuse... you would be amazed at some of the extensive allergy lists I've seen. But very few narcotics seem to make it on their lists.

It's a problem.

18. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

I agree.

Parkland is one of the worst hospitals in the United States. If I was actually sick and was unable to make decisions for myself, it's the last place on earth I'd want to be.

In my opinion, one of the biggest problems with Parkland is that anyone who comes through the door with pain is immediately suspected of being a junky trying to game the system, and not a genuine patient.

The staff are taught to see patients as adversaries. If you work there long enough, you become numb to it...

Anyway, most Americans agree that the system is broken, we just can't agree on how to fix it. I wish I knew someplace on the Internet where we could go to discuss this like rational adults.

19. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

I can certainly see how one could feel this way. But honestly, most get into healthcare because they genuinely want to help folks. You couldn't pay enough for some of the things we end up doing. But after 30 years there's a phenomenon I've noticed along the lines of emotional fatigue. I see it most acutely in ED personnel, psychiatric healthcare workers and police officers. The behavior of the less than 10% of the population that constitute more than 90% of your daily workload soon lead you to believe that everybody is like this and yes, many become numb and hardened emotionally.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.