1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Elvis vs Declan Patrick Aloysius Macmanus

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by blowtorch, Mar 1, 2021.

1. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

you know, everyone says "The King" couldn't write a song, and maybe that's true.
    He seemed to do okay without having songwriting skills ;)
    But the great song that "costello" guy is most known for was written by THIS guy:
    (helped out here by Los Straitjackets)

anyway yeah. Elvis gets my vote.
    The real one :cool:

2. TeleBluesMan

TeleBluesMan Tele-Holic

Apples and oranges. Elvis Costello is a great songwriter.

3. blowtorch

He sticks in my craw, simply for calling himself Elvis. He's no Elvis.
    I mean, if the below were my name, I'd change it too...but get your own name. Maybe something like Blyan Adams
    Declan Patrick Aloysius Macmanus
    :lol:

4. scottser

scottser Friend of Leo's

To me EC was best known for Olivers Army, Pump It Up, Watching the Detectives and a gazillion other songs than peace/love/understanding. It doesn't even make most 'best of's.

Eoghaner, bender66, demon and 8 others like this.
  5. Mike M

Mike M Tele-Holic

Just my opinion, but Costello might be the greatest songwriter of this generation. On the same plane as Dylan, McCartney, Lennon, Townsend, etc.

He has written over 500 songs, an astonishing quantity, and the quality has kept steady from 1977 till now.

He is great at the music, but might be one of the best lyricists of all time.

6. _MementoMori_

_MementoMori_ Tele-Afflicted

That cuts like a knife.

7. blowtorch

I'll see your declan patrick etc etc and raise you...
    [​IMG]
    (the one in back :))

8. bsman

bsman Friend of Leo's

I think Costello has a much better grasp of double-entendre, tongue-in-cheek, and a larger vocabulary than Ray, but I do love the Kinks.

mrbdxmpl, Turtleneck and drlucky like this.
  9. maxvintage

maxvintage Poster Extraordinaire

Elvis Costello is great--smart, wrote a lot of fantastic songs that span genres. He could be a dick on occasion back in the day, had a lot of attitude. As an Irish American I like that his real name is Declan McManus

Why is a guy who dislikes the Beatles demanding reverence towards Elvis Presley of all people?

And why are you dissin Costello because,--like Presley--he did a cover that sold better than the original?

bsman and StrangerNY like this.
  10. Fuelish

Fuelish Tele-Holic

foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains, east TN
    And he'd likely think you ain't much of a blowtorch ..... Costello, by whatever name, is an amazing songwriter/lyricist, still putting out great stuff today. Working with Costello, Paul McCartney has said that's the closest he's ever felt in collaboration since John Lennon. I have no problem with his "stage name" ......but sometimes have wondered what his wife calls him... He's called himself several things over the decades. You would actually like or dislike someone based on whatever name they happen to call themselves?

11. blowtorch

Declan Patrick andsoforth was a critic's darling from the start.
    Who was it said "Music journalists like Elvis Costello because music journalists look like Elvis Costello"?
    :p

12. Mike M

Mike M Tele-Holic

Yeah good one. Ray got there first of course, but I think Costello has had a longer run quality wise.

BTW, 20 some years ago, I watched a Super Bowl game with him (Ray) at a party at the Dakota Apt building in NYC.

13. hepular

hepular Tele-Holic

1. Even Lowe sez that Costello's version basically establishes ownership of the song (which started off as a parody of a hippy song).
    2. Kinda like Billy Gibbons, Costello's an insider (& his managers made the name up for him, kinda like "Elton John")
    3. This is THE version going forward (except for maybe the one on Letterman guest-hosted by Costello):

14. Piotr

Piotr Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

kingofdogs1950, Fuelish and Sconnie like this.
  15. blowtorch

That and the Bramlett incident are enough for me to be squarely not a fan

16. Mike M

Mike M Tele-Holic

In 1989 I was at Sam Ash's music shop on 48th street in NYC trying out amps in their "amp room".

Every time I started to play (Mystery Train I believe), some guy behind me would start joining in, horribly out of tune, making it impossible for me to hear the amp I was thinking of buying.

After the third time, I finally turned around to tell the guy that with his playing along, I couldn't hear the amp. I turned, and there was Elvis Costello, playing some guitar he had just grabbed off the wall (hence it being out of tune).

He said something like "keep playing", but I completely froze. After a minute, I tried to play with him, but was so freaked out of my mind, I must have sounded like crap.

We played together for like 5 minutes, doing Mystery Train, That's Alright Mama. Then a friend grabbed him, he said "thanks" and left.

After he walked out of the store, the manager got on the intercom and said "Elvis has left the building". True Story

johnny7, Eoghaner, stepvan and 15 others like this.
  17. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

Why not call himself "Elvis"? Presley hasn't use the name since he hugged that toilet in 1977.

stepvan and kafka like this.
  18. Mike M

Mike M Tele-Holic

Almost ruined his career there (see the song Riot act), and probably put a stop to him in 79 of being even more popular.

They said they were just trying provoke Steven Sill's band, but he definitely crossed a line , which he always regretted. He did end up at one point sharing a stage with Ray Charles, who was gentleman enough to never mention it.

Fuelish and drlucky like this.
  19. posttoastie

posttoastie Tele-Afflicted

Fuelish and Mike M like this.
  20. Mike M

Mike M Tele-Holic

The opening of this alone must have given Bruce Springsteen nightmare's in 1978

kafka, Fuelish and drlucky like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.