1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Elvis vs Declan Patrick Aloysius Macmanus

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by blowtorch, Mar 1, 2021.

1. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Afflicted

Since when are you one to care what critics think, one way or the other? :twisted:

2. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm not, I'm asking who it was that said that.
    I figured since we know everything here, someone would chime in with the answer:)

Martian likes this.
  3. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

I think it was David Lee Roth.

4. buster poser

buster poser Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

For me? Costello all day. Songwriter, guitar player, entertainer... miles ahead imo. And key for me, he hasn't made a career out of grooming underage girls. Just ick.

On the songs that made them famous, at least Nick's credited (and though I think his cover is better, I wouldn't even put that one in my Costello top ten). Presley unashamedly ripped off an entire genre, and Hound Dog and Blue Suede Shoes are better done by the original/other artists in my opinion.

I do love Presley, rockabilly, and all the 50s stuff he made cool, but it was a five year window really (53-58). The overwhelming majority of his short life and career were spent being mediocre, progressing to the overweight, drug-addled parody of himself at the end, but he was always trying to reclaim the brief flash of brilliance at the beginning.

'68 Comeback Special is great, but it wasn't really a comeback and it was only good because he was doing the old stuff after nearly a decade of dopey movies and very few good songs. Presley is a great cautionary tale, maybe the world's first real pop superstar, but Declan has been consistently amazing nearly my entire life.

5. buster poser

Truly, Declan's had the name longer now than Presley did (44 years).

farmcaster, stepvan and Fuelish like this.
  6. loopfinding

loopfinding Friend of Leo's

Cultural impact aside, Elvis Presley was a pretty decent artist from that whole sun set, with one of the genre’s defining guitarists to boot. Elvis Costello was this neither indie nor mainstream thing that was like the most middle of the road inoffensive stylistic choice of that era.

Fendereedo and Mike M like this.
  7. Mike M

Mike M Tele-Holic

"Presley unashamedly ripped off an entire genre" ?

You could argue he was instrumental in creating a genre, or two.

The Sun Sessions are not exactly R & B, not country, but something completely different. Its really the invention of Rockabilly, and it changed everything from Buddy Holly to the Beatles, and everything that came after.

Plus in his prime, no one was sexier or more dangerous. From Sun, through his first two albums, nearly everything is near perfection in my book.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
  8. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Tele-Afflicted

Long live the king. The king is undisputed. Written, performed and produced by the king.

Mike M likes this.
  9. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

In non-musical situations he goes by 'Dec.'

- D

Mike M likes this.
  10. ale.istotle

ale.istotle Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

DPAM for me.

buster poser likes this.
  11. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

That was David Lee Roth.

- D

12. buster poser

I know my music history and I love rockabilly, but to me, Elvis's obviously massive impact was due primarily to his Adonis good-looks and cultural transgressive-ness in a new mass-media era where those were capital. Sam, Scotty Moore, Carl Perkins, Cash, those are the guys who created rockabilly to me.

On the other hand, I could also play devil's advocate about Costello and point out what he's said himself, that he basically writes songs and tries to ape a given style, something like a sampler but without directly stealing riffs/chords/sounds.

Still... I grew up hearing a lot of Presley and Sun (mom and her sis were big fans), and Presley's got a five year period of stuff I like. The other guy is in his fifth decade of it. I would never make the case that Costello's had bigger impact, but given the paucity in quality of the gross majority of his recordings, I really think too much is made of Presley.

13. Mike M

Mike M Tele-Holic

I pretty much agree with everything you say, and what happened to Presley, and what he became is tragic. I just think his influence to music, rock, and popular culture is uncalculatable. He's the Pan American Flash that starts it all.

StrangerNY likes this.
  14. jamesepowell

jamesepowell Tele-Holic

Agree completely. And, contra the OP, I think this is the great song he is most known for

15. bsman

bsman Friend of Leo's

Then may we assume that you also have no room for Clapton in your pantheon?

blowtorch and StrangerNY like this.
  16. Mike M

Mike M Tele-Holic

The Clapton incident seems to bother me more.

I really think Costello and crew where just trying to screw with Stills and his gang, and were just pushing buttons to freak them out. Just my sense of it

drlucky likes this.
  17. jamesepowell

jamesepowell Tele-Holic

The first person I know of who said that is you, just now.

I vaguely remember someone writing something similar about Bruce Springsteen back in the early days.

18. BrazHog

BrazHog Tele-Meister

I was always into rock n' roll, but back in the old country it was hard and/or expensive to find material by both Elvises.

Later on, I think I got the Sun Sessions CD, but never got into it too much. On the other hand, the critic's accolades showered on that Aloysius guy are of the type that makes me think, better give this guy's oeuvre a wide berth. I don't think I have actually listened to any of his songs! :lol:

(I did like the original version of PL&U by Brinsley Schwartz, at least I think that's the original one?)

buster poser likes this.
  19. BrazHog

BrazHog Tele-Meister

Martian and buster poser like this.
  20. buster poser

Absolutely. He really changed TV, stardom, music, and movies... and all sort of at once. I can't even conceive of what that must've been like some ten years before the Beatles. Had anyone ever been that famous? His flash may've been brief, but it was a supernova, and we definitely divide epochs into "before Elvis"/"after Elvis."

blowtorch, drlucky and Mike M like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.