Elvis, The Beatles and Bob Dylan...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 2HBStrat, May 14, 2020.

1. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

The British Blues Invasion bands are a pretty substantial group of tribute acts :)

A.B.Negative likes this.
  2. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Tele-Holic

:lol:

3. Hari Seldon

Hari Seldon Tele-Meister

Yes. All my buddies, and even more the girls envied my Robert Johnson wall posters. The wanted to trade - 5 Beatles posters for 1 RJ. Or 10 Elvis.
    All those articles in Bravo (german teen mag), all those RJ tunes played by local bands and by daddys at the campfire.
    Shops full of RJ song- and fanbooks. British bands trying to sound alike.
    Yes, those were the days.

(I am aware you were talking about marketing. But you can't separate influence and marketing.
    And as to his importance - it was more about the myth than everything else. Hollering 12-bars and a detuned acoustic were not really very original.)

2HBStrat likes this.
  4. BorderRadio

It’s not my choice to trash Robert Johnson just to make a point of how popular the Beatles were. That’s on you guys, lol. Influencers and marketing is what made the Beatles what they are, and I’m certain I have a good idea what the rest was about. Howoever, I also see that if I give super fans an inch, they will take a mile. Give a Beatles super fanboy the same, they’ll take a light-year, apparently :D

5. Hari Seldon

Hari Seldon Tele-Meister

Thanks for explaining.
    I always believed it was their music, but man, was I wrong.

6. BorderRadio

That’s what I mean, nobody can really objectively discuss the Beatles as a super fan, since anything slightly contrary the view of “Beatles are Bigger than Hay-sus” is heretical.

7. Hari Seldon

Hari Seldon Tele-Meister

No. I know many people that don't like the Beatles but admit that they were one of the greatest bands musically.
    No everyone who likes them is a dogmatic fanboi, there are quite some serious and educated musicians, even here.

8. BorderRadio

Nobody should need to qualify a musical dislike with “I’m highly educated and very serious”, so therefore more relevant. NONE of this ‘best, most important, most iconic’ is relevant, to be honest, but I hate to break down the 4th wall, so to speak. It’s supposed to be fun, like music is supposed to be, right?

I named several acts that best the Beatles, except the silly ones, of course. It’s the dogmatic who attack that. The Beatles legacy is set, it doesn’t need anymore fans, I’m sure, to keep it going. Elvis, Dylan, will always have fans. The legacy of Tupac and Biggie Smalls is set too, doesnt need a Beatle member to qualify as Best, Most Iconic, Most Important lol.

But yeah, I’m still having fun, are you?

9. Hari Seldon

Hari Seldon Tele-Meister

Not sure what in the end you're talking about...

10. Old Plank

Old Plank Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

On a side note, Al DiMeola just released a nice all-instrumental album of Beatles tunes, mostly acoustic/classical; worth checking out.

Hari Seldon likes this.
  11. saltyseadog

saltyseadog Tele-Meister

Elvis, the Beatles and Dylan changed the world, not just musically, but socially and artistically as well worldwide. None of the other acts mentioned in this thread have done that even though many of them are among my all time favourites whose music I like more than those three acts but none of them had the same generational impact of Elvis, the Beatles and Dylan.

Old Plank likes this.
  12. billiam5billion

billiam5billion TDPRI Member

I’m gonna repeat myself. Listing 3 white rock acts that were mainly relevant between 1955 and 1975 is seriously limiting your scope of influence. You’re ignoring entire genres of music and demographics.

Robert H. likes this.
  13. billiam5billion

You may as well be asking, which three acts are the most influential to white baby boomers?

14. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

So instead, you put your head in the sand and ignore the obvious? Just because some people take it too far doesn't mean that the Beatles weren't a really important cultural phenomenon.

I was guilty of this as a kid. I started out as a huge fan of Led Zeppelin. Then when I started getting into more modern music, my friends gave me all kinds of crap about it- punk rock was garbage, not real music like LED ZEPPELIN, etc etc. So, I decided I hated Led Zeppelin.

Years later, I realized that Led Zeppelin weren't responsible for the attitudes of their rabid fans, and that their music was pretty darn good after all (no matter who they stole it from).

Manual Slim and Old Plank like this.
  15. billiam5billion

3 most influential bands:
    Bad Brains
    Ramones
    New York Dolls

BorderRadio likes this.
  16. BorderRadio

Nah, you got me all wrong. I went through a Beatles phase growing up, and a much shorter Dylan phase, and Elvis was alright with me until I went to the source. Yep, Zep and Sabbath phase too. In some ways, that’s paid dues. I also went in all directions, both forward and back in time. In my teens I was such a snob, and selling out was bad, nobody understood music like me and my friends or whatever. Don’t even, I know what you want to try and say lol...

I was stupid back then. I grew up.

But one thing I did then and do now is listen to music. In some ways I’m chasing the first time I heard something, the excitement and the explosion of emotions that happens with good music. To do that I keep my ears and mind open and I go for it, like nothing before mattered. It’s a fun way to listen to things. Sorry, the Beatles don’t own that process, they didn’t invent it, they made gobs of good songs and it clicked at the right time for them. I never denied their talents, but it’s not my fault I wasn’t there. It’s not my generation, yet I never s**t on their music once, I only now see how they have become overrated and played out. Again, they can be all that: influential, iconic, historically important and also over-rated, over-hyped, over-marketed, and over-worshipped.

They are cross-generational yes, and cross-cultural yes, but I agree with Mr. Boxla above about Uncle Bob, that man is a musical genius, cultural icon and has lots of cross-cultural and cross-generational love, world-wide. I’d hate to live in a world without Rastaman Vibration or Catch A Fire. I can live without one half of the White Album. How long do you want me to bow to the 4 idols of pop rock music? How many times must I say “The Beatles are the most iconic, most important, most influential” over and over to pay for my sins? :)

17. BorderRadio

Now that’s what I mean by giving an inch. Somebody will take that as conceding with the OP, but noo...that would be misconstruing my statement and running it that extra light-year mile.

18. Robert H.

Robert H. Friend of Leo's

Hard to leave Hendrix out of any short list like this. Most influential instrumentalist in forever

BorderRadio likes this.
  19. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

Joe Dolce, Lieutenant Pigeon, Ken Dodd

20. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.