1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

email exchange with warmoth

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by chucker, Mar 4, 2021.

1. chucker

chucker TDPRI Member

my issue was keeping neck weight down. spike at warmoth advised using light weight tuners, and not opting for the modern truss rod which adds 4 oz. to a neck. he recommended the vintage/modern. i really like the modern truss rod engineering but there are situations where the weight is an issue.
    glad i asked as i had no idea.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  2. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

I had a few Warmoth necks a couple years ago. I bought some with the side adjust truss rod because they were in their "ready to buy" shop. I didn't like that truss rod because it seemed to need adjusting more often and you have to be careful how you do it. And one thing I noticed while handling the necks is yes that side adjust dual rod is noticeably heavier! At first I thought it was my imagination but then I put one neck in one hand and the other in the other hand and did some guessing. Definitely heavy!

pdmartin likes this.
  3. ucnick

ucnick Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

Hipshot locking open tuners are pretty light, they helped me with reducing neck dive...

4. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah. I like the convenience of a headstock adjust modern double-acting rod, but I like the weight and weight distribution of a vintage heel-adjust neck. My necks tend toward the thicker side and I don't have to adjust them much, so it's not a big deal.

5. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

I've bought a lot of Warmoth necks, and I always find that the "pro" construction necks don't tend to stick around. It's a solution in search of a problem and you end up with too much metal inside the neck. And the side adjust is clever and convenient - but kinda ugly and out of place imhop.

Nightclub Dwight likes this.
  6. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Hardware matters.

The hardware you choose is a lot like everything you carry with you when hiking: ounces matter because a few extra ones here and there add up to pounds. Do you really need a 1.5-lb Bowie knife and a hatchet? You have to carefully choose what you'll take with you to make things as easy as possible on a long trip.

I know I'm a nut, but I like the Gotoh side-adjust rod. I set and forget; they work great for me.

FenderLover and Ron C like this.
  7. Ron C

Ron C Tele-Holic

Yep, hardware definitely matters if you’re working with a light body. Vintage tuners, single action truss rod, skip the dense exotic neck woods. Roasted maple shaves some weight too. Next put on a heavy bridge and heavy knobs, and then maybe the super light body that was so exciting to buy won’t do the neck dive dance.

8. Drak

Drak Tele-Holic

I discovered they (Warmoth) made a great YT on explaining and showing that damn double-rod.
    I have multiple Warmoths of both kinds.
    It really does add some appreciable weight, there really is a difference.
    So I generally don't use them on any 'super-light' builds.
    Beyond that, I don't really care one way or the other.

But when you SEE what's inside...it explains a lot.

9. Loudog99

Loudog99 Tele-Holic

I just got a vintage modern with the single action truss rod and neck adjustment. Feels much lighter in hand than a modern neck I recently worked on. Great workmanship too, which will require very little fretwork.

10. pinchegil

pinchegil Tele-Meister Platinum Supporter

Bigsby = no neck dive :)

gerhard_k likes this.
  11. takauya

takauya Tele-Meister

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.