Embarrassed much?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TimmyM, Apr 10, 2020.

1. TimmyM

TimmyM Tele-Meister

Okay, so we’re all friends here. Does anyone listen to, or play music that you would be embarrassed for others to find out about? Because I was raised around so much music, by most accounts, I have pretty eclectic taste. Embarrassed is perhaps not the best term to use, but at the same time I was listening to KISS, I loved the Temptations. In high school, while I was playing UFO, Thin Lizzy and other hard rock, I was listening to punk and new wave on my own. When I was playing in a hair metal band in 1987, I was listening to Keith Whitley and flat picking bluegrass in the privacy of my own home. The other embarrassing thing about me during my “playing days” was that I have always had a real job, I am a Structural Engineer and have been employed by the same firm since 1985. Due to this, while I was playing with a bunch of long-haired guys, I was always pretty clean cut and I stood out like Rick Nielsen of Cheap Trick, Graham Bonnett of Rainbow. I was sort of like the new wave kid in the metal band, but it worked at the time. To this day I listen to anything from 1920’s jazz up to modern pop and modern country, my only true dislikes are disco, rap and not really into funk.

2. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

so, you're asking "any guilty pleasures?" aren't ya.

I'm less embarassed now, or fon't give a duck what somebody else thinks.
    Karen Carpenter had a pretty good voice and the productions were rather, "produced".
    But that's similar to what I like from Jeff Lynn, either as a Wilbury or ELO product.
    No idea who is doing "current" production and don't really care, unless it's a couple of girls from Georgia who look like they're having fun, and "production" is pretty spare - live and on the tube of You.

Somebody else?

Peace - Deeve

3. Downshift

Downshift Tele-Holic

There was a time in my life where I hated just about everything except what was in my very narrow window.

But now I like all sorts of stuff.

I like Katy Perry and Lady Gaga, Miles Davis and Julian Lage, Marty Stuart and Buck Owens, Roy Buchanan and Mike Bloomfield, The Black Crowes and Pearl Jam, Hot Rize and New Grass Revival, Norah Jones and Alanis Morrisette, The Cars and The Cure, Loretta Lynn and Janis Joplin...

8barlouie, GibbyTwin, idjster and 5 others like this.
  4. Gardo

Gardo Tele-Holic

If I happen to be home Saturday at 7:00 it’s the Lawrence Welk Show.

5. E-miel

E-miel Tele-Meister

The most out of line with my overall music taste would be hardstyle, bigroom house and everything in between. Guys like Showtek (earlier and new stuff), Hardwell and W&W. Not really ashamed of it, but my friends don't expect it cause they know me as a guitar music guy. But that is also very wide, from Tommy Emmannual to Mark knopfler to Joe Bonamassa to Muse to Metallica to System of a Down and everything in between or surrounding it.

Maybe the best answer is the Bloodhound Gang. But more because people look at me like "What the heck is he singing?!". But man, awesome music!

GibbyTwin likes this.
  6. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Alright, among friends and family here and between you and me ... within the deep perils of my favorites in the early mid 70s with Black Sabbath, Led Zep, Foghat, Montrose and Blue Oyster Cult ... I did a little disco.

Deathray, bftfender, Jerry J and 2 others like this.
  7. Togman

Togman Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Back in the '70s I used to like The Osmond's. Guys were not supposed to like The Osmond's!

8. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

Hannah Montana :oops:

9. Fretting out

Fretting out Friend of Leo's

I’ve been known to listen to cyndi lauper from time to time.
    Also some New wave

I like 80’s to early 2000’s hip hop/rap also

10. Jmwright777

Jmwright777 TDPRI Member

I'm right there with ya in the eclectic taste in music. It all depends on what I'm feeling at the moment. Some of my favorite bands/artists are some people you would definitely not see jamming anytime soon.

Periphery, Jason Richardson, Lamb of God, Children of Bodem, Eric Clapton, Steve Vai, Dream Theater, As I Lay Dying, Keith Urban, Kenny Chesney, Brad Paisley, Architects, Zack Wylde, Deadmau5, Avicci, MGK, G-Easy, Eminem, Logic, Swedish House Mafia, Skrillex, Basshead, Abba, Bella Fleck and the Fleckstones, Viktor Wooten, Plini, Nick Johnston, To The Ark, Steel Panther.....and the list goes on. I am an equal opportunist when it comes to music. If it sounds good to my ears then I like it.

11. WingedWords

WingedWords Tele-Afflicted

I like "My Fair Lady". There. I've said it. I feel better now.

And the Monkees, but I think that's allowed.

SuprHtr and rangercaster like this.
  12. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's

My guilty pleasures include the Bee Gees up to about 1980 (their live album, from just before Saturday Night Fever kicked them up a level of popularity, was one of the first records I ever bought) and Evita... I can’t stand most Andrew Lloyd Webber, but I like both the Madonna / Antonio Banderas film and the original LP. And I like Variations too... hmmm, maybe I shouldn’t be telling people this..!

13. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

I like one kind of music...good music.

Nothing I listen to would be embarrassing to me...but it might be surprising to others who think they have me “pegged” in a particular pigeonhole.

I’m embarrassed for people who can’t just be themselves and enjoy the things they enjoy.

wrvond and Peltogyne like this.
  14. Tezuka27

Tezuka27 Tele-Holic

Something tells me this may be in the wrong forum. Then again, what do I know?

jb

15. Peltogyne

Peltogyne Tele-Afflicted

Absolutely, some of that stuff is brilliant. I don't really care they all auditioned to join a band. The song Mary Mary was my stepping stone to bands like Tool & Clutch.

WingedWords and DLReed like this.
  16. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Does anyone like food they would be embarrassed about? I mean, I like a good steak, and potato... but i can handle a quiche. Scalding hot Chili can be yummy, but a nice round of Sushi is too..

point.. having eclectic taste is perfectly OK, if it wasn't then we wouldn't have the word eclectic would we?? :p

rk

17. stormsedge

stormsedge Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Nope. I do what I do and grant others permission to not like or understand it.

Bassman8 and SuprHtr like this.
  18. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

thaaaaaat is embarassing? , oh oh , you do suffer so and for these?those?
    poor dear, make a nice cup of tea, a warm shower and two aspirin.

19. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

Embarrassed, no.

20. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I don't give two squats about what others think of my playlist. If they complain, I turn it up and they take their complaints with them when they go. Works onstage with hecklers, too.

rangercaster likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.