Embarrassing confession - No disrespect. (Prince content)

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Obsessed, Apr 26, 2016.

1. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm a 60 year old rock 'n roller turned blues player. I turned the radio off about 1979 and it really didn't get back on until White Stripes became well known. I never had or watched MTV during my busy career days and mega training for endurance athletic events during that era.

That said, I don't know any Prince music and for that matter Michael Jackson either. I can't even tell you a Brad Paisley song for I don't listen to country, pop, or jazz. My wife knows every MJ and Prince song (I met her in the late 90s). In the 60's, she was a Beatles fan, I was a Stones fan. I hear and read about all of the influence that Prince made, but I am totally naive about his stuff. Purple Rain? Don't know it. Don't know if I ever heard it. As I have been listening to his music the last few days, I sense the "Minnesota sound", but that's it. I get it that he is "great" and Bruce Springsteen opened a concert the other night with a tribute to Prince (I only know "Born in the USA by Bruce).

Call me sheltered or narrow minded, but don't flame me, just give me some bluesy non pop tunes of his that might teach me what he was all about. I think I have something to learn here.

Thanks.

2. PaisleyAddict

PaisleyAddict Tele-Meister

listen to everything he did up until about the 90s, and i do mean all of it. purple rain, 1999, sign o' the times, even the batman soundtrack. all of it. listen to it and get funky.

3. FenderGyrl

FenderGyrl Friend of Leo's

BorderRadio, tery, Shango66 and 2 others like this.
  4. Obsessed

Thanks PaisleyAddict, this is basically what my wife said too. I just can't seem to jump in on his stuff and need some pointers for where to start.

5. johnnyha

johnnyha Tele-Afflicted

Wow thanks FenderGyrl I had not seen that one and I was hoping to see another good one demonstrating his amazing chops.

6. FenderGyrl

FenderGyrl Friend of Leo's

Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
    brookdalebill and Obsessed like this.
  7. Obsessed

Wow. Now, we're are talkin'. Thanks FenderGyrl. This is my kind of language.

8. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

wlewisiii likes this.
  9. Obsessed

Ahh, now that is starting to sound a little more original. Thanks again FG.

10. Obsessed

Okay, now we are getting somewhere. This sounds eerily familiar style wise. Without mentioning the other artist (because I can't think of it offhand), is this Prince's influence or visa versa?

11. adamsappel

adamsappel Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

If there is a silver, er, purple lining to this, it's that we are finally getting to see some of these incredible performances. I hope his estate doesn't take these down, and starts to release the huge backlog of his vault.

Obsessed likes this.
  12. Obsessed

I'm digging, "The Truth".

13. TelePhartz

TelePhartz Friend of Leo's

The whole Lotus Flower album has a ton of guitar on it but here's a hightlight.

If you can handle some serious funk listen to the album from the 90s with the unpronounceble symbol on it. Litererally tons of funk and bad ass horn lines and that sorta stuff.

And I'm even older than you, punk. :D

songtalk likes this.
  14. Obsessed

Is that Rhonda Smith playing bass for Prince?! I saw her with Jeff Beck last summer touring with ZZ Top. Hmmm, the Crimson and Clover mashable was very good and no doubt a great example of how good of a guitar player he is, but I was sort of looking for originals of his. Seems like most of the examples so far are modified covers. That weirdo logo album looks interesting, but I could barely get through the first minute of the first song. Too much pop for this old blues guy I guess.

Still likin', "The Truth". C'mon, I must be missing something here.

15. Shanewilliams

Shanewilliams TDPRI Member

Here is the thing. Prince was a pop artist and didn't adhere to any one genre. He had a style all his own. Trying to find prince blues tracks is pointless and kind of a waste of time.

If you don't know what a Linn Drum or Oberheim synth is, he may not be for you (and that's fine). If you don't think it's badass that he played at the vmas with his booty hanging out or that he was grinding on the floor, with a perm, screaming like James Brown, and shirtless during the double bass drum outro of "Darling Nikki" in the Purple Rain movie, he may not be for you. If you don't like shredding liquid metal guitar solos with flanger AND chorus, he may not be for you. If spelling Nothing Compares To You, "Nothing Compares 2 u" bothers you, he may not be for you (again, that's cool)

It sounds like you like old roots music, white les paul blues, classic rock. There are tons of artists that do that better than him.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
    src9000, rambleon, songtalk and 2 others like this.
  16. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

+1000

This GENIUS was NOT a blues artist and that's a GOOD thing in my book.

He was FUNKY as funky anybody (but James Brown) can be.

Shanewilliams and songtalk like this.
  17. PaisleyAddict

PaisleyAddict Tele-Meister

the beginning is always a good place to start, especially in this case.

but prince wasn't a blues artist, and if you're trying to find a bunch of blues music, you're not going to find much. prince was about funk and pop with a side of rock. you have to broaden your horizons a little if you honestly want to listen to some prince.

Shanewilliams, songtalk and Obsessed like this.
  18. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Brilliant guitarist on "While my........ Weeps"- other than that he doesn't do a thing for me. That's called freedom of choice. The same could be said about artists/ lots of forms of arts etc.
    For those of you and many who really like his music/style whatever - fine.

19. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

The thing is, unless you spend almost your whole life listening to popular music there are going to be artists, sometimes very famous ones, who pass you by.

I never got Prince, and I don't feel the need to go back and listen now. But I get that sometimes, sad and ironic as it is, sometimes an artist's death is the trigger that helps us discover them.

There are times when an artist dies and the tributes start to pour out that I just think, "really? Really?" (Fortunately I just think it and don't say it until a respectable amount of time has passed.)

But it's a big world out there. There's music for everyone. You don't have to feel left out or ignorant or that you're missing something you should know, because you didn't dig this or that pop star.

Prince meant nothing to me. But his music clearly touched a lot of people deeply. And I understand that - because I know how it feels.

Obsessed, Tinribs and sjruvolo like this.
  20. darkwaters

darkwaters Tele-Afflicted

Not to worry. Prince was one incredible guitarist. Perhaps the best post-70s pop/rock guitarist. Nonetheless I've never owned a single album.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.