1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Emerald Ash Borer Threatens 8 Billion Trees

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by SpiderWeb, Aug 27, 2011.

1. SpiderWeb

SpiderWeb Friend of Leo's

2. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I just want to discourage anyone who is considering trying to salvage infested timber.

Not just for guitars; for furniture, and especially firewood.

This bug actually kills the trees dead, as opposed to the Chestnuts that try to come back and die back at around 20 feet in height. We will fix the Chestnut issue, and the Elm one. But this ash borer could render its target species utterly extinct.

3. SpiderWeb

SpiderWeb Friend of Leo's

Yeah, when I listened to the story the situation seemed pretty dire...

4. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Lodge pole pines on the West Coast are also being destroyed by a pine bark beetle.

5. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze Tele-Holic

And Balsam and Fraser Firs by the Balsam Wooly Adelgid.

6. Joe Sailor

Joe Sailor Tele-Afflicted

Boris, why discourage the use of the dead trees? Here the pine beetle kill that Colt referred to is legally harvested, milled and sold for fences, floors, furniture, etc.
    I actually just glued up some for my first tele. Is there something I am not understanding?

7. Colt W. Knight

So you don't transport the bugs and make the problem worse. When I lived in Wyoming the wood was harvested, but they discouraged and warned individuals about harvesting the wood and bringing it back to town.

8. oldsoultroy

oldsoultroy Tele-Meister

Colt. Where I live in Michigan, the emerald ash borer has taken most of our mammoth (and small) ash tree's. It is sad, sad and well sad. Everywhere you look they are being chainsawed up out of family yards where they have stood for many many and being used for firewood. Dead standing is how you'll find em round here, by the millions. If something comes and takes anymore species around here, it's gonna be the apocolypse for these tree apreciating eyes.

9. Joe Sailor

Joe Sailor Tele-Afflicted

Of course you're right. I misread Boris' post, he said "salvage." Interesting forestry dilemma, would not want to create a demand for such material, once the bark is stripped the pine the beetles are gone. Wonder where the bark is stripped and how. Leave the trees in the forest? Not sure about the transport of other species.
    Michigan, unfortunately, also has zebra mussels which are very hard to manage.

10. Colt W. Knight

Ive seen hundreds of acres of lodge pole pine destroyed from beetles. It sucks! Creates a huge fire hazzard as well. All that firewood laying down over huge expanses of land. A single lightning strike can create a huge fire.

11. Colt W. Knight

A lot of those pine stands were being harvested before they died because of the fire hazard. It also increased the supply, and the demand fell. So lumber companies have to work when mills are buying. So, yes, it is quite the quandary.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.