1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Embarassement of Mesa Boogie Riches - What does "Rectifier" mean WRT guitar amps?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Ronetele, Mar 5, 2017.

1. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Model names *are* marketing terms! I spent decades in marketing.

2. seekir

seekir Tele-Holic

Agreed. However, I think ebb soul does have a point. An excess of signal processing can conceivably be detrimental to the life of the sound that eventually reaches the ear. Many guitarists like to eliminate tone pots from their guitar's signal path for just this reason.

Also, finding the "sweet spot" (or spots) with a complex amp's processors can be a pilgrimage that never reaches the destination. I bought an SS Indonesian Fender Bassman for my bass, and after considerable manual study, I still don't understand how to best set knobs like "room balance" and "contour," or exactly how they're affecting the tone. They seem a bit redundant in light of the fact that the amp also has a tone "stack." (Naming conventions vary, and a pot that controls a common circuit can be labelled with several alternatives that may or may not be intuitive.) There's also a pot for the horn level on the back of this bass amp. I suspect many of us are shooting in the dark and depend on luck to get things set right with knob-studded amps like these.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
  3. Southpole

Southpole Tele-Holic

Hmmm, I wonder what is the simplest Mesa amp ever made?

4. mRtINY

mRtINY Friend of Leo's

I have one of those in head format. Yes, they overlap. It's not a recording amp - it's a working musicians' tool.

The sweet-spot depends on the room you're in, the band you're playing with, and your preferences....

If you can't handle these kind of choices, get something simpler like a DI box.

5. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

That would be the Satellite combos produced in the '90s. They were meant to be slaved to another amp.

Southpole likes this.
  6. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

Unless when all the knobs work perfectly & effectively, & when that amp is really like having 2, 3 4 or 6 amps in a box

On a side note, ever since the Mesa Lone Star; which was the amp where Mesa nailed a different - yet glorious clean tone (more mid scooped, more fendery) - this company is putting out tremndous multi channels amps

THe Mini Mark V is simply a miracle. Come to my music room & I could easily convince you , against a dozen of vintage & boutique amps

RevBillyG likes this.
  7. Southpole

Southpole Tele-Holic

The original Mark I would have been relatively simple I imagine.

The 4 channel Road King twin combo must be one of the most epic combos ever! Haven't seen one for a while though.

8. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I bought my Mark V not too long after they were introduced in 2009, so I've had time to get to know it. Believe it or not, the amp is laid out so well that I can make any adjustments in the dark, just by feel alone, and know exactly which knob or switch I'm touching. Familiarity reduces complexity.

AxemanVR and Southpole like this.
  9. homesick345

same applies to the Mini mark V - which I do adjust on stage in almost total darkness

RevBillyG and Frodebro like this.
  10. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

How many popular, simple amps have gain, TMB, master and presence? Loads of em. inc. fender. Most modern mesas are simple at the core.

The marks Vs, roadkings and rectifiers just duplicate the controls on different channels. It's not rocket science to work out, it's completely logical and very useful. Why have pedals for duplicating the low gain and high gain characteristics of an amp if a real tube amp can do it.

So boogie give you two or three simple amps in one and that saves carting a load of pedals or other amps to gigs.

The irony is that there are probably loads of 'simple tube amp' cork sniffers who then pre-process their tone through myriad tone sucking digital and analogue pedals, buffers and cables because their stock sound is limited and boring. Reduced to a pedal platform.

11. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

Just read up on the the mini V, now I want it… would have to be classic wicker front though.

12. homesick345

check the couple extensive reviews in my post history

13. seekir

seekir Tele-Holic

Well yes, dimwits like me should surrender to their limitations. Some of this comes down to manual writing and knob labelling. Oddly, my Mesa F-50, though it has some cool extras few "consumer" amps sport, is quite straightforward and laid out in an intuitive way that isn't confusing at all (also—it's red):

Mesa&Strat2.jpg

On the other hand, though I can make it work, this thing remains an enigma:

BassmanPanel.jpg

AxemanVR, telemnemonics and Southpole like this.
  14. mRtINY

mRtINY Friend of Leo's

You had me until the last paragraph... There are times when a wah, vibe, or flanger are called for.

I think this is why most modern amps have an effects loop: You can get your pre-amp dirt from the amp and still use some other effects when needed.

I still haven't played an amp that did an effective fuzz tone from the pre-amp....

AxemanVR likes this.
  15. mRtINY

mRtINY Friend of Leo's

It's not a matter of being a dimwit... Sometimes you have more to worry about and tailoring the bass balance in the house isn't something you have time for.

The DI box puts all the voicing in the hands of the FOH (and monitor) engineer.

16. seekir

seekir Tele-Holic

He's in a better position to hear the mix. You have noticed that the Bassman 250 has a "line out"/DI?

mRtINY likes this.
  17. IronSchef

IronSchef Tele-Afflicted

I would love a mesa amp (I bought one for my first ex wife a couple of decades ago that she swiped) - they are SO pricey though...

I found a used Mesa "Throttlebox" pedal, and when I run that through the front on my SuperChamp X2 Clean channel ... gets me right where I need to be for "that" sound!!

Southpole likes this.
  18. Revv23

Revv23 Friend of Leo's

Mesa's are super underrated. A mark2C is something id like to have some day.

Really versatile amps. I understand the concern about all the knobs, the level of control they have can be off putting to many because you have to spend some more time carving out a sound you like Vs a more traditional amp with less adjustment is already dialed in.

19. mRtINY

mRtINY Friend of Leo's

absolutely - if you have one....

20. Southpole

Southpole Tele-Holic

Dial in your sound, take a photo of your control settings- or someone else's if you like their sound better!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.