1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Embarassement of Mesa Boogie Riches - What does "Rectifier" mean WRT guitar amps?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Ronetele, Mar 5, 2017.

1. Steve 78

Steve 78 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Have a good play around with the switches for 10 watt/25 watt mode and vintage/modern mode. The wattage switch changes the overall sound, not just the volume level (this is by design), so there are quite a few basic sounds the amp can produce without touching the EQ. I bought mine because I wanted to get a modern metal/rock sound but still with a bit of raw edge to it. Mesa does this really well.

3-Chord-Genius likes this.
  2. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

This is one of those odd cases whereby the amp is named after something not responsible for its legendary tone. These amps are known for their aggressive cascading gain structure - the fact that it has selectable rectifiers has no impact on this. It would be like naming the JCM800 the "Red Power Indicator" amp.

songtalk likes this.
  3. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

I've always wondered how the get switchable rectifiers to work right. Going from a tube to solid state rectifier changes voltage. Going from one tube rectifier to another changes voltage. Changing voltage changes bias so it'd have to be set for some happy spot that works for every available voltage.
    But Mesa's are like that anyway I suppose.

4. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

I admit to knowing nothing about Mesa amps. Never played one. So let's talk about their intended use and maybe design? So a tube rectifier sags, unable to keep up with tight staccato picking, with a cranked up tube amp. Too much b+ voltage needed to keep the notes tight and sharp sounding. Amp may bloom or sag a bit. So do you consider adding another rectifier? Or maybe 2 more rectifiers to supply a steady b+ voltage? Plenty voltage on tap now for high gain, fast response, staccato style metal music? Is this why a Mesa may have 3 rectifiers?

5. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

So an amp with 3 knobs is an amp that's limited in function, for someone like you, who is limited in function.
    Honestly.
    (Picks up mic and shoves it up ebb soul's arse)

After having way too much fun shutting you down with such ease, it should be explained that an amp with a lot of knobs could be for a person who knows what he/she wants, and that would be tonal flexibility. Get over yourself.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
  6. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

I had a Mesa Maverick a long time ago. Great amp, was in the "Dual rectifier" series. While I kept it on the tube rectifier setting, I too didn't think switching to SS made that big of a tonal difference.

Sandhill69 likes this.
  7. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

I have not played a Dual Rectifier amp but have talked to folks who own them, they said they have a great clean channel, and are versatile, not just for metal, though they have plenty of gain IF that is what you want.
    I've had a couple amps with tube or SS rectifier options, tube is softer sags, SS is tighter , the higher power Fender amps had SS rectifiers, Twins Showman, lower watt amps had tube, Bassman, Deluxe etc...

There is a Mesa forum, you can find a LOT more info there than here I'm sure.

Some folks are happy with an Esquire and a Champ with just a volume control, and that's cool, but there is nothing wrong with having more options in an amp, IF that is what you want, or in your case, what you got, great price on the amp too by the way!
    What happens when the BF comes back around looking for his amp?

8. Greenmachine

Greenmachine Tele-Holic

Man I'd have a boogie if I could. Why not? Play me some chugga chunk chunk.

9. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

the best amp made today, bar none , imho, is the Mesa Mini Mark V:25

Knobs or no knobs

I honestly think this, & can humbly attest that I own all sort of vintage & boutique amps.

dburns and Sandhill69 like this.
  10. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

It depends what kind of music you play. For heavier music a 3-band eq and master volume is invaluable.

11. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

A friend of mine who ran his own small studio would always call them rectum fryers, and it never failed to make me laugh.
    In regards to what others have said about Mesa's cleans, I totally agree -- they can produce some lovely pristine clean tones. Just listen to Andy Timmons' rig, or a few of his demos on the Mesa webpage. I've always liked Mesa amps, although the rectifier line is not my cup of tone.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
  12. LoveHz

LoveHz Tele-Holic

I'd have a 4x10 Blue Angel or 2x12 Maverick if I thought I'd be able to lift 'em off the floor.

13. mRtINY

mRtINY Friend of Leo's

I see you spare no expense on amps, except when it comes to a place to put them....

14. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

That's a temporary solution, I'm going to be building a shelving unit for them that matches the recording desk I recently finished when time permits.

IMG_1200.jpg

mRtINY likes this.
  15. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

If a person doesn't want a complex amp, they should not play one. If a person wants versatility in one box, then complexity is demanded. One knob or twenty...neither is wrong/bad or correct/good....they just are. IMHO...and ime...
    Rectification.....there is a definite sonic difference between solid state rectification and tube rectification. If one does not notice that difference in an amp that offers the option, then ime that person is not really listening and feeling the amp's reaction to the signal input.
    Or....take the two tube rectification circuits as in the Fender 5E8A Tweed Twin that Keith points to. If you pull one of those rectifiers, the amp's response changes due to the change in the voltage supply and its ability to keep up with the demands of the circuit and signal input. Leo was trying to stiffen up the power supply in order to stiffen up the sonics. When the GZ34 was introduced, he was able to go to a single rectifier tube. And...then he went to solid state rectification in the 6G era for the big amps...bigger, louder, stiffer....what Leo was always looking for. The pinnacle of that for him with Fender was the Twin Reverb and the showman/Dual Showman amps.

boredguy6060 and MilwMark like this.
  16. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

I had a Boogie endorsement for a few years back in the early 2000s. IIRC I ran KT-66s in my Rectifier and I loved it - even for its clean tones.

Very underrated amplifier that is loved for its high gain but can excel at many things you wouldn't expect.

I think I still have a couple of them.

17. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Don't get me wrong about the marketing hype, I do appreciate Mesa amps and have always admired the chance to play one. They're the first ones I ever noticed that had a gain knob on the clean channel and not just on the lead channel.

18. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Model designation.
    Not counting the mini, my impression is that they have one 5u4 tube for each pair of power tubes, so "dual rectifier" means 100w and "triple rectifier" means 150w.
    One might then guess that they all sag the same when switched to tube, and it makes sense if you want a big amp with tube rectifier, since a 100w amp would have trouble getting enough current through even one gz34. Though two 5u4 might not beat one gz34?
    One of the Fender low power Twins had dual rectifiers to try to get more punch, maybe that was before the gz34 tube appeared?
    Strange seeing four big tubes in a 40w amp.

Mesa seems to get more watts out of a given tube than all other manufacturers though, like the little MKV 25 gets 25w out of a pair of el84 power tubes.
    Maybe they measure wattage at 20% THD or some such thing.
    IDK if they call a dual rectifier a 100w amp, but it oughta be.

I'm not sure why Mesa felt a need to run a 5u4 to tailor the transient response of their amps, given that they have made their name tailoring transient response- attack and sustain- with knobs to dial it up to your taste; for like 40 years.
    They're really good at it by now.

So my guess is that it was a model name with a double meaning, kind of a gizmo concept that made them a little more cool.
    Check out the tube they chose, it's the funny giant coke bottle version that looks like it's from the 1940s. Actually they may not all come with the cool antique looking tubes, and I think they look dumb in a modern amp anyhow.
    Then take a look in the back of a Triple rectifier and marvel at the six power tubes and three rectifier tubes, those NINE big bottles must mean business.
    Mesa must put at least that many preamp tubes round back as well?
    Course, four KT88s and no rectifier tubes would melt down such a decorative tube display and then grind it into dust.
    I mean nine tubes in the power section for only 150 watts?
    Marketing, and successful marketing at that.

Without the rectifier series they might still be a niche amp builder, either you love Boogies or you hate them...
    Can't complain all that much about a product that sells and works.

RevBillyG likes this.
  19. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

As far as Mesa amps go it's just a marketing term for their tube amps that have one or more tube rectifiers. The technology is not fundamentally different from anybody else's.

MilwMark likes this.
  20. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

It's not a marketing term, it's a model name that now encompasses a series of amps. My Mark V and Stiletto Deuce both have rectifier tubes in them (and diode rectifier circuits as well), but that doesn't make them "Rectifiers".

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.